What's new

Open comb DE recommendations

Yes those are beautiful but also +250$ especially here in Europe, and besides that I never tried an OC so maybe its wise to start with something more reasonable priced and see if I like it 😄
As an alternative, I suggest a Merkur 15C. Great open comb razor and reasonably priced.

Yes was looking at this one too, so far it's a toss between the Fatip grande, Muhle R41 and Razorock sloc
SLOC is pretty mild (not Merkur mild though), definitely not in the same ballpark as either the R41 (which is not really an OC) or Fatip. Nice razor though. Go Schone .

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
You have plenty of great options without having to try to import something from outside the EU.

Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Fatip Grande
Gillette NEW RFB
Gillette Goodwill 160

And, if you really want to take a walk on the wild side, the Roedter 1909. :eek2:

You have plenty of great options without having to try to import something from outside the EU.

Fatip Lo Storto Originale (aka FOCS)
Fatip Grande
Gillette NEW RFB
Gillette Goodwill 160

And, if you really want to take a walk on the wild side, the Roedter 1909. :eek2:
Now just a sec ...I understand the coolness factor attached to the Goodwill 160 but the only difference between it and a common and cheaper Long Comb are the posts vs slots and slightly different end teeth. They are identical in geometry, at least my pair are, being sourced from the same parts bin. If a 160 is hard to land a standard LC should be comparable if you get one with the early non common bar handle.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Razorock Game Changer in OC or JAWS variant. If you like efficiency, the .84 OC might be best, I found the JAWS to be more aggressive than the R41 personally

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Now just a sec ...I understand the coolness factor attached to the Goodwill 160 but the only difference between it and a common and cheaper Long Comb are the posts vs slots and slightly different end teeth. They are identical in geometry, at least my pair are, being sourced from the same parts bin. If a 160 is hard to land a standard LC should be comparable if you get one with the early non common bar handle.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Those base plates and combs sure look different to me. ;)

Personally, I love the way the Goodwill 160 shaves. :001_wub:

And I really dig the Canadian Goodwill Reverse Stud 175. :001_wub:

20210407_183030_2.jpg

Those base plates and combs sure look different to me. ;)

Personally, I love the way the Goodwill 160 shaves. :001_wub:

And I really dig the Canadian Goodwill Reverse Stud 175. :001_wub:

View attachment 1328936
Once you account for my not aligning the plates properly I don't think there's a difference in geometry. I like the 160 just fine too, I just don't think it's any better than the Long Comb. I'm a Short Comb man myself.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Once you account for my not aligning the plates properly I don't think there's a difference in geometry. I like the 160 just fine too, I just don't think it's any better than the Long Comb. I'm a Short Comb man myself.

The Short Comb is also an excellent razor and certainly worthy of consideration. :)

I'll dig out my Goodwill that's the Short Comb version and post some pics. :)

Lots of good suggestions above. In the vintage realm, Gillette NEW short comb (SC) and Gillette Raised Flat Bottom (RFB) razors came to mind for smooth but efficient razors. If you want more efficient the New Improved is more efficient and blade forward but comes at the cost of reduced smoothness, the New Deluxe is a good choice for more efficient.

For modern, Fatip is a great choice at a reasonable price. If you want to spend a bit more, you could look into getting a used ATT R2/H2 to try an open comb, Timeless open combs are very pleasant but again at a higher cost.

If you decide on modern, which can cost a bit more, I'd recommend evaluating your current razors for your thoughts on blade-feel, smoothness, and efficiency and then use that to compare to reviews of modern razors to see if it'll meet your desired objectives.

Keep us posted on what you choose and how you enjoy it!

Super Budget - Fatip Lo Storto (Tehcnically an Open Comb Slant, but don't let that scare you. This is one amazing razor)
Entry level premium - Razorock GC .84 Open Comb or Lupo .72 Open Comb
Premium - Tatara Nodachi Open Comb, Blackbird Open Comb (Shane has a close out sale of the brassbird, SUPER affordable at the moment) Timeless .95 Open Comb

Thanks for all the beautiful suggestions 👍

Really like all the Vintage razors you guys listed but I'm in Europe which means they are relatively hard to find or very expensive and since I don't want to break the bank on a type of razors I never tried I narrowed it down to these

Fatip grande or piccolo
Merkur 15C
Razorock GC 0.84 OC (base only since it would fit the HD handle I already have)

Last edited:
IMG_20220909_094200.jpg
my favorite open comb is this Franken razor. Top cap from Razorock old type razor, bottom plate from Fatip open comb and replica old type handle. I did not like the original Fatip open comb and RR old type cap really turns this into a more enjoyable open comb. I have also tried this with Pearl open comb bottom plate and it works the same but I prefer Fatip because of the better materials used.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Well... this thread was started a while ago, but since it started, the Lupo .95 is now being offered in an OC variant. Definitely worth checking out!

Top Bottom