What's new

Open-Comb DE Razors...

Hello,
I've been on here before and decided to log back in. Anyway, I've been wet-Shaving since about 2015. The first razor I started with is an Edwin Jagger DE89, which I still use. I also have some Vintage Gilletes including a blue tip, Silver Tip, Red Tip, and some Vintage Gillette Adjustable razors. In addition, I have a Merkur Futur and a Parker 99r. I really stay away from using those two because the Merkur Futur has a large head and it makes it difficult to shave under the nose. I know you can go at an angle, but I just gave up on the Futur. As far as the Parker 99r, I find it too aggressive. I recently went back and tries the Gillette Blue tip and got a better shave with it than the EJ DE-89.

I've been looking into open-comb razors and read somewhere that they are good for guys who don't shave everyday and the hairs and shaving soap don't get clogged in the razor/blade. Is that true?

As far as open comb razors go, are they all aggressive? I have somewhat sensitive skin, yet I don't shave everyday, so I was wanting to know if there is an open-comb DE Razor that isn't aggressive?

I was looking at some Vintage Gillette open Combs, but wasn't sure how aggressive they are.

Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

Thank You
Korey

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
A few vintage open combs that I find very comfortable are:

New Long Comb/Short Comb
Goodwill #160
Sheraton
Senator
1st Generation British Aristocrat
1934 Aristocrat

Timeless SS .68 or .95 OC , I use the scalloped cap
Gillette old type
Early Gillette Aristocrats, US or British

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My two cents...

These were aggressive for me when I was a new shaver. But, after several months, as my technique improved, I was able to shave with them well and enjoy them. And the first three have the added bonus of being very cheap and easy to obtain.

NEW Long Comb/Short Comb
Old Type
Single Ring
NEW Flat Bottom

These are too aggressive for me to enjoy. The first two are so aggressive, that I can't even finish the shave usually. To be able to use the timeless OC, I have to be using a very smoothed out blade, with above 60 uses or so. The Improved is a little kinder: I can finish the shave, but it has a bit more blade feel than I normally like.

Goodwill #160
Timeless 68 OC
NEW Improved

These are my favorite vintage open Combs. Smooth, comfortable, and still close-cutting. The first is a little expensive, and the rest are very expensive, unfortunately.

Sheraton
1st Generation British Aristocrat (15 etc)
NEW Deluxe
1934 & '36 Aristocrat ('36 is smoother for me)

Also note that

* open Combs are not required to cut longer stubble. I routinely use a mild razor to knock down multiple days of growth easily.

* it is definitely a myth that OC razors are always aggressive

* If you are using a closed comb razor now, and it's getting clogged, then your lather is likely at fault, and needs more water. Switching to an oc may not be an instant fix if you're still using a lather that is too dry.

(Sent from mobile)

As a mild razor fan myself I find that the PAA DOC Ascension in stainless or copper is a very comfortable and efficient shaver. Out of open combs that I have used. The Fatip open comb (grande, piccolo, retro etc) is too aggressive for me, I am however giving it a second chance as I ordered a new special edition hoping the newest models are tame since I love my closed comb Gentile version
The Razorock old type was too mild (inefficient) and the Fendrihan Kingston open comb wasn't as comfortable or efficient.
There are many users on this site that like me, rank their PAA DOC Ascension as one of their top performing razors. The cost of the aluminum version might be a good place to start? The Stainless version and copper version are approaching the lower end of the premium razor price point... Also the Ikon B1 open comb deluxe is well regarded (have never used it however).
YMMV as always.

My understanding is that they’re meant for those with HEAVIER beards, regardless of how OFTEN you shave. 🤓

Having SENSITIVE skin myself, and shaving practically EVERY day, that’s why I stick with “closed comb” razors.

My 2 cents. 😎💈

Seems you already like Gillettes. Pick up an Old Type. Very efficient and smooth and is a great daily driver.

Old Types are tied for second for best overall shaver in my entire rotation.

The Merkur 15C is a modern copy of the old type. I've got the travel version (985) with a shorter two-piece handle but the same head.

If you're looking for something mild and easy to use it's perfect. The 15C has negative blade exposure making it almost impossible to get a nick. I always enjoy using it.

I don't think a closed-comb would cope so well with long hair.

Open comb razor designs preceded the safety bar designs that are more common today. Open combs look more intimidating, but they are not necessarily aggressive.

Razorock SLOC, Razorock Old Type, Merkur 15c and Parker 26c are some open comb razors that are on the mild side. There are several others that are more expensive.

All vintage Rotbart OC razors are quite mild as is the Merkur 15c which is modiefied and milder but based on those. You also could look into the Giesen & Forsthoff OC, also very mild.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
You get in general more blade feel from OC versions of the same razor.

It's very different though. The Merkur OC is extremely mild for instance. The Game Changer .84 SB and OC are quite different.

OC heads being for sailors and people shaving not often, well, I think it is rather how much blade feel you would like. You would realistically have to reduce a massive beard before with any kind of razor head. Lather flow and feeling are just different with an OC.

I like my Lupo DC very much for this reason: OC and SB side. I don't like to use an OC for cleaning up the corners of the mouth, I use the SB side for that. When it comes to getting rid of the last stubble standing, OC and SB give me another option for the correction pass. Usually the OC does it better, though. Would love a .95 OC and SB, but the .72 OC is already about as effective as the .95 SB side, so much about that. The only irritating aspect of this dual comb design is that both sides are actually so close together in practice.

I've been looking into open-comb razors and read somewhere that they are good for guys who don't shave everyday and the hairs and shaving soap don't get clogged in the razor/blade. Is that true?

As far as open comb razors go, are they all aggressive? I have somewhat sensitive skin, yet I don't shave everyday, so I was wanting to know if there is an open-comb DE Razor that isn't aggressive?

TL;DR yes, no, yes.
For more info check out
and you can search for specific models in the review section.

The Razorock SLOC has a good reputation here. It's inexpensive and mild while efficient.

I looked it up online. Does it only come in a 3-piece? Any recommendations on the best place to purchase it from? Obviously, I have looked it up and see it is available many places. Just wondering if there are suggestions as to which place to buy from?

Thank You.

I looked it up online. Does it only come in a 3-piece? Any recommendations on the best place to purchase it from? Obviously, I have looked it up and see it is available many places. Just wondering if there are suggestions as to which place to buy from?

Thank You.
Some say that the Yaqi Mellon head on Aliexpress is the same razor head. It sure looks like it. If you've already got a handle that's the cheapest way, but you'll have to wait for a few weeks most likely. $8.50 for just the head and free shipping from the Yaqi store. I have bought a razor from them and was pleased. 8.5US $ |Yaqi Mellon Safety Razor Head Without Logo for Shaving Razors|Razor| - AliExpress - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32853918904.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.6.3d784490CJmWo8

The Groomatorium currently has it for $14.39. Their website claims " First class shipping in the USA will not cost more than $4.99 " I've never ordered from there, but have seen it mentioned a few times on this site. RazoRock - SLOC Double Edge Razor - https://groomatorium.com/collections/all/products/copy-of-razorock-satin-silver-hawk-single-edge-razor

I got mine from therazorcompany, but they've been out of stock for months.

I ordered the following:

1x RazoRock SLOC Double-Edge Safety Razor - SLOC Head + Super Knurl Handle for $21.99 each

Subtotal : $ 21.99 USD

Shipping : $ 7.99 USD

Total : $ 29.98 USD

I got it from ItalianBarber.com. I was having a hard time finding from a U.S. Online source.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom