What's new

Open carry holster for S&W SD9VE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I may have asked this before, can’t recall.

Looking for a OWB for open carry. Smith & Wesson SD9VE

Sub $100 would be nice. Sub $50 even better.
Doesn’t have to be leather. I would prefer if the holster was molded (made specifically) for the firearm. I’ve seen some holsters that work for multiple firearms and they don’t really appeal to me. Won’t be an EDC. I just want the option to carry the firearm because as it sits now I don’t have a holster at all.

Cheers!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Since you said the OWB would be for "open carry" and not concealed carry, I would suggest, the Blackhawk Serpa Holster.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Sp...18-20&linkId=3b4207b151c2072caaf4b3ad4f355ffa

1. It comes in at your, "even better" price of under $50.

2. "Open Carry" means having some type of "retention system." The Serpa has this with the index finger retention release tab on the side of the holster, which locks your pistol into place and secure against gun grabs. It also still allows for a smooth, fast and natural draw.

3. It comes with two belt attachments. A paddle attachment for easy, on & off, or a belt loop attachment which will secure the holster to your side.

4. While the outside of the holster, is not molded, the inside is designed and made to only fit your SDVE.

5. You would be hard pressed to find a molded holster with also an retention gadget. Most molded outside the waistband holsters are for concealed carry and might have a retention screw, that tightens the gun in the holster from natural movement, but not help with securing against a gun grab when open carrying is desired.

Matching mag pouch.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Do...6H07RVJYS96&psc=1&refRID=RA18Z5HKM6H07RVJYS96

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
That looks ideal but I don’t see the SD9VE in the drop down menu.

Since you said the OWB would be for "open carry" and not concealed carry, I would suggest, the Blackhawk Serpa Holster.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Sp...18-20&linkId=3b4207b151c2072caaf4b3ad4f355ffa

1. It comes in at your, "even better" price of under $50.

2. "Open Carry" means having some type of "retention system." The Serpa has this with the index finger retention release tab on the side of the holster, which locks your pistol into place and secure against gun grabs. It also still allows for a smooth, fast and natural draw.

3. It comes with two belt attachments. A paddle attachment for easy, on & off, or a belt loop attachment which will secure the holster to your side.

4. While the outside of the holster, is not molded, the inside is designed and made to only fit your SDVE.

5. You would be hard pressed to find a molded holster with also an retention gadget. Most molded outside the waistband holsters are for concealed carry and might have a retention screw, that tightens the gun in the holster from natural movement, but not help with securing against a gun grab when open carrying is desired.

Matching mag pouch.

https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Do...6H07RVJYS96&psc=1&refRID=RA18Z5HKM6H07RVJYS96
I have and use this exact holster for my sr9. Great holster. I love it in the wilderness.

OkieStubble

I have and use this exact holster for my sr9. Great holster. I love it in the wilderness.

+1. It’s very versatile. Can be used for open carry. Concealed carry, if a jacket, suit jacket unbuttoned button up is used. It makes a great range and/or training holster.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
One thing to consider is that the basic design of the Blackhawk Serpa Holster has several issues. One is that it's very possible to jam the release so you cannot draw the gun. The second is more serious. The release will lock if you first lift the gun before pressing the button. This has lead to some well publicized cases of folk shooting themselves when trying to draw from a Blackhawk Serpa Holster.

I'd suggest looking at some other options.

OkieStubble

One thing to consider is that the basic design of the Blackhawk Serpa Holster has several issues. One is that it's very possible to jam the release so you cannot draw the gun. The second is more serious. The release will lock if you first lift the gun before pressing the button. This has lead to some well publicized cases of folk shooting themselves when trying to draw from a Blackhawk Serpa Holster.

I have never had a problem with mine. i'm sure the odds are there, if you are crawling around in gravel or pebbles. The odds are there to win the lottery also. :)

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

If your weapon did hang up on the draw and you shot yourself, that would give a whole new meaning to Black Hawk Down. :biggrin1:

I wouldn’t use a Sherpa.

Check Bladetek. They make inexpensive, good enough paddles, and if they don’t have one modeled, they probably will make you one.

Top tier leather is gonna be spendy. But, The Mitch Rosen Express line of holsters isn’t bad. Wright Leather is another decent choice.
Either is better than most production goods.
Andrews, Grizzle, Ritchie, Sparks. Costly but will last for decades.
Both Rosen and Wright have product from between $75-$100

OkieStubble

Not at all sure it was fun. Even thought I heard him say a "Gosh Darn!"

Ol' Tex has lost alot of weight and has been working out since then, looks completely different then he did then. Does alot of Bow Hunting too.

I have watched all the negative videos of the Blackhawk Serpa from the Military Arms Channel, Active Self Protection and others. From what I have seen watching these types of videos, there are only two problems that they "find" but do not address a "solution."

1. Pulling the gun first and then pushing the release second, will cause it to lock up and not release. However, learning to use it in the proper way it was meant and then training that way, negates this issue. I actually carry a Serpa Level III duty holster when in uniform for many years now. Too many to count the times I have had that pistol out of this holster during training and on hot calls.

It has always given me quick access to the pistol and a smooth and fast draw. In my experience, any brand of anything can be "what if'd to death." From holsters to guns to cars, there are those who love them; and those who say, 'but what if this happens, or if this happens? Then what?"

2. 99% of Serpa holsters that are and will be used by the civilian carry market, will be carried and used in a urban/suburban environment. So unless it's being used, in a dusty, sandy, deserts of Iraq type of environment? I don't think the average concealed or open carrier, has to worry about some infarious, alien pebble, getting caught in the retention release tab and causing deadly havoc by locking up their gun in a dust, desert, gravel type gunfight.

The concrete jungle, in which 99% of us, walk, live and breath, just won't ever provide this type of risk. So, if you take that Serpa to training one day, in a dirty, sandy environment and it gets locked up with sand? Hose the darn thing out and continue with your training because it's just training. You will still be going back to the concrete jungle when your training is over with a clean Serpa holster. :)

What I think is weird, is people having all this fear about the Serpa in dust and sandy conditions, but I have seen countless videos of special forces and others, carrying Serpa holsters in their chest rigs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I feel bad that Tex Grebner shot himself in the leg using a Serpa. But pulling the pistol first and then trying to depress the retention lever AFTER, IS NOT the proper way to use the Serpa. And he should have never been on a live fire range before having enough holster time with a Serpa and a cocked and locked 1911, before being absolutely sure his training and muscle memory in drawing from a Serpa correctly, was rock solid.

Because let's be honest. If his training was rock solid? Once he pulled on that pistol and it wouldn't release? His training should have told him, TO NOT continue TO FORCE trying to pull it out to the point of straining against the proper use of the Serpa design in the first place. He should have automatically released his grip, from all of the over stress he was placing on the gun, on the holster, and on his trigger finger, the second he new there was lock up, not continue to try and force the issue or release the thumb safety on his 1911 before he even new he had holster release in the first place.

His training, should have communicated to him, to release his death pull and tension instead; and then just simply start over, by simply pushing the release tab FIRST and then easily drawing his pistol while engaging his thumb safety simultaneously.

While I give him kudos for his honesty and forward thinking of helping others by his mishap after the incident, The fault still does not lie with Serpa and never has. It only lies with Tex.

Tex is a great guy, but it is still the truth.

Last edited:
@Bhugo I like this holster a lot. It is actually my truck holster. I have one of their mounts that’s made for it under the dash. My pistol stays there during my few days a week of work. It uses the paddle to clip in the mount. I believe this one comes with the belt slide as well if it will be used as a dedicated EDC rig and there isn’t a need to take it on and off. It has quite a bit of adjustability as well, cant and ride height and especially on the retention.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

@Bhugo I like this holster a lot. It is actually my truck holster. I have one of their mounts that’s made for it under the dash. My pistol stays there during my few days a week of work. It uses the paddle to clip in the mount. I believe this one comes with the belt slide as well if it will be used as a dedicated EDC rig and there isn’t a need to take it on and off. It has quite a bit of adjustability as well, cant and ride height and especially on the retention.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019
Thank you.

Sorry to hijack the thread Jason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom