What's new

OOTD- oolong of the day

15 yo aged siji oolong. High in caffeine, has a strong honey taste, some feeling in throat in early brews, and some sensate sweetness in late brews.

Supermarket Shui Hsien again today. Just brewing up a giant pot at a time - I think I should have used a few more leaves as its not as dark as I like it. Still quite nice. I wonder what a higher quality one would be like?

I don't see an oolong of the day thread, so I thought I'd start one since I probably drink more oolong than any other kind of tea! Drinking an excellent high roast TGY from Geow Hong, an old outfit here in HK. The tea itself is excellent and very smooth drinking, and less 'intense' than their lower grade. Brewed in a ~90 ml Zini Yixing. Excellent tea :)

Hey,gimmee oolong as well! i usually start each day with 5-6(4oz.) cups of light green taiwan oolong after lunch and through the afternoon it's TGY Anxi oolong.
Of course i'll try many others and drink more of the green during warmer season. As for puerh, i have plenty laying around.It makes a terrific mosquito repellent.:biggrin1:

Today i'll be having Gao-Shan oolong from "its about tea" im sure i'v done a pictoral on it before.. ah yes here it is:

To start today's tea-o-thon off lets start with Gao-shan From It's about tea. heres what they have to say about this tea:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif]This is a “High Mountain” Oolong grown in the northern region of Taiwan on Wen Shan Mountain at an elevation of 3,000’ (1,200metres). It’s grown in limited quantities and is prized throughout Taiwan as one of the finest oolongs available. The fresh, young leaf is curled and lightly oxidized, so the liquor released has a fresh, crisp flavour, leaving a “sweet-dryness” at the back of your throat. The leaves can be infused multiple times and will release a smooth, soothing flavour each time. This oolong is among the finest available in Taiwan.[/FONT]

Amount: 5.2g in dayi gaiwan 80c

First infusion 1:30

Nutty , bready ,and creamy lightly floral on the finish.

Second infusion 1m

Thick and creamy with almost a green tea latte flavor. tastes like green tea flavored milk.

Third infusion: 1:30

Sweet and creamy really soothing delicate flavor.

Fourth Infusion: 2m.

Lactose sweetness is giving way to a more green oolong flavor.

Fifth Infusion: 3m

Fresh nuttyness, the lactose sweetness is holding on in the background it has a finish of leafy greens.

Sixth infusion: 4m @ 85c

Still sweet lightly dry now slightly green flavor.

Seventh Infusion 5m

More green flavor but still sweet. Brew is still Thick and creamy.

Eighth infusion: 7m

Dryer but still sweet and green. seems to have quite a bit more life left in it.

Final thoughts A lovely sweet thick creamy tea that will be great for beginners getting into Oolongs. not amazingly deep or complex but the flavors it dose have are of the highest pleasantness a great evening drink for those who want something to sooth them to sleep.

$HJB.jpg

Hey,gimmee oolong as well! i usually start each day with 5-6(4oz.) cups of light green taiwan oolong after lunch and through the afternoon it's TGY Anxi oolong.
Of course i'll try many others and drink more of the green during warmer season. As for puerh, i have plenty laying around.It makes a terrific mosquito repellent.:biggrin1:

There is indeed a massive OOTD thread I missed :p Which TW oolong do you drink? And you live in Laos...too cool!

PS, Yeah i missed the thread also. The taiwan oolong i'm currently drinking is "Alishan high mountain" a product of online "justTea" a family owned plantation.Its a lightly oxidised,strong but mellow with no grassy or bitterness. i can drink it all day but enjoy the roasted tgy too much.
I've been in Lao for almost 7 yrs. Not really a tea culture(to warm?) but they have some decent tea up north near the chinese border. Where i believe most ends up.
BTW,does Geow Hong mail out? enjoy!:thumbup1:

Alishan is decent stuff! I had a friend in TW bring me a nice selection of gaoshan (high mountain) and aged TW oolongs. I like the roasted stuff more myself!

Would love to visit Laos one day! Geow Hong does not mail tea, but PM me and I may be able to help. :)

Picked up some 2013 winter Dongpian oolong from zen8tea.

Only on my second brew, so I haven't perfected the brewing yet. It's very mellow, only 15% oxidized. Probably a keeper, not one of those bright higher-oxidation oolongs I'm always ranting loses all its goodness by June. Nice yellow liquor, hints of green tea like flavor to it, with only a hint of that oxidation flavor. It's mellow enough to be a puerh replacement for me--I generally can't drink tea at night except for puerh, but this doesn't agitate me and keep me awake. Nicely done, though no prize on my shelf. (OTOH, it apparently did win a bronze award, but I rarely like award teas--too green for my tastes.)

Sounds like an interesting tea,do hope it proves to be worthy of its award. After all, my GF bakes award winning bread. That what she tell's me!:thumbup:

2011 ShanLinXi from Floating Leaves. I haven't been drinking much tea lately but a visit to the Floating Leaves shop has me back on track.

Supermarket Shui Hsien again.

Seems to be falling a bit flat today. Not sure if it's the water or just that my palate has developed since last I had a mug of this one. Somewhere out in the world there are some higher-class oolongs already on their way to me. I look forward to the comparison.

Finally I can join this great thread.
Today I bought my first oolong tea, Gui Fei to be precise.

The taste is wonderful - sweet honeyish, even a little pungent on the first steep.
With each infusion the floral notes came out more an more. I'm very pleased.

59-hour Hong Kong-roasted Tieguanyin in a Yixing shuiping I only use for high roast oolongs (TGY and SX, pretty much). Very nice revisiting my high fire teas after a long hiatus in India where I could only drink Assam with milk.

My grandmother who was born,raised in India til she was 14 yrs. courtesy of Royal British Army. She'd insist on feeding me assam w/milk and caraway seed cookies. As i grew older she started giving me Nabob Tea w/milk of course. I still cannot enjoy assam w/milk or caraway seeds:angry:

Top Bottom