What's new

Oops

So the tobacco from my local B&M comes in small plastic bags. I have 3 different varieties including one that is a cherry. I have been storing all my stuff in a cigar box until i have a more permanent solution. Well the other day i went to open up a bag that wasn't cherry and instantly got hit with a strong cherry odor.

It seems some of the cheery has overpowered my other tobacco.

I took the cherry out and waited about a week and a half and it still has a cherry scent.

Does this bag now permanently have a cherry aroma to it?

And im assuming glass jars are probably the answer to my problem?

Yep to all counts :). Imagine how much the Cherry and other aromatics ghosts a pipe when you smoke it.

I was afraid of that.

Looks like I am going ro have to buy some jars and a new bag of that blend.

I like the aromatics because the smell is part of the overall enjoyment for me. Maybe it makes sense to have a pipe specific to each blend?

Anyway, lesson learned i guess.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I was afraid of that.

Looks like I am going ro have to buy some jars and a new bag of that blend.

I like the aromatics because the smell is part of the overall enjoyment for me. Maybe it makes sense to have a pipe specific to each blend?

Anyway, lesson learned i guess.

It depends on your tastes. If you smoke a Cherry blend in a pipe it will make all your subsequent bowls have that Cherry taste. If you then smoke a heavy vanilla blend in it you will get a Cherry vanilla flavor. Might not be a bad thing, but you won’t ever get a pure vanilla or Cherry flavor out of that pipe for a while. I personally smoke aros in a cob, and the rest of my briars are for non aromatics.

You might be able to un ghost a little bit by placing the affected bags of baccy in direct sunlight for a few hours.....might help a bit, but you’re basically going to have cherry for days.

It definitely isn’t ruined. I’d smoke them like you originally were going too. Who knows, you might find you like it and know early on how to make your own personal blend. Might be the next Germain or Esoterica :)

I can hear it now.

Jbird45 in stock at cupojoes and smoking pipes. 2 bag max, $50 a bag! ...... nevermind, already sold out.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
So the tobacco from my local B&M comes in small plastic bags. I have 3 different varieties including one that is a cherry. I have been storing all my stuff in a cigar box until i have a more permanent solution. Well the other day i went to open up a bag that wasn't cherry and instantly got hit with a strong cherry odor.

It seems some of the cheery has overpowered my other tobacco.

I took the cherry out and waited about a week and a half and it still has a cherry scent.

Does this bag now permanently have a cherry aroma to it?

And im assuming glass jars are probably the answer to my problem?

Go to the grocer and buy some mason jars. Dump your buys into the jars. Plastic bags short of mylar are at best a temporary container anyway.

Some of the stench you are encountering may be absorption into the bags. Plastic is more permeable than you think. A couple years ago, someone gave me a pouch of CB (which I don't smoke). I took the sealed pouch, sealed it in a hefty freezer bag, and tossed in the back of the drawer. Discovered it last year. The bag, and the drawer, now have a delightful imbedded odor. Great air freshener.

If you are still in the sampling stage, buy some extra lids. You can wash out the jars as you rotate your stock, but the lids can absorb some of the most pungent blends.

Heavier topped aromatics are the Pigpen of your stash. They are best kept away from their cleaner, more fastidious, playmates. And from each other, too. But near off-gassing will not be as bad as when it burns in the bowl.

Jar up the soiled innocents for a couple weeks to see if they can shake off the tin note bullying. The most delicate blends may not. But many will surprise you.

The good news is that tin notes are somewhat severable from room notes and flavor when they are burning. You may find that they are still very faithful once lit.

It’s a cheap early mistake that many of us make. I would just take those future steps, smoke it up, and move on.

Set aside specific pipes for your stronger blends. Ghosting is an interesting matter, and it is more of an issue for lighter more delicate blends that demand a neutral bowl.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be picking up some mason jars and some extra lids, and might even have to make a fancy cabinet in my woodshop to house all this stuff.

One good thing though is my tobacco started to dry out from leaving it in the bag so now its easier to keep lit👍

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be picking up some mason jars and some extra lids, and might even have to make a fancy cabinet in my woodshop to house all this stuff.

One good thing though is my tobacco started to dry out from leaving it in the bag so now its easier to keep lit👍
Good luck finding mason jars. I’ve had decent luck at some local farm & home stores and grocers. Not so much at Wally World.

Top Bottom