What's new

Oops I bought a lathe....

What could be in this box you ask?

$uploadfromtaptalk1393557647768.jpg

A nice vintage unimat, I already had the resin stock waiting.
$uploadfromtaptalk1393557692929.jpg

Turning it down...
$uploadfromtaptalk1393557760828.jpg

Seeing what it looks like polished up.
$uploadfromtaptalk1393557799538.jpg

Now I'm only getting started here but there will be plenty more to come. I'm open to suggestions on shapes to try and cool things. I will be trying to make a razor handle soon as well.

I can't wait until my supplier has the moonjava resin back in stock!

Regards
Dave

Nice! Always glad to see more folks pick up the tools and start making shave gear. Best of luck in your new found hobby / avocation! Beware the slippery slope of pouring your own cool resins... but when you do, let me know. ;-)

Makes me want a lathe again!

Check out these Unimat's they are constantly for sale on Ebay for very reasonable prices. They are great for small projects like this and are actually also Mills. the motor comes off and turns into a vertical assembly for milling. Considering I can fit this in my closet its a nice little piece.

Regards
Dave

Dave, where did you get that white stripe material? Looks sweet!

http://www.exoticblanks.com/resin-acrylic-stoppers/

They seem to be for making bottle stoppers. so far I only have 2 issues with them.
1) they seemed to have used a saw that was not fixed to anything so the cut was not perfectly square, it made mounting it in the lathe a bit awkward since my chuck is not that big.
2) it only comes in a 2ish inch length. This is not necessarily an issue and I have yet to contact them to see if they will cut me a bigger piece.

Other than that its been great stuff so far and it looks really great as well. They are out of the multi-color version but as soon as its in stock ill be ordering some.

Regards
Dave

Oh man! I was surfing the web for shaving products (as usual) - this time looking for shaving brush/razor stands and stumbled upon the Woodcraft site... They have great stand, razor handle, and brush turning kits! http://www.woodcraft.com/category/5/1002262/2081311/Razor Turning Kit.aspx
I was thinking I should buy a lathe and could take up woodworking... Maybe even I could turn out great pieces of art like these:
$AIR_20140228_00000.jpg$AIR_20140228_00001.jpg
Have fun!!!

I'm waiting for my cut off tool to arive so I can finish this brush. It's pictured here with a chubby 1 and some uncut resin stock. I'm calling this one "fat bottom girl.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393700566.632349.jpg

Regards
Dave

I always wanted to see a real long handle with a really really big knot. So like knot is 30mm diameter and like 60 height.

Dries

Top Bottom