What's new

OoooooooZuuuuuuuuKooooooooo

Lovin' this one alot today. Ozuku Mizu Asagi, size 30. If today's edge shaves as well as I think it's going to - this one's going to be my go-to bench stone. It's more than hard/fine enough to finish on too. In fact - it may give my Nakayama Asagi a good run. Time will tell.

proxy.php

wow, that is gigantic.

I hope your great great great great great....................great grandkids are using straights and put this to use after we are all long gone.

Wow that's huge. Nice stone..

And using a silpat as a non slip surface, I might have to pinch one from work... brilliant.

Wow that's huge. Nice stone..

And using a silpat as a non slip surface, I might have to pinch one from work... brilliant.

Thanks - Silpats are awesome to hone on top of. They grip, repel water, and they clean up with a damp towel. They have a little give, so if you slip and drop a stone or Nagura there's some cushioning.

Gamma, nice stone as usual, since you have no use for your other stones I can take care of them for you.

Gamma, nice stone as usual, since you have no use for your other stones I can take care of them for you.
Well - I get bored easily so I think I'll hang on to them for a while. :001_cool:

First edge off this one was a huge success. It has a totally different feel to it also - its hard to explain exactly but it's kinda like honing on wet silk.
As an added attraction - there is a phantom Namazu pattern that shows up when the stone is soaked. It's kind of cool looking. I don't really know what it is to be honest - I just like calling it Phantom Namazu.

I had decided I wanted a big stone - end of story. Razor size stones are fine - but I like to have more real estate and that's that.
I also wanted it to be flat on the bottom and very hard, but hard like an older stone. This Ozuku is very similar to my Okudo, which is a vintage Jnat that I picked up from Alex (thanks Alex). By vintage I mean mined a long time ago. The Ozuku is harder, and larger... but otherwise similar in speed and touch.

Could you post a better pic? The angle does not show well the color, mizu asagi is real light gray, even whet.

Mizu Asagi can have a range of blue-grey mix and it can darken a bit when wet too. This stone definitely has that mix albeit somewhat subtle.
This stone actually seems to lighten up a bit when wet, but that could be because of the lighting at that sink. At any rate, it's very interesing. I do have a pic of it before I lapped it, but I'm having a problem with my SD card. I can see the pix but I can't read/write with it. Even commands through Terminal aren't working.
At any rate - color can be somewhat interpretive and I'm ok with anyone calling it whatever they like, but I'm calling it Mizu Asagi.

Top Bottom