What's new

Oom Paul and Churchwardens

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've never tried either an Oom Paul or Churchwarden. Is there really a reason I should? Both shapes seem as if they would be a bit more difficult to maintain. I.e., getting the pipe cleaner through the curve of an Oom Paul or needing extra long pipe cleaners for a churchwarden.

Are they just fun or is there function to these pipe shapes?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Mostly for fun with the Churchwarden, while the Oom is supposed to me supremely clenchable. A chin-sitter if you will.

I enjoy my neerup churwarden.

My Tinsky Oom Paul is so comfortable to smoke while reading. Stuff it full of VA and go on with it. Hands free except for having relights or tamping.

Pipe cleaners on the Oom Paul aren't horrible while smoking. Churchwarden just needs long cleaners. Local shop has all sorts of pipe cleaner options. No worries there.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
A cheap way to try a Churchwarden is with a Churchwarden Forever Stem and a bent MM cob, or one of MM own Churchwardens.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Morgan Pipes has some Churchwardens for 65.00. Acrylic stemmed Bones.

Both of them hang nicely. And if you're lucky, or the maker is talented, they'll pass a pc. A BST:

proxy.php

and a Bones / Wiebe:

proxy.php

Last edited:
Both of them hang nicely. And if you're lucky, or the maker is talented, they'll pass a pc. A BST:

proxy.php

and a Bones / Wiebe:

proxy.php

I can't work out if that Bones is really ugly or not, I really really like it though.

Edit: Looking at the Wiebe website, I think I've decided it's beautiful, I like the straight ones as well.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
519536D8-954F-4B8F-A797-F4F9BD8501AB.jpeg
Smoking a GBD Oom Paul that I’ve had for years but hadn’t smoked before. I suppose I was intimidated by the volume of the bowl, but I ‘be grown into it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Finding the GBD Oom Paul to be perfect for smoking while reading or working on a laptop as it is completely out of the way of your (working) visual field while doing so. Relatively easy to clinch as it is indeed a "chin sitter" as described by @Kentos. It is a bit awkward to light though, and my particular pipe is subject to gurgling and does not pass a pipe cleaner all the way to the bowl, but enough to resolve the gurgling. If I ever buy another, it will be a flat bottomed true sitter.

In the previous post, I meant " … I've grown into it", meaning being able to tolerate a larger volume bowl.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
An Oom Paul sits well in a clinch and feels wonderful in the hand. It's a great shape with a number of interesting variations among and between makers.

While a churchwarden does make for a cooler smoke, it often is more of a novelty. That doesn't mean one cannot find a quality pipe at a reasonable price, though. It's a good change of pace from time to time.

Top Bottom