What's new

~ only one blade for your rest of life ~

If forced to choose, Derby Extra. Sharp enough in my razors and as smooth as it gets even if they only last 4 shaves

Nice to see Derby getting the respect it deserves. Long before the pre/post 2016 theories and the introduction of the Premium line, Derbys were considered an excellent blade with positive reviews on various forums. Then a couple of guys posted about the poor shave they had and all of a sudden they were no good, rough, very poor and completely ineffective against very manly, extremely coarse stubble. Under magnification Derbys have one of the most well prepared edges available. The multiple coatings "break-in" or wear slightly after the first few shaves and the edge gets better and better. One time I shaved without looking to see what blade was in my razor. I rotate DE's and had forgotten what was in it. The shave was so smooth and comfortable. I had never felt one that good. It was as though the razor was gliding on a sheet of ice with a layer of lubricant on top. Perfect BBS results. After the shave I looked inside the razor..........Derby Extra pre-2016. They're a better blade than most think they are. And I have over 1200 of the pre-2016 thicker versions so the "rigidity" zealots will be paying big dollars to acquire even the smallest quantities of this highly sought after, much revered vintage stock.
:yesnod:

Nice to see Derby getting the respect it deserves. Long before the pre/post 2016 theories and the introduction of the Premium line, Derbys were considered an excellent blade with positive reviews on various forums. Then a couple of guys posted about the poor shave they had and all of a sudden they were no good, rough, very poor and completely ineffective against very manly, extremely coarse stubble. Under magnification Derbys have one of the most well prepared edges available. The multiple coatings "break-in" or wear slightly after the first few shaves and the edge gets better and better. One time I shaved without looking to see what blade was in my razor. I rotate DE's and had forgotten what was in it. The shave was so smooth and comfortable. I had never felt one that good. It was as though the razor was gliding on a sheet of ice with a layer of lubricant on top. Perfect BBS results. After the shave I looked inside the razor..........Derby Extra pre-2016. They're a better blade than most think they are. And I have over 1200 of the pre-2016 thicker versions so the "rigidity" zealots will be paying big dollars to acquire even the smallest quantities of this highly sought after, much revered vintage stock.
:yesnod:
I have only been on the forums for a few years now but I agree with your observation that Derby blades were highly rated at one time and then seem to fall from favour. And I don't understand why. They are an excellent product and my first choice in the "one blade for life" category.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have about 900 PolSilver SI blades left, so I'm fairly certain that would be my choice. There are lots of good blades, but that one represents the best of comfort with sharpness for me.

Gillette 7 O'clock Sharpedge, of modern blades. But if I really had my druthers, it would be the late 60's era Personna Super Stainless.

If someone had asked me one week ago, I'd probably say Astra SP or Feather.
Now I've tried a Polsilver SI, one blade, and I'm so impressed already.
Now my vote for one blade is Polsilver.

Astra SP. Almost as good as Feathers for me and cheaper.

But thank goodness I don't have to make that choice.

I would go with Polsilver Super Iridium, but if these blades were easily obtainable it would be the vintage Wilkinson Sword light brigades, sharpest smoothest and one of the longest lasting blade I've used, second choice would be the vintage Schick Plus Platinums.

Any of the blades I use. I only use vintage blades and I'd be happy with any one of them, but I'd rather be able to keep using all of them.

Top Bottom