What's new

Only Feather blades for me now...

Having gone through a considerably-representative sampler pack, including Reds, 7 O'Clocks (green and yellow packs) Astra, Derby, Merkur, Shark, Bic, Lord and others, it seems that only Feathers shave me reliably close and irritation free.

I figure its time to put the remnants of the sampler pack on the for sale forum or just stockpile them in the event I run out of Feathers, and stock up on Feathers. I hate being painted into a corner where only one brand will do, but there it is.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Chris

While I only use feathers too. There is a couple other brands that everyone says that are comparable to feathers Super iridium's, blue bird, and kai's. Ive tried blue birds and kais they dont compare to feathers to me. Ive just received 5 supers so im gonna give them a shot this weekend.

After 1.5 years of shaving with Derby's, I got my first pack of Feathers and have had a great experience with them thus far. I'm also planning to try Irridium's and Astra's once I'm done with the Feathers. So far, having tried Derby, Wilkinson, Personna, Merkur, Crystal, and others, the Feathers are the clear winner.

The best of the Gillette Family seem to have less tendency to cut than the Feather, with about the same lack of irritation and hair removal ability....

I would try the Iridium and the NOS Bleue Extras from ebay. I just shaved with the current production Bleue Extras that I got in France (made in Russia) and prefer the NOS ones that a UK seller is selling. The only point of mention on the NOS ones is they give me 3-4 good shaves only. That is low for me.

I am of the theory that those Bleue Extras are carbon steel, not stainless which would account for the lower longevity. Still, the quality of those shaves is top notch for me......

My theory- remember the Bleue Extra was originally the name for the Super Blues in Europe (i.e.Carbon Steel). In Europe, the bluing process stopped earlier than the US (the process that made the blade black other than the edge). Indeed, when production was transferred to France for the Super Blues (for the American market), those blades were no longer "blued" either......The Thins are, I believe, another example of a non-blued, carbon-steel blade made by Gillette. Indeed, many of the US versions of these blades in the 70's and 80's have a patent that involved putting PTFE only on carbon steel blades......

There's nothing like finding the right blade for your shaving needs. Feathers can be polarizing but I consider them one of the best, if not the best, currently manufactured blade.

yeah, that happened to me.
But now I'm branching back out to other blades.

Still, if you pick up a pack of 100 feathers, you'll always be happy knowing they are there. :thumbup1:

I'm very objective when testing new blades, but the plain fact is that nothing works as well for me; low irritation, no redness or bumps, BBS or close to. I'm certain that if I tried a blind test, I'd still pick Feathers.

Chris

i recently tried feathers in a feather portable and it was just aweful, irritation and bumps, however i havent tried them in one of my better razors so i guess i need to give them another go before I give up on them

So they cost four times as much and by most reports dull fairly rapidly. Since I have not tried them yet, would I be wise not to do so?:001_smile

Feathers is the one for me also.I do not even consider other blades.And if I can continue to get 100 for $29 delivered,I am happy with that.

Paul

I blame the Feathers! I've been robbed of the joy of discovery, of experiencing those wow moments you (are supposed to) get when you find a new blade that gives you the best shave to date - all just because my first ever DE shave was with a Feather. :angry: :)biggrin1:)

I still have samples of Sharks, Israeli Personnas and Blue Birds to try but my expectations are not too high, to be honest.

I'm a feather addict as well, though am also hooked (less frequently) on Astras. HOWEVER, before you commit exclusively to feathers I urge you to try a Gillette Super Thin (w/ Thai language). In my experience, these are truly exceptional blades in every respect!

I am not sure why all the controversy on these things. They're excellent blades and reward care and practise with an excellent shave. I have shifted to straight razor shaving, but in a hurry do a quick two-three pass with my Parker butterfly or Merkur loaded with a Feather. Nothing else comes as close as the straight, in my experience. As for the tales of blood and gore -- well, after the "learning curve of the straight" the Feathers are pretty mild. The Feather "no sharpen" straight system is also worth a try.

Top Bottom