What's new

Online tax software comparisons

For the past several years I have used Tax Act Online to prepare my taxes. I'm wondering if anyone has compared the various services and found any to be better than the rest, as far as refunds are concerned. I'm used to owing money each year since I was a single guy that rented. Last year was my first full year in a house, and Tax Act shows me getting a $230 refund from the Feds, and owing $4 to the state revenuers.

Would it be worth my time to go through the motions on the different sites, try a pro (not one of the fly by night places, but a local preparer), or just stick w/ Tax Act?

I've used Turbo Tax for the last ten years, and wouldn't try anything else. I use the software version, rather than the web version, since I always want to be able to have the files stored locally and reload the software in case I ever get audited.

Last year I ran my taxes through both Tax Act Online and TurboTax (online version). The end result was about a five to ten dollar difference between the two if I recall. I didn't see it as being enough of a difference to worry about one way or the other.

I'd go with whichever one costs less at the moment.

I've used Turbo Tax for the last ten years, and wouldn't try anything else. I use the software version, rather than the web version, since I always want to be able to have the files stored locally and reload the software in case I ever get audited.

+1 on Turbo Tax. PLUS if there was ever a place for identity theft it would be in on-line tax prep software. WAY too much personal information is provided for me to be comfortable. So, I use turbo tax, put my files on a flash drive and disconnect my computer from the internet when I'm working on my taxes. Can't be too careful.

+1 on Turbo Tax. PLUS if there was ever a place for identity theft it would be in on-line tax prep software. WAY too much personal information is provided for me to be comfortable. So, I use turbo tax, put my files on a flash drive and disconnect my computer from the internet when I'm working on my taxes. Can't be too careful.

That must be a challenge, when TurboTax tries to download new files from the Internet every 15 minutes or so.

That must be a challenge, when TurboTax tries to download new files from the Internet every 15 minutes or so.

Hee hee! That is the biggest challenges with the program. Just when you think you're done, it downloads a whole bunch more updates that make you wonder whether you did it right the first time.

Which is why I never actually do my taxes until April 10th! :lol:

Jeff in Boston

Well, when you install the software you have the option to get updates either automatically or manually. I choose manually. Then when I'm ready to finish my tax return I choose to do the updates. The updates don't fundamentally change your return in the sense that your input information (wages, interest paid, dividends etc.) doesn't change so you really can wait until the last minute to do the updates.

Top Bottom