What's new

Online IQ Tests

Well Tim, my score was 115 %, Mensa is sending a recuitment team tomorrow.
Sue
...........Neener, Neener, LOL.:tongue:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have a friend that says, "I tried to look up an IQ test, but I couldn't spell it."

It is commonly accepted nowadays that IQ tests in no way measure how successful a person will be in life. They are, however, good determinants of how successful someone will be in school. So they are useful for young kids to predict school success and useless for adults.

That's part of what started the IQ debate. One of my Grandkids teachers said an IQ test would be a good idea as one of the kids boredom in grade school is drastically affecting his grade but he reads and spells four grade levels ahead.
Sue

That's part of what started the IQ debate. One of my Grandkids teachers said an IQ test would be a good idea as one of the kids boredom in grade school is drastically affecting his grade but he reads and spells four grade levels ahead.
Sue

As I said earlier, I was tested as a kid but my parents never shared my score and I'm glad of it now. However, I think this suggestion has merit. As a student, my grades rarely reflected my ability because I spent most of my school life being completely bored in class. It wasn't until I got to college that I started taking classes that were challenging, and by that time I had a lifetime of poor study habits and an over-inflated scholastic self-image to deal with. If an IQ test can bump your grandkid up to a class that is challenging for him in grade school, he might be able to avoid the pitfalls of too-easy scholastic success that plagued me and so many of the so-called "smart kids" that I knew growing up.

As I said earlier, I was tested as a kid but my parents never shared my score and I'm glad of it now. However, I think this suggestion has merit. As a student, my grades rarely reflected my ability because I spent most of my school life being completely bored in class. It wasn't until I got to college that I started taking classes that were challenging, and by that time I had a lifetime of poor study habits and an over-inflated scholastic self-image to deal with. If an IQ test can bump your grandkid up to a class that is challenging for him in grade school, he might be able to avoid the pitfalls of too-easy scholastic success that plagued me and so many of the so-called "smart kids" that I knew growing up.

School has been a similar experience to me. And I often wished they had bumped me up at an early stage. On the other hand perhaps because I have cruised through my education reasonably easily, I have thus also had a chance to spend time on other aspects of life. Being where I am now I am not sure bumping me would have been all that positive. I think there could have been a real risk of being too young and immature to handle it. Then again that could have prepared me for some of the things I have been forced to deal with in the later stages of my education. Oh well I guess it isn't an easy issue...

Of course if bumping a kid up a class isn't a possibility, it is still possible to stimulate him otherwise.

You scored 12 out of 12 - You are a genius!

Well... for once the internet is right about something. :cool:

Did I SAY I scored 12 out of 12? NO! Let it never be said of me that I am a genius. I worked for 12 years in elementary school to disprove that, and another 6 years in Jr. High before moving on to my post-graduated studies in 9-12 grade. This took me from my late 20's into my mid 30's. I matriculated in college, but after a simple operation, extensive counseling and carefully monitored medication, (coupled with liberal reciprocity laws between the states I was living in), I was able to put and end to this terrible habit.

At that point, I was hired by the Government, where I worked in a number of capacities until I was ready (now) to work in corporate America-- if I could only get a job. What else is a "recovering" public school music teacher to do in the career path? Sell insurance? I think not!

I resent your implication that I am a genius. BUT...I did know that there are 12 months of the year with 28 days in them.

As for the accusation that I am illiterate, this is not true either. Both my parents were married at the time of my untimely birth.

Thanks

Mr. Gillette

Did I SAY I scored 12 out of 12? NO!
I resent your implication that I am a genius. BUT...I did know that there are 12 months of the year with 28 days in them.

Umm... I posted that because that's what I scored on the test you posted.

Sorry for not being more clear. :confused:

In addition to being a web-certified genius, I'm also incredibly humble and express myself clearly. :tongue:

My daughter was also tested for a gifted and talented program. She got in the program. What I liked about it, was they did a lot of cool things that they wouldn't have normally.

The teacher liked her because she could actually communicate with people...unlike most of the kids in the program.

She is in Junior High now, in advanced math and english, but I like that she is well rounded. She is a blackbelt in Taekwondo, has good friends, is active in our church, and likes to ride with me on the scooter:)

She is already smarter then I am in math!! I still have her in reading comprehension...it is the only thing I excel at.

My 2 cents is on scores..it can also get teachers to expect a child will be a certain way. I scored very well on a reading test in 6th grade...and that thing haunted me for the rest of my schooling.

Marty

Sue

Maybe the teacher should have the IQ test! Has anyone ever been terribly bored sitting at the feet of a great teacher, no matter what the subject matter?

This sounds like one of those teachers who plants a "crop" (students) in little rows, alphabetizes them, assumes they'll all move at the same level, until June when they're all magically ready together for the next level, and crop is harvested and replanted the following Fall into other rows.

Why can't more teachers encourage kids to be "hunters" finding the love of learning around every corner, instead of the teachers, themselves, being the farmers of passive students sitting like lumps in a row waiting for one 40 minutes time period to pass into another until lunch or the bell rings to go home? (RANT!!!!)

Think of it...what could be more boring than being a stalk of corn, planted in May, waiting for someone to toss a little fertilizer or nitrogen our way occasionally, maybe cultivate a few weeds away from our feet so we can see better, and then just to wait until nature takes its course and we can get chopped up into the corn picker of life.

RANT RANT RANT...and then the farmer (teacher) points at the passive corn, that leans whichever way the wind pushes it or the sun pulls it and says "Hey, I think there's something wrong with that stalk over there, 3rd desk from the back in the 2nd row from the door."

THIS is why Mr. Gillette is a "recovering" educator. School Administrators plan all of this stuff, and our President, the "education President" makes it all possible. We graduate these kids, the test scores go up, and we've somehow done them a service???

Your grandchild is probably extremely bright, very inquisitive, and with the right teacher or set of circumstances would never experience boredom again. Your grandchild sounds like a gifted student...so what's the IQ test going to do? Only confirm what you already know-- (1) Kid Smart (2) Kid Bored (3) Teacher don't know what to do, already (4) Then what?

I HATE education!!!!!! (as it is currently done!)

Having said that, I feel better. Thank you. If your student is young, look into Montessori or something like that...at a more advanced age, hopefully you can get them involved in something like art or Music, sports...something that enriches the soul and presents a greater challenge.

RANT RANT RANT.

Anyone know of a good IQ test website? Are they all a joke?
Sue

For an IQ test to be of any worth whatsoever, it must be sufficiently valid and reliable. I know of no online IQ test that is either, much less both. Putting together a valid and reliable IQ test requires resources including expertise, research (running multiple subjects across a wide cross-section of the population) and money. Free IQ tests are usually worth what you pay for them.

Top Bottom