What's new

Online Email Clients

So, I'm looking for a new web based email client. I want something that I can set up to import from a few different email address. Any suggestions?

Out of curiosity, how would one switch from Windows Live Mail to Gmail? What are the ramifications? Loose/re-do the address book and all saved/filed emails? Get a new email address that I would need to tell everyone about? Thinking of switching to Google because of the problems I am having with Internet Explorer ("This page can't be displayed").

Out of curiosity, how would one switch from Windows Live Mail to Gmail? What are the ramifications? Loose/re-do the address book and all saved/filed emails? Get a new email address that I would need to tell everyone about? Thinking of switching to Google because of the problems I am having with Internet Explorer ("This page can't be displayed").

Ditch Internet Explorer. Chrome and Firefox are faster and safer. Just sign up for a Gmail account and start using it. Go to the websites that have your Windows Live Mail and change you email address. You could also have Windows Live Gmail forward all of your email to your new Gmail account so that you know where you need to update your email address.

I currently use Gmail, but they've implemented a system that puts your mail into category folders they've designed instead of letting me decided how I want it organized. I hate it and can't seem to find any way around it, thus it looks like I've gotta try to find a new one.

I currently use Gmail, but they've implemented a system that puts your mail into category folders they've designed instead of letting me decided how I want it organized. I hate it and can't seem to find any way around it, thus it looks like I've gotta try to find a new one.

Alex, I have never used nor seen gmail or its screen. Could you please describe these category folders in a bit more detail?

I have a few different online email addresses. I get far less spam on Outlook than I do with Gmail. On my phone, Gmail sorts some of my spam mail into a "Promotions" folder. I don't need trash mail being promoted to me. For me, Outlook's website and filtering are far cleaner than Gmail. Gmail has become such a cluster *** of stuff that I just don't want. I avoid going to the website unless I absolutely have to now just because of the mess it has become.

Alex, I was smart enough to go to the Gmail site, and now think I see what these folders are. But is there no way to simply view it by time of arrival? Which is what I am used to doing. What Corey just said about spam is a little scary; really don't want to invite any more adds than what I already get (which are largely self-inflicted).

John, I've found the best way to avoid a lot of the clutter and mess of gmail is to route it through a mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook/Outlook Express/Windows Mail to remove the Google touches. In that manner, it's a pretty solid performer where you have all the control. I have quite a number of filters set up on Thunderbird to route the mail in a manner that works for me. I despise the website interface, as it's changed numerous times, and each change seems to make it less and less functional, and have a passing tolerance for the phone app, but routed through Thunderbird, it's quite useful. Also, it's creepy as hell that google is skimming my mail and directing advertising towards me based on the content of my mail. I'm not very cool with that.

All of the online email services (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook-Hotmail) allow you to setup account forwarding from other mail services. All you usually need to know is incoming mail server (SMTP, IMAP) and outgoing (POP3). While I hate that Google/Gmail probably inspects every email that I send or receive, it works.

You mean the important (I forget the actual term) folder and the like? If so, take a look at this guide from Lifehacker.

Also, when you go to settings, inbox only check off Primary in categories. That should eliminate all of the other categories.

I've done all this and it worked for a while, but in the last week or so it sorts them into things like "Promotions", "Updates" and "Social". I really just want to import all my emails, and have them show up in the "mailbox X" or "mailbox Y" folder, which is how it used to work.

I've done all this and it worked for a while, but in the last week or so it sorts them into things like "Promotions", "Updates" and "Social". I really just want to import all my emails, and have them show up in the "mailbox X" or "mailbox Y" folder, which is how it used to work.

:001_smile

You mean the important (I forget the actual term) folder and the like? If so, take a look at this guide from Lifehacker.

Yep, I've done all that and it still seems to do it. After googling it seems I'm not the only one it's happened to, apparently they're forcing them to be used.

Top Bottom