What's new

OneBlade vs Gillette Guard

Some will think that these two razors don't even compare, but having tried both I can say that the shave experience is quite similar.

Being on vacation, I'm using the Guard lately. This cheap cart is very very very good. I've used it four times so far and it still going strong. No problem whatsoever.

They both have a pivoting head. About the OneBlade, in order to "enable" the pivot you have to ask pressure. This can lead to irritation. This is not the case with the Guard.

The price difference is huge. Let's put the razor price aside. The FHS blade costs about $0.65 each, while the Guard cart costs $0.25 and shipping is free. The latter lasts a lot more shaves. I could get only one excellent shave with the FHS. The second was good and that's it. I had to change it. This is one of the main reasons I sold the OneBlade. Blade cost and availability.

Material is different. SS vs Plastic. As a result, the weight of the razors differs as well.

I do two passes. One WTG and one XTG. I don't care about the ATG, my neck doesn't like it. The shave with both razors is quite similar. I get the same feeling. The first time I used the Guard I said to myself you remember that feeling...

Anyway. I really think that this cheap Gillette razor deserves a try. It will probably save you a ton of money.

If you have tried both, I'd like to read some thoughts.

Hey Nick thanks for setting us this interesting thread! A good friend swears by the guard and dropped DE altogether he liked it so much. Have not used the Oneblade and I cannot contribute there.

The price difference is huge. Let's put the razor price aside. The FHS blade costs about $0.65 each, while the Guard cart costs $0.25 and shipping is free. The latter lasts a lot more shaves. I could get only one excellent shave with the FHS. The second was good and that's it. I had to change it. This is one of the main reasons I sold the OneBlade. Blade cost and availability.

For me, the FHS blade is not efficient enough for my beard or head shave. My "Oneblade" razor is the ATT SE1 with a Schick Proline blade, the only AC blade I use. The SE1 definitely has more blade exposure than the V1 Oneblade I tried.

I do two passes. One WTG and one XTG. I don't care about the ATG, my neck doesn't like it. The shave with both razors is quite similar. I get the same feeling. The first time I used the Guard I said to myself you remember that feeling...

I only shave ATG(S-N) these days. On my neck, I also have to shave E-W and W-E. Takes many strokes to hit BBS.

Proline blades cost me about $.37 a blade, the razor cost $185.

Is my setup better than the Guard? I don't know, but I'm completely BBS to the strictest form every shave and only need to shave every other day due the efficiency. No blood loss or irritation. Takes a good 20 hours before I start to feel stubble break skin.

I was able to try a Oneblade in a passaround, but I would never buy one. I bought the Core before I tried the Oneblade Genesis, I sent it back for a refund.

Top Bottom