What's new

OneBlade V2 and Gem

Due to certain circumstances after owning two V1 of these razors that accepted the GEM blade I now own none. So since I had a V2 I decided to try a GEM blade in it since it was my go to in the V1. Seems the V2 shaved fine one shave, but the second shave I noticed the blade slipping in and out. I had read about having to cut notches in the blade and I’m curious what the easiest method is. I also read some just do what I did and don’t cut notices, but I’m curious if those people also experience the play in the blade backing out. I really wish OneBlade would just make a razor one day that took GEM blades without any modification. If not I might have to spring and try to find a V1 again.

You can use a metal nipper or a metal hole punch to make the holes in the GEM SE blades. I experimented with the nipper, but never seemed to quite get the notches in the exact correct location.

I have the Core, and really am enjoying it. Truly a "no thinking" shaver. Also a no weeper shaver. I get along really well with the Feather blades, but they only make it 3 shaves for me.

I have read that the metal punch can get the exact same sized hole as the Feather SE blades. The punch is 3-4x more expensive than the nipper though.

I personally found cutting the notches with perfect, repeatable accuracy quite difficult, even with the punch. I ended up just using the gems despined but un-notched in my Genesis.

I didn’t have any unexpected blade movement, but maybe the head of my genesis clamps the blade a little more firmly than yours.

Like you, I’d love to see a OneBlade designed specifically for the gem PTFE, as I find it far superior to the FHS-10.

Another thing I am interested in trying is putting an injector blade in the genesis. Because it’s so small, it would avoid all the fit issues at the back of the head. Whether it would stay in place is another matter. Right now I only have twins which don’t fit, so I haven’t tried it.

If anyone else has tried it, I’d love to hear how you went!

Theodore, I tried a de-spined GEM PTFE blade in my OneBlade Core, and it worked fine. It does not latch like the FHS-10 blade does, but the blade did not slide out or anything else during my shave.

I actually got some irritation from the GEM blade, that I have yet to get from the FHS-10 blades. The GEM blade felt as nice as the FHS-10 during the shave, but the sides of my neck were not happy.

I'll give the GEM blade another try or two, but so far the FHS-10 blades are friendlier to my face.

Glad that it worked for you - mechanically at least!

I’d be interested to see if you keep getting irritation with the same blade after that first shave. Good luck!

Top Bottom