What's new

OneBlade Razor

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Is there any dicernable difference in the shave quality of the Hybrid vs Genesis in their most recent iterations? Really tempted to try this razor but I'm not willing to spend $300+ and I really don't like the idea of the propitiatory blades. Who's to say this comany even lasts that long and pretty soon blades will be really hard to come by.
I have had all three and currently have the Genesis. The Core is simply too mild for me. The Hybrid is up a notch from that and the Genesis a bit more. The core I needed to push hard enough to activate the pivot at times, the Hybrid I did that with sometimes, the Genesis I don't need to do that at all.

I like the Genesis the best, looks, build, feel and performance. I could live with the Hybrid. I could not live with the Core.

I have had all three and currently have the Genesis. The Core is simply too mild for me. The Hybrid is up a notch from that and the Genesis a bit more. The core I needed to push hard enough to activate the pivot at times, the Hybrid I did that with sometimes, the Genesis I don't need to do that at all.

I like the Genesis the best, looks, build, feel and performance. I could live with the Hybrid. I could not live with the Core.
Thanks. And how does the blade refill plan work? They offer a decent discount on the razor if you include the refill plan but does that mean you have to commit to a refill plan for a year or something like that?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Thanks. And how does the blade refill plan work? They offer a decent discount on the razor if you include the refill plan but does that mean you have to commit to a refill plan for a year or something like that?
The blades are cheaper if you do a refill program. I think the plan is the cheapest you can get them for in the US. $21 per 30 blades. You can choose the refill rate 2/3/6 months depending on how frequently you go through them.

Functionally, pretty good. Good slickness, lathers easily.
Scents are subjective, a matter of personal taste, but it doesn't smell very much like lavender to me.
At $25/100ml., I think there are better values out there.

It has been a long time since it came out, but I tried it a couple years back and was highly disappointed. I remember feeling so strongly about it I ended up talking to their President and giving him all the details. They said they would take my feedback into account, but never changed anything to the best of my knowledge.

I have moved away from Oneblade so don’t know if anything has changed, but definitely felt their hardware was far better than their software.

I had and returned a Genesis. I wanted to like it, but the blades are so bad, inconsistent, and expensive. At $1/blade which gives you two shaves, it is significantly more expensive than the dorco pace3 I had been using prior to DE/SE shaving! Plus the blades are inconsistent - the first shave is sharp, the second is radically different, and I couldn't do a third without irritation.

As easy a shave as one can get. Trust me, I’m not going to tell anyone that they need to get on the OneBlade website right now and get themselves a Genesis asap. I’ve had this thing for a few years and I still like the shaves it gives especially when I need a good but, quick shave for whatever occasion may arise. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea and most traditionalist wet shavers look at it as my parents looked at me when I blasted Zeppelin, Jimi or AC-DC out of my boom box as they quietly listened to Perry Cuomo, Neal Sedaka & Pat Boone. You know, the “Are you out of your mind listening to that devil music stare”. Aaaahh, the good ol’ days. Anywho, personally I’ve had real good shaves with the OnaBlade V1 with quite a few matching some of my best DE & SE alternatives in my shave den. Yeah, the blades are its achilles heel in both price and duration, but I purchased about 200 of the FHS-5 blades a couple years ago from a South Korean exporter for dirt cheap around $40 at the time right before the Pandemic hit. That’s plenty to hold me over for quite some time as I don’t shave daily with it.

It’s a quality made shaver that’s smooth, easy and comfortable to use. As near to autopilot as one can get in shaveland. Wait a minute, just looked out my window and have to yell at some kids to get off of my lawn. No hacky-sack here, Dang Nabbit!!!!

Great shaves to all…

1FB58239-D1AE-4F1A-A652-DAB699F754E8.jpeg

A quick yet thorough and very comfortable shave. I know, nonbelievers call this razor pathetic, a hack of wet shave disgrace and an embarrassment to the hierarchy of the traditional shaving establishment. And you know what, to a certain extent I agree. But, I’ll be honest and be fully transparent here. I really don’t care and to those that use and enjoy their OneBlade, they shouldn’t care either. The damn thing just simply works. Expensive & proprietary blade, can only get 2 shaves, it has a pivoting head and it’s geared towards the newer generation of clueless shavers. The Earth is round. Space is a vacuum. And the Big Bang took place 13.8 billion years ago. Yeah, the James Webb Telescope is bringing us evidence of that specific moment of the greatest singularity and yaddy, yaddy, yaddy and blah, blah, blah. What am I getting at here?

It was a heck of a nice shave….

42AE7F2C-D1C5-463D-B3C7-BC06EB804FDC.jpeg

A quick yet thorough and very comfortable shave. I know, nonbelievers call this razor pathetic, a hack of wet shave disgrace and an embarrassment to the hierarchy of the traditional shaving establishment. And you know what, to a certain extent I agree. But, I’ll be honest and be fully transparent here. I really don’t care and to those that use and enjoy their OneBlade, they shouldn’t care either. The damn thing just simply works. Expensive & proprietary blade, can only get 2 shaves, it has a pivoting head and it’s geared towards the newer generation of clueless shavers. The Earth is round. Space is a vacuum. And the Big Bang took place 13.8 billion years ago. Yeah, the James Webb Telescope is bringing us evidence of that specific moment of the greatest singularity and yaddy, yaddy, yaddy and blah, blah, blah. What am I getting at here?

It was a heck of a nice shave….

View attachment 1692486
I hate to admit it but my oneblade genesis paired with a fresh feather fhs beats anything I ever tried.
I still got about 60 feather blades left. I got a 100 for cheap many years ago, and should have gotten a 1000 of those damn suckers.
It really bugs me the short life of each blade.
I’m about to chase a similar shave from another SE. could the vector titanium might be the answer to that riddle?

I hate to admit it but my oneblade genesis paired with a fresh feather fhs beats anything I ever tried.
I still got about 60 feather blades left. I got a 100 for cheap many years ago, and should have gotten a 1000 of those damn suckers.
It really bugs me the short life of each blade.
I’m about to chase a similar shave from another SE. could the vector titanium might be the answer to that riddle?

I will say this. The Vector is everything you hear it to be. I can’t speak for the Vector Ti version but, I have had and used both a matte & polished Vector in SS and that razor for me, is the real deal. It can be the one and only forever razor. Not as mindless and carefree as a OneBlade but, quite close actually and it brings efficiency to a whole other level. Something that no matter how good the OneBlade is, it can’t match the Vector especially with the variety of blades in the Artist Club sphere that the Vector can employ. And the Vector with a Feather Pro Super is something that must be experienced. Not for everyone no doubt but, for the few that do go that route, it’s an eye opener. Good luck and congrats….

I like mine. A lot. As easy a shave as with any cartridge, just as quick, a lot smoother, and a lot closer. Great travel razor. As long as you are not flying with a carry-on. I know the bit about the blades, but it has a place in my gear. Especially nice when visiting friends and family and you want a good shave but are feeling guilty about tying up a bathroom for too long. And, I have never nicked myself with it.

It is a good razor if you do a three pass shave, some fellows have different shaving techniques and they will not like this razor IMO because they will not change their shaving methods to make the razor work better. I find that using this razor that I get a great shave with no irritation and no weepers 96% of the time after 20 shaves with it already has to be excellent mild razor on my skin. To make the razor work with the pivot head you have to apply some pressure and at first I was hesitant because that is a bad habit with most DE or SE razors, this OB core seems to work better with a little pressure for what ever reason on my skin & beard stubble.
One thing to mention is the FHS-10 blade does not have longevity in its design IMO.
If you have blemishes or irritation this might be a razor for that individual IMO.
View attachment 1052693
All this for $19.95 it was worth my time and money I figured. You can use a modified Gem blade also if longevity is a issue, but not sure it is a good idea for some to mess around with sharp blades and possibly get cut.
Have some great shaves!
I also have a one blade. Have you found a good source for those Japanese proprietary SE blades? I know they’re good blades but they’re a little bit pricey

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I also have a one blade. Have you found a good source for those Japanese proprietary SE blades? I know they’re good blades but they’re a little bit pricey
Lately all I do is despline a Gem blade(5 second task with a pair of needle nose pliers) that are superior for sharpness and longevity compared to the Feather FHS10 blades. I get 8-10 shaves with a Gem blade were the FHS 1-3 shaves.
When desplined all you have to do is slip it in with out any cutting the corners off, there is enought resistance to hold the blade in place, I do use a shim also, not sure if the shim is nesacary but it gives the person a choice to go tame or aggressive.
I buy my blades from Connaught shaving UK at a desent price for 10 - 100 pcs. Takes 2-3 weeks to arrive, you can also use them in your Gem razrs also. GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades - https://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html
Go to post #58 on this thread and watch Subie shaves and he has a excellent hack that I use, he has 2 oneblade Genesis razors and it works in the Core also.

The Genesis is the one razor I would take with me if I was forced to a desert island with only one razor.

I recommend trying it at least few times without activating the pivot, in a similar way you would use a regular DE razor. Let the pivot work only when needed and not by intentionally pressing the head against the skin. That is how I have been using it for years and the way I get the deepest shave.

Lately all I do is despline a Gem blade(5 second task with a pair of needle nose pliers) that are superior for sharpness and longevity compared to the Feather FHS10 blades. I get 8-10 shaves with a Gem blade were the FHS 1-3 shaves.
When desplined all you have to do is slip it in with out any cutting the corners off, there is enought resistance to hold the blade in place, I do use a shim also, not sure if the shim is nesacary but it gives the person a choice to go tame or aggressive.
I buy my blades from Connaught shaving UK at a desent price for 10 - 100 pcs. Takes 2-3 weeks to arrive, you can also use them in your Gem razrs also. GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades - https://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html
Go to post #58 on this thread and watch Subie shaves and he has a excellent hack that I use, he has 2 oneblade Genesis razors and it works in the Core also.

Thank you for drawing attention to post number 58. That is a fantastic idea. I have been nipping the back of the Gem blades in order to get them to lock in. That is a real pain.

Top Bottom