What's new

Oneblade Razor

I would be interested to know how many Oneblade razors have been sold. We have had reports of razor numbers in the 9900s but that would seem to be rather high for the length of time that they have been available. Can anyone who purchased one early on report their razor numbers?

I don't know what the answer is to this but they (OneBlade) did send me an e-mail sometime last summer saying they sold their 4,000th razor. They may not be selling them at the same rate now. We don't know.

I love being patronized. I think everyone does.

You make comments about the quality of a razor you never tried, and then seem to think the people that buy them are either being swindled, or buy them for the prestige of it being expensive. So who's being patronizing?

Also, I don't waste my time with commenting and speculating on products I've never tried, or am not interested in. Who does that?

You make comments about the quality of a razor you never tried, and then seem to think the people that buy them are either being swindled, or buy them for the prestige of it being expensive. So who's being patronizing?

Also, I don't waste my time with commenting and speculating on products I've never tried, or am not interested in. Who does that?

Most of the negative comments are inspired by OB's tying up exclusive NA rights to the Feather FHS-10 blade, which is a product that we've tried and are interested in. As for "multi-millionaire types", I know a few people in that bracket and I doubt if any one of them are plunking down 400 bucks and signing up for a blade-a-day plan when a Mach 3 will do the job quickly and easily. Few multi-millionaires get to be multi-millionaires by lavishly spending hundreds on stuff you use in the bathroom.

I think this thread is loosing sight of the real topic. The OneBlade is without a doubt a very fine razor that most guys that have tried it say it will give you one of the best shaves of your life. But it's not for everyone. I felt it kind of took the fun out of shaving because it takes away any need for skill. No one can deny it gives a really great shave.
As far as the thing with the blades going on, that is up to each person to decide if they still want to be involved with the razor.

I think this thread is loosing sight of the real topic. The OneBlade is without a doubt a very fine razor that most guys that have tried it say it will give you one of the best shaves of your life. But it's not for everyone. I felt it kind of took the fun out of shaving because it takes away any need for skill. No one can deny it gives a really great shave.
As far as the thing with the blades going on, that is up to each person to decide if they still want to be involved with the razor.

Thank you Ron, for bringing everyone back to what this thread is all about (and every other thread that goes on for too long). Folks will have differing opinions and it is just as worthwhile to hear from folks that don't have a particular razor to express why they don't. When we go down the path of nitpicking or getting too far along in the details or even calling out folks for saying something they disagree with, maybe we all need to have someone put things back into perspective.

I like the comments about the OB razor itself. Many people have categorized the OB as giving the best shave and needing zero technique. I don't necessarily agree with this conclusion (my mileage varies). I did get some bleeders and I did get some razor burn with it when I first got the razor. Which is why it is in my rotation of other new stainless steel razors. But the more I have shaved with the ATT Slant, and Rockwell the more my technique has improved. I have also learned more about soaps and creams. When I came back to the OB my results were far better the second time. So I reject the assumption that no skill is required. My guess is that experienced DE and SE shavers feel like the OB needs no skill because they already have such ingrained shaving techique already.

While I agree I have had some of my best shaves with OB, too much pressure especially around the chin can result in uncomfortable razor burn. So I do think that OB needs more skill than a Gillette fusion,

I also believe that the buyers of OB hare focused on the fit and finish of the product in their hand and the finished product on their face.

A beautiful razor, that seems effortless to use, and produces consistently good results. And you don't have to keep track of whether this is shave number 3, 6, or 8 because you put a fresh blade in almost everytime. Now that's a good purchase.

I was always on the fence about about buying the OB as for me to have acquired DE and SE shaving skills after a lifelong relation with the cart, meant getting my fair share of nicks and cuts and bother. It's good news to know that it will need some skill to achieve a BBs, otherwise, I'd rather keep on shaving with my DE's instead of forgetting the skill. I do have the notion however (and I stand corrected on this) that DE&SE wet shaving skills once learned are like riding a bicycle, they will not be forgotten but only become a little rusty.
I have bought last week a used Vs1 of the OB and I'm glad it's the version that will take the de-spined gem along with the feathers as I like having a little variety in blade choice, even as little as just two different brands.

Last edited:
I was always on the fence about about buying the OB as for me to have acquired DE and SE shaving skills after a lifelong relation with the cart, meant getting my fair share of nicks and cuts and bother. It's good news to know that it will need some skill to achieve a BBs, otherwise, I'd rather keep on shaving with my DE's instead of forgetting the skill. I do have the notion however (and I stand corrected on this) that DE&SE wet shaving skills once learned are like riding a bicycle, they will not be forgotten but only become a little rusty.
I have bought last week a used Vs1 of the OB and I'm glad it's the version that will take the de-spined gem along with the feathers as I like having a little variety in blade choice, even as little as just two different brands.
How has your experience been with it so far? Have you tried it with both the Feather and Gem blades? I just purchased one recently, the V1 and just waiting for it to be delivered. Unused, still in it's original package with blades and I think pre shave oil and balm. Eager to try this razor...

How has your experience been with it so far? Have you tried it with both the Feather and Gem blades? I just purchased one recently, the V1 and just waiting for it to be delivered. Unused, still in it's original package with blades and I think pre shave oil and balm. Eager to try this razor...
This is an excellent razor. It is not nickless and burnless unless you do your part with proper technique. it just doesn't require as much skill.
I have a V-2 and have not bought the tools to make the GEM blade work properly with it. I bought 100 of the Feathers. They are great blades, but not long lasting. 3 shaves is a real push for me. If I had a V-1 I would have already tried a
de-spined, GEM.
Ron I

This is an excellent razor. It is not nickless and burnless unless you do your part with proper technique. it just doesn't require as much skill.
I have a V-2 and have not bought the tools to make the GEM blade work properly with it. I bought 100 of the Feathers. They are great blades, but not long lasting. 3 shaves is a real push for me. If I had a V-1 I would have already tried a
de-spined, GEM.
Ron I
I'm assuming that the V2 OB requires a little more blade customization of the Gem blade to make it work? And I agree that Feather blades are just an awesome shaving blade, but longevity of the blade leaves it severely lacking. I think for Feather blades across the board, whether for DE or SE, longevity and durability has always been an issue. 2 excellent shaves with a Hi-Stainless in my DE razors and it's toss time. Others get more, and I don't know how, Lord knows I've tried to get more, but no dice. Still, I'm getting 60 of the FHS-10 blades with the razor, so I should be set for at least a couple of months. But looking forward to shaving with it and potentially using a modified Gem blade in the near future. Thanks for the reply....

I'm assuming that the V2 OB requires a little more blade customization of the Gem blade to make it work? And I agree that Feather blades are just an awesome shaving blade, but longevity of the blade leaves it severely lacking. I think for Feather blades across the board, whether for DE or SE, longevity and durability has always been an issue. 2 excellent shaves with a Hi-Stainless in my DE razors and it's toss time. Others get more, and I don't know how, Lord knows I've tried to get more, but no dice. Still, I'm getting 60 of the FHS-10 blades with the razor, so I should be set for at least a couple of months. But looking forward to shaving with it and potentially using a modified Gem blade in the near future. Thanks for the reply....
From my research, I saw (and I stand corrected) that the V2 will take the de-spined Gem but with some modification which requires tools. The V1 will take the Gem but will not lock into place correctly as intended and will sometimes move. Please correct me if I'm wrong

I notice on my used OB after taking the head apart, that there is some ware on the rails that guide the blade into locking position. The razor is made of SS and so is the blade, but considering that the blade will be replaced after a few shaves while the rails remain the same permanently, they do get worn out a bit, which will eventually lead to loading failure or the blade rattling in between the guiding posts, while the rail space becomes larger and larger.
What I do to prevent this possible eventual brake down, is to load some waterproof grease on to the sides of a worn blade, lock it in and this operation I believe lubricates the rails along the way.
I assume, not many people have taken the head apart to see, but it's there.
I don't know how this will develop in the next few years, but the OB comes with a few lifetimes guarantee.
Now the V2 is advertised as being made using a superior recently developed SS. This might do away with the problem altogether,if this new SS is tougher than the blade.

Last edited:
From my research, I saw (and I stand corrected) that the V2 will take the de-spined Gem but with some modification which requires tools. The V1 will take the Gem but will not lock into place correctly as intended and will sometimes move. Please correct me if I'm wrong
I honestly can't answer your statement pro or con. I haven't even received the razor yet. But I will be experimenting with the GEM blade once the V1 OB is in my possession. Just to have a viable option if the Feather blade can only be exclusively obtained via OneBlade themselves. Which is by the way, cornering the market, or "bulldogging" it when it comes to providing the Feather fhs-10 blade to OneBlade owners. Kind of sucks. They can control supply and demand......:001_07:

I notice on my used OB after taking the head apart, that there is some ware on the rails that guide the blade into locking position. The razor is made of SS and so is the blade, but considering that the blade will be replaced after a few shaves while the rails remain the same permanently, they do get worn out a bit, which will eventually lead to loading failure or the blade rattling in between the guiding posts, while the rail space becomes larger and larger.
What I do to prevent this possible eventual brake down, is to load some waterproof grease on to the sides of a worn blade, lock it in and this operation I believe lubricates the rails along the way.
I don't know how this will develop in the next few years, but the OB comes with a few lifetimes guarantee.
Now the V2 is advertised as being made using a superior recently developed SS. This might do away with the problem altogether,if this new SS is tougher than the blade.
Million dollar design flaw? Hopefully corrected in V2.

Interesting that bit of info. Something to watch out for. Oh boy, now I'm wondering if I should have or shouldn't have purchased V1 OB.... a little disconcerting.

The rails don't hold the blade at all, the locking nubs do. So any wearing of the rails will not affect how the razor holds the blade.

I have an early V1, and when I first bought it, the rails were rather tight on blade insertion/extraction. After some use, these rails "broke in", and changing the blade was easier, but still locked in the blade just as securely as it always has. The danger with using a GEM in V1 that is not clipped at it's sides is that it does not lock in, pushes against, and can possibly wear away the locking nubs. To prevent against that possibility, clip your GEM's. If you don't clip the GEM's in V1, you take that risk upon yourself in not using the razor as it was designed.

With V2, the blade doesn't slide against the rails at all. The locks hold the blade more loosely, yet still securely. There shouldn't be any wear from friction here, because there really isn't any, and even if there were, the V2 OneBlade head is made from PANACEA stainless steel, more than twice as hard and durable than any other stainless steel, including the steel used in blades.

In any case, OneBlade's "forever" warranty will cover any manufacturing defect, or natural wear and tear issues. I don't think you'd need this warranty anyway, but I'm not sure they'd cover damaged locking nubs from using an un-clipped GEM in V1.

Top Bottom