What's new

OneBlade Genesis

Just got my Genesis today. I’ve got to say, it’s a beautiful piece. Fit and finish is beyond anything.

Blade installation. Surprisingly simple. However, this 3D blade action has me wondering. The blade gap can be anything from normal to Grand Canyon. We’ll see…

First shave. Did it happen? I couldn’t really feel much of anything even with 3 days growth. It cut though. Still a fight on my neck though. We’ll see what happens. Based on the feeling, maybe they should rename this The Mirage.

Somethjng strange. I can get this kind of hopping sensation. Like the head is sticking and slipping against my skin. This seems to happen as the soap gets thinner. I’m going to try some things and different soaps to see what happens. I have an idea to mod it, but that’ll be a last resort.

All in all, happy with it; we’re still in the honeymoon period though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh!!!!

Forgot to mention…

I have a box of KAI best carbons. They fit PERFECTLY. The extra thickness take up a lot of the 3D blade action. We’ll see if that’s good or bad…

You might need thinner slicker lather.

Thanks. I’m using Long Rifle black label. I’ll try some captains choice, something else I have, plus a local powdered soap from the pharmacy.

My genesis and core were never clingy but which soap and how thick did matter. But both never had the suction cup effect of a paa slant

My old AutoStrop B2 with a carbon feather blade is soooo sticky. I tried with a feather stainless with ptfe coating, different razor. Still not sold on that one though. Think it had a rough life and needs the comb tuned and everything.

This whole one blade one shave thing….what’s everyone’s call on that? I’m in Japan so blades are cheap, but just seems terribly wasteful. I’m going to try my hone on these and see how it feels.

proxy.php

Some people modify Gem blades which last a lot longer.
I have more se razors and I sold the genesis when I noticed using a broman a lot more and the genesis turned into pretty wallhanger.
The blade price is pretty high on a genesis. The shave is allmost I idiot as is the blade loading and the fit and finish is stunning.
But in the long run I wish oneblade made an injector pivot head. More blade choices and even better blade handling. And of course cheaper to run as a feather fhs. Preferably with a steel head and Alluminium handle.

There is a rumor going that leaf will build a single or double bladed se pivot which might get interesting.

many people have tried sharpening fhs blades afaik no one really succeeded. And they tried stropping by leather, palm, machine etc.

modifying gem blades is time consuming you have to despine the blade and make new notches. the shave is different. First one rough the follow up smooth. But they last a lot longer.

there are a lot of posts by Ron r on the subject.

10pc FHS-10 are $4.00 here in Japan
10pc FAS-10 Carbon are $2.37
1pc KAI Best Carbon is $.19 each

We’ll see what happens with the Kai tomorrow, FAS day after, recycled FHS next, resharpened recycled FHS, then honed new vs pack new. Gonna be a busy week.

I've said it before bit I get a good 5 to 6 haves out of the feather blade. I do turn it over though and also. Change between my hybrid and core razors.

Blade life with the fhs also depends on the beard and prep.
Some wipe the blade clean and dry afterwards which helps.
Flipping helps
But so far I never got beyond two good and 1 mediocre shave with the fhs and 1 mediocre and 5-7 good shaves with a modified gem.
never had An opportunity to try the Kai blades.
Sharpening will be interesting.

Kai blades I’m thinking might be a nono. First…they rust in an hour. Never seen a blade rust that fast. Second…seemed rough and noisy.

I cleaned up with a feather carbon. This was actually pretty nice. Think these might be my go to….20 cents each. I think they can sharpen too being softer….maybe.

I figured out the cosmic joke by the way….

How can we screw with mankind….

I know, let’s put this bony lump in the males neck.

Yeah.

Then let make him grow hair all around it!

Heck yeah!

Then the kicker….let’s go ahead and swirl the whole thing around so there’s no rhyme or reason to it.

Sold!

Well!

That was surprising.

During the KAI debacle, I swapped in a Feather FAS, the blue carbon ones. It went well.

Today was round two for the carbon blade. It started getting a little bitchy at the end….around the neck and that cursed apple. I said, “what the heck, let’s try the hone”.

Ever see that movie, Avatar? When the lead character is riding the flying creature for the first time, and it’s going crazy until he yells shut up and fly straight….and it smoothed out. Same.

Like a light switch.

I did about 20 strokes per side on the Emrick Metal Hone. It’s tough to count strokes when your mid shave, very distracted. It was about the same amount of time per side.

It makes some sense the hone may work, it’s pre stainless blades so it’s made for this kind of thing. Difference would in tempering control and grinding angles.

Well…we’ll go another couple strokes before the next shave and see what happens.

Placebo? We shall see….

Side note: Anyone think they’re sensitive enough to do a blind test between new, used, honed, and new honed? I’ll provide the carbon blades. Whatcha think?

After thought: I wonder what the hone would do to a KAI blade? Dare I?

Last edited:
The verdict so far…

The test platform:
White guys face with med-high density beard. 24h growth.
Long Rifle soap
One strip shave was done for each blade. Combination straight pull and med strokes. Each blade got 2 attempts, 1 strip per side. Carbons started at the ear on one side and stainless finished toward mouth and repeated for the other side. Stainless finished the run as discussed below.

FAS-10 Carbon 1x shave plus 20 strokes hone:
Nice shave. Not grabby or anything special. You can feel the blades friction change as you hone. It goes from scratchy and poppy to smooth. About the same feeling as a new carbon. Appreciably the same as new. Only one shave old though.

FAS-10 Carbon Straight outta tha box:
Smooth and easy going. Face seemed more “textured” afterward compared to stainless.

FHS-10 High Stainless GOLD STANDARD (by some):
There IS a difference here. Is it .67/per shave difference, I’m not sure. For me it’s a third cheaper than across the water, but that’s cheating. It was smooth and easy, cleaned up the “texture” left by the carbon blade. Face is flawless except one neck area I’m healing still. I shaved the sh-I-t outta my neck. Damn jokers in heaven made this blade width strip that runs from corner of jaw to corner of jaw right over the Adam’s apple. It’s like someone painted a smile there with a single stroke. The shave ONLY works if I go right to tracing the “smile”. I promised I wouldn’t go nuts since I have no classes today, but I got caught in the moment and went to town. Even on previous hamburger jobs. The result? Shaved. Smooth. Almost no sting from my homemade 96% alcohol/alum aftershave. Even on hamburger hill.

I’m still not giving up on honing though. I’d like to try honing a new carbon and see how it goes as well as hone a stainless when it gets bitchy and also after ever shave, Autostrop style.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
This whole one blade one shave thing….what’s everyone’s call on that? I’m in Japan so blades are cheap, but just seems terribly wasteful.
If you are trying to shave on a tight budget they seem expensive, but realistically if you look at what some spend on soaps or brushes, higher priced blades come out in the wash.

Personally, if I like the shave I get, I will pay for it, even at $21/30 blades as it is in the U.S. My main goal in this hobby is not to shave for a decade on $10. If some do, that's fine. My goal is shaves that I enjoy, regardless of cost or equipment. That doesn't mean a good shave needs to be an expensive shave, just that I don't care if it is.

Well, this razor and I are getting to know each other.

I’ve found for more stubborn areas more angle helps, despite what the maker recommends.

They’re two pass plan of one swipe and one scrubbing action works, but only for one direction. XTG and ATT are still needed for that perfect finish.

Here in Japan, quality barbers include a full shave using a shavette. I compared and my wife compared to the job I do in the morning…I won. Frankly, I was a little disappointed…between the pressure and the scraping….I expected BBS. Quite a few patches were left and the closeness just wasn’t there. Maybe it was an off day.

Honing. It works. A new blade and a 2 shave blade feel very different against the hone. I brought back a two shave carbon this morning. Pretty much as good as new. Maybe I’ll torture myself with the blade a few times and see if it’s a relief slipping in a new blade….

Up to 3 shaves on a honed carbon, same as day 1…I think so….maybe….we’ll see.

How far should I push it?

4 shaves on a honed carbon is the limit I think. I’m starting to have to work at getting the finish I want. Did a little damage on my neck. Think I’ll give that area a rest for now.

New stainless just came in. Going to see how far I can push stainless un-honed next.

I dunno how the old guys did it back in the day. Either blades were softer (probably), factory sharp was different (probably), they were tougher (probably), they were going for a social shave instead of flawless victory (most likely), or they were desperate and anything was better than buying new all the time.

If you are trying to shave on a tight budget they seem expensive, but realistically if you look at what some spend on soaps or brushes, higher priced blades come out in the wash.

Personally, if I like the shave I get, I will pay for it, even at $21/30 blades as it is in the U.S. My main goal in this hobby is not to shave for a decade on $10. If some do, that's fine. My goal is shaves that I enjoy, regardless of cost or equipment. That doesn't mean a good shave needs to be an expensive shave, just that I don't care if it is.

I’m right there with you. Getting a close, comfortable, irritation free shave is far more important to me than the cost.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
4 shaves on a honed carbon is the limit I think. I’m starting to have to work at getting the finish I want. Did a little damage on my neck. Think I’ll give that area a rest for now.

New stainless just came in. Going to see how far I can push stainless un-honed next.

I dunno how the old guys did it back in the day. Either blades were softer (probably), factory sharp was different (probably), they were tougher (probably), they were going for a social shave instead of flawless victory (most likely), or they were desperate and anything was better than buying new all the time.

I think from some of the ads on youtube for shaving cream/foam/soaps we can conclude that single pass was the order of the day and they didn't get what we get today. Many products showed the wife upset with the feel of the mans face. How many today have their wife complaining about their shave come afternoon. I realize this was advertising, but there is a basis or there would be nothing for an improvement to capitalize on. (you need a malady before you cure for said malady is worth paying for).

Initially I complained about the short lives of FHS-10 blades. As Phil Collins sang... I don't care anymore. You hear... I don't care. LOL

Whatever works for you, works for you

Top Bottom