What's new

Oneblade Genesis Review

Gentlemen,

Almost every Oneblade thread I’ve read has turned into a “how to modify blades to fit the Oneblade.”

I wanted to give my opinion FWIW. I’ve been DE shaving for about 10 years and have used many new and vintage razors. However, this razor grabbed my attention for some reason.

FYI I paid about $170 for the Genesis with discounts.

First, the website is very user friendly and well put together. That probably doesn’t matter to some obviously. The company also offers discounts and a point system for money spent, reviews, etc.

The razor arrives in a beautifully packed box and leather case. The razor is flawless and extremely sturdy.

The blades are twice as thick and the first few days I could feel the difference. However, I was using no pressure and trying to use the Genesis like a DE razor.
The Genesis requires its own technique not like a DE or cartridge IMO. There are many YouTube videos that are helpful.

IMO the Genesis still requires a good prep and multi pass shave.

I can only get one use out of each blade so far. However, I think once my technique improves I’ll try for two. I’m only about 8 shaves in and the process is getting easier and more enjoyable.

I‘ll update this post once I have another 10 shaves under my belt.

Thanks for this review. I suspect its just a matter of time before this thread devolves into a discussion about how to modify Gem blades because after all there‘s a faction out there that just can‘t stand the idea of a “proprietary blade” even if it is one of the most superior blades on the market, a Feather. In the meantime I will add to your review. I also recently acquired a Genesis razor. What a fine piece of equipment. Unfortunately Ive been having dry skin issues lately that have prevented me from doing much shaving with this razor. My first two shaves were brutal so suffice to say this is neither a DE nor a cartridge but something uniquely in between. Oneblade asks you to commit to 21 days with this razor and I think that is sound advice. There definitely is a learning curve. Blade costs are perceived as high by some but if you do the math its still cheaper than a Fusion or similar cartridge and at least you eliminated the plastic associated with those.

Agreed, you need at least 21 shaves to figure out the Genesis (or any razor for that matter).The blades can be found on eBay, Maggards and a few other places. I believe they are the cheapest from Oneblade when you subscribe though.

Straight to the point review. I have the hybrid and the core. Both are......well simply great. Like many I grew up with "proper" shaving like dad showed me. At the sink, brush, soap (stick) and a decent Gillette razor and blade. Then cold water splash and may be some smelly afterwards if you weren't a real man or at least that's what my dad would say. For me though the cartridge razor was the thing of the times and looked like a sexy sports coupe. Down side was I just got so many ingrowns that I would spend hours picking them out. I always went back to the DE way and for the most had decent shaves and less ingrowns. I've tried the injector route but never really got on with it, but SE kinda gelled with me and my skin. Shaving became more pleasurable and ingrowns faded away.

Fate though has a way of stuffing you over now and again. Safe to say in the past years because of chronic infections I have to take alot of anti biotics. These make my skin sensitive and greasey. Again I flit between carts and SE. This is where the one blade comes in. To me it shaves like a cart but has all the experience of an Eveready, Gem or the down right sublime Valet SE razors. It suits my skin to a tee. No irritation, redness, nicks or weepers. Skin so soft afterwards even SWMBO has noticed the difference. A consequence of this is my AS, and den purchases have started agin.

The oneblade may be a proprietary blade but they are easy enough to get hold of and while not the cheapest blade are still in the releme of pocket cash. I've tried the Gem blade, and do get great shaves from them too. Im not going crazy and cutting up my treet and gems blades as I'm lazy. I get a good 5 or 6 shaves per blade, but do shower shave so prep may have something to do with it.

I've found the core is more gentle than the hydrid but both are close and comfortable.

Sorry for the tome.

Last edited:
Straight to the point review. I have the hybrid and the core. Both are......well simply great. Like many I grew up with "proper" shaving like dad showed me. At the sink, brush, soap (stick) and a decent Gillette razor and blade. Then cold water splash and may be some smelly afterwards if you weren't a real man or at least that's what my dad would say. For me though the cartridge razor was the thing of the times and looked like a sexy sports coupe. Down side was I just got so many ingrowns that I would spend hours picking them out. I always went back to the DE way and for the most had decent shaves and less ingrowns. I've tried the injector route but never really got on with it, but SE kinda gelled with me and my skin. Shaving became more pleasurable and ingrowns faded away.

Fate though has a way of stuffing you over now and again. Safe to say in the past years because of chronic infections I have to take alot of anti biotics. These make my skin sensitive and greasey. Again I flit between carts and SE. This is where the one blade comes in. To me it shaves like a cart but has all the experience of an Eveready, Gem or the down right sublime Valet SE razors. It suits my skin to a tee. No irritation, redness, nicks or weepers. Skin so soft afterwards even SWMBO has noticed the difference. A consequence of this is my AS, and den purchases have started agin.

The oneblade may be a proprietary blade but they are easy enough to get hold of and while not the cheapest blade are still in the releme of pocket cash. I've tried the Gem blade, and do get great shaves from them too. Im not going crazy and cutting up my treet and gems blades as I'm lazy. I get a good 5 or 6 shaves per blade, but do shower shave so prep may have something to do with it.

I've found the core is more gentle than the hydrid but both are close and comfortable.

Sorry for the tome.

I just ordered the Core as a travel razor and will also do a review as I know Some will probably start out with the Core to test the waters.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a Oneblade core and I can say it is very good to me, I put all my razors through tests like buffing, Oneblade slide(referring to Gillette slide) and "J" hooking and it performs excellent. A good test for any razor for efficiency and aggression is just a two pass shave with no clean up. This will tell were the razor is set at from the factory for you.
The core is a mild razor and needs a 3 pass with some clean up with some pressure added, this is the only razor that allows me to add a little pressure and results are CCS,DFS,BBs range almost all the time consistently.
I like to cheat with a razor and add shims and the One blade core is very easy to shim and I can drive it upwards in aggression quite easily. I can make it aggressive and stop flip the blade 180 degrees in under 10 seconds and finish with standard blade gab making it a adjustable razor or just leave it standard.
I will admit I use both FHS-10 blades that came with my razor and Gem SS PTFE modified and I used Gem blades in all my ASR razors that I enjoy also using and just like Gem blades period.
So as you can see why I enjoy the Oneblade because it hits all the boxes in my check off testing.(its my #1 daily driver it seems over the last 5 months with over 50 shaves on it-that might change.) Bonus for me I get very little irritation and rarely any weepers also, I have shaved over blemishes with out opening them up.(my one flaw is I like a variety of razors and use all kinds and brands so the Core gets ignored some times, but when I reach for it I know what the ride is going to be and a smile comes on me afterwards because of shave results.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I've mentioned this on other OneBlade threads, Gifts & Care out of Valencia, Spain had probably the best price going on the Feather FHS-10 blades, especially when you buy 100 blades, roughly $0.60 per blade, cost + shipping included at today's currency exchange rate. I purchased 100 shortly after I got my Genesis at the last Big Shave West LA in 2017 and still have plenty. I have an Ocam O.R.E.N. SE plus several new and vintage DEs that are in a rotation and I do not shave daily so the Genesis only sees action 2 or 3 times a month... I think I'll use it this morning.

Admittedly the OneBlafe subscription price is better, but unless you shave with the OneBlade exclusively and daily you will generate a surplus rather quickly... But to think of it I suppose one could keep the subscription going until a stockpike is generated, cancel the subscription, them restart when the stockpile is depleted.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Easy like Sunday morning
proxy.php

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

the problem with the oneblade is only one thing that fits it. This blade is too sharp for me, and there are no others.

I tried the Core (purchased for traveling) today for the first time. I read a few reviews that stated it was unfinished plastic that irritates the skin and too mild etc. I LOVED it to be honest. IMO it was very smooth and felt great because of its light weight. I will obviously try it out a few more times before comparing it to the Genesis but I wanted to share me thoughts for anyone considering purchasing one.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I tried the Core (purchased for traveling) today for the first time. I read a few reviews that stated it was unfinished plastic that irritates the skin and too mild etc. I LOVED it to be honest. IMO it was very smooth and felt great because of its light weight. I will obviously try it out a few more times before comparing it to the Genesis but I wanted to share me thoughts for anyone considering purchasing one.
Very nice review, lots of folks who own a Genesis like it for travel from my understanding, I try to use mine every 5 days it seems and just enjoy it(I get bored with one razor it seems, razor spoiled :001_wub: ) . If you can not get a DFS from a core there is something wrong with your technique or a faulty razor IMO, it is just a user friendly mild razor and with a with 3 pass shave can be impressive and a clean up. I like my SE Gem razors and Schick injectors and over half collection is made up of these great razors and they give excellent shaves also. But the Oneblade Core is the most Carefree of them all it seems when the shaving begins.(I have no problems with using 95% of my razors until I use my aggressive razors that's when my Technique has to shifted up a notch.)
The only weakness of a One blade is the FHS-10 blade longevity and the price of it has been drifting down ward making it more appealing to some & that is a good thing for potential users & present owners.
Have some great shaves!

So I shaved with the Core and the Genesis and honestly fell in love with the Core. I shave early in the morning before work and am still half asleep. The core is effortless and comfortable. IMO the blade dragged with the Genesis which I thought was because of its thickness but it doesn’t drag on the Core. Also, the Core requires no technique IMO which is nice when you’re half asleep. I returned my genesis and am in love with the Core. Full disclosure...I like it because it’s easy and understand lots of gentlemen on here prefer wet shaving for the process/technique etc.

Top Bottom