What's new

OneBlade Core vs DE; and recc for DE blades

Hello. I've been reading this forum for a while, and thought I'd jump in.

I've had a Merkur 38C HD (I think that's the model) for 3+ years, after using cheap disposables for decades, then Harry's for several years. I like the old-school style of the Merkur + DE blades. I got into DE shaving once I found Proraso shave cream and soap!

Which DE blades to use? Local drugstore has Wilkinson (Germany), I've been using Astra (Russia) since I got 200 on amazon for a good price. But, I've used up all the Astra, and don't really want to buy Russian (even though it's Gillete). Any suggestions?

Second, I got the OneBlade Core for the $20 intro price and have used up the 10 blades. Not sure I get the hype? the Feather blades need replacing quicker than the Astra, the plastic head seems to collect soap gunk, and the swivel head seems to just be a way to get users of disposable cartridges. One doesn't need a swivel head if you just tilt your wrist. Just wanted to check your opinion before diving into my next 30 Feather blades. Or is the OneBlade Hybrid that much better?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
But, I've used up all the Astra, and don't really want to buy Russian (even though it's Gillete). Any suggestions?

The Astra SP blades Amazon is currently selling are now made in Turkey (so are their Permasharp and Nacet if that helps).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello. I've been reading this forum for a while, and thought I'd jump in.

I've had a Merkur 38C HD (I think that's the model) for 3+ years, after using cheap disposables for decades, then Harry's for several years. I like the old-school style of the Merkur + DE blades. I got into DE shaving once I found Proraso shave cream and soap!

Which DE blades to use? Local drugstore has Wilkinson (Germany), I've been using Astra (Russia) since I got 200 on amazon for a good price. But, I've used up all the Astra, and don't really want to buy Russian (even though it's Gillete). Any suggestions?

Second, I got the OneBlade Core for the $20 intro price and have used up the 10 blades. Not sure I get the hype? the Feather blades need replacing quicker than the Astra, the plastic head seems to collect soap gunk, and the swivel head seems to just be a way to get users of disposable cartridges. One doesn't need a swivel head if you just tilt your wrist. Just wanted to check your opinion before diving into my next 30 Feather blades. Or is the OneBlade Hybrid that much better?
It sounds like a 34C hd Merkur DE is what you have because you mentioned HD and that is the only razor I now with HD, great razor and is used by lots of folks who like DE razors.
I have the Oneblade core and it's a mild razor, I really enjoy the razor but it is a 3 pass with pickups and it leaves a nice shave.
I modified my Gem Personna SS PTFE blades to work in the Oneblade Core because they are better than the FHS-10 blades for longevity IMO. If you want a change of DE blade you can use the Personna blades that are still made in the USA or other countries(excellent blades IMO). Other countries make the DE blades because they are still popular in those countries still to this day. Gillette brand is still a good one and they make some blades in India (7oClock blacks and 7oclock Permasharp Stainless & Gillette Wilkinsonsword saloon and possibly a few more.) I really like the 7oclock SP (blacks) because they are sharp and smoothhhh but might not have the longevity of other Gillettes. Gillette & Personna have been making razor blades for well over 100 years and they know their customers wants.
Here is a ball park of blades that I have sort of rated IMO, top ones That are Sharp and Smooth crossing into Sharpest Category are the ones I really enjoy( also longevity is important & indicates quality materials). Picking blades is fun if you want it to be or pain in the butt also.
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
Thank you Ron!

here’s a pic of my razor. According to Amazon, I purchased a “38 HD classic barber pole”.

But amazon has been known to be wrong... lol.
E31BB7CC-8683-49AD-91E5-AC7E3738E4CB.jpeg
7300CFCE-6EA4-45C9-B55E-45497FE8BB62.jpeg

Welcome aboard!

Blades are the most ‘your mileage may vary’ (YMMV) aspect of ’traditional’ wet shaving. In other words, you really need to try things for yourself. Plus your choice may well depend on the particular razor.

I suggest you purchase a blade sampler (or two).

I'm late to the party but, as a fellow Merkur 38C user, I'll pass along a few blades I've had particularly good shaves with using this razor, listed in no particular order:
  • Gillette Nacet
  • Personna Lab Blue
  • Crystal Super Stainless
    • Honorable Mentions: Gillette Silver Blue, Voskhod
But... This is a very personal decision and I also suggest you get a blade sample pack and experiment; it's the only way to find what really works best for you.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Get some Personna Blue or Med Prep. Made in USA and good blades. Feather DE blades are good. The Feather blades for the OneBlade are not that sharp and don't last but about 1.5 shaves for me.

Welcome to B&B.
I've used up all the Astra, and don't really want to buy Russian (even though it's Gillete). Any suggestions?
The 7 O'Clock Super Platinum {blacks} and Permasharp {green} are made is India. Both good blades I hear and the former have very good sharpness.
There is also the Dorco Prime and Derby Premium as alternatives.
Second, I got the OneBlade Core for the $20 intro price and have used up the 10 blades. Not sure I get the hype? the Feather blades need replacing quicker than the Astra, the plastic head seems to collect soap gunk, and the swivel head seems to just be a way to get users of disposable cartridges.
Known to expensive on blades and you are restricted to Feather blades. Stick with the Merkur Barber Pole.
Your Barber Pole looks interesting; usually the head and handle are fixed together and the bottom knob at the base of the handle releases the cap. These razors are known as two piece razors; you have a rarity three piece.

Your Barber Pole looks interesting; usually the head and handle are fixed together and the bottom knob at the base of the handle releases the cap. These razors are known as two piece razors; you have a rarity three piece.

well yes. I dropped my Merkur Barber Pole and the top knob came loose. Now it’s a bit trickier to open/close. May have to get a new one!

well yes. I dropped my Merkur Barber Pole and the top knob came loose. Now it’s a bit trickier to open/close. May have to get a new one!
Try gluing the head to the handle with 2 pack epoxy resin then you can use it as intended. Roughen the surfaces for a good bond.

If you want to try a few different blades that aren’t made in Russia, I will mail some to you to try. PM me your address & I’ll send them to you.

Top Bottom