What's new

OneBlade Core review

The other day I saw OneBlade offering the Core razor for $20, which included shipping and 10 blades, so I decided to give it a try. First--a disclaimer. If you search my old posts, you'll see that I've been critical of OneBlade more than once. Mostly because I used to buy the Feather FHS-10 blades for $2/5 pack to go in my Valet Auto Strop razors but OneBlade got exclusivity and raised the price to $1/blade. So I don't know why I bit on the $20 offer, but I did.

Having said that, I can't complain about the razor. In fact, it's BBS close with no razor burn. It does feel a little like a cartridge razor--especially because of the plastic head. Maybe someone with the Hybrid or Genesis can offer insights into if the more expensive versions also feel like shaving with a cartridge. Anyway, overall it's a great razor. I don't like the blade prices, but it seems OneBlade has also reduced those (they had 30 blades for $20--still more than I used to pay, but getting closer). I used to get 4 or 5 shaves on each blade in the Valet, so TBD if the OneBlade is the same. I've done 2 shaves with the blade so far, and no tugging this morning so I have no issues going for shave 3 (and hopefully beyond that) as this week progresses.

Great review!

Same happened to me, I was of the same opinion but later came to think that they're not really using "exclusive" blades and that they're are harder to find but not impossible. So at $20 thought it was a great opportunity to explore and I came to the same conclusion.

Good shaver, better for someone transitioning from carts and finally it became my travel razor... And it cost me less than going to watch a bad movie with bad popcorn [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Maybe the metal head versions gave another feelings but that isn't for me to discover...

Cheers

Enviado desde mi Moto E (4) mediante Tapatalk

I bit on the OneBlade Core at $20 as well. I think it's an okay razor...easy to use, impossible to nick yourself, and gives a decent shave. The blade life is a bit of an issue, though. I've been getting about 4 shaves per blade, but the first 2 shaves are clearly better than the last 2. I am interested to know if the hybrid gives a closer shave at all or is different in any way, as I could see getting one if they went on sale, but there's no way I'd spend $350 on the Genesis.

I just had shave 3 on the same blade this morning. The results are still BBS, but it was a little tuggy on the ATG pass on my neck. I'm going to try shave 4 with the same blade tomorrow, but I think that will really be the end of life. I wonder if the people who take time to despine and notch GEM blades get more uses/blade? If nothing else, the GEM blades are cheaper.

I think they use the GEM because it's price, availability and variety... I was thinking of put these used FHS on the Valet and try shave with them, maybe one will get more shaves... also wanna make a strop and strop them... many projects...

There are some carbon steel blades from Feather, same shape but I remember they are harsh on the Valet...

Cheers

Enviado desde mi Moto E (4) mediante Tapatalk

There are lots of threads about the one blades overhere

in general
A core is milder as a hybrid is milder as a genesis
The older cores are milder as the later ones. Genesis is also evolved.

A modified gem shaves different in general even more smooth (after the first shave) and they last longer (approx twice the life of a feather) and they are cheaper.
for me still a bit to much hassle to modify them properly so I use feathers.
The I idiot proof shave makes the oneblade core my holiday and the I made a mistake with another razor but can shave over the nicks with oneblade core without issues razor.
but 80% of my shaves is with a de or another pivot head se (broman, focus)

My son is a cheek shaver and he uses the OneBlade Core. He loves it. We often think how cool it would be if our son's used the same razor as us. They think the same thing. He got me one for Father's day and he came over last night and showed me how to load the blade. Even for a cheap razor doesn't look well made or even designed very well. After we loaded the blade I noticed when you wake the razor the blade is so loosse it sounds like a box of tic tacs. Is this normal!.

My son is a cheek shaver and he uses the OneBlade Core. He loves it. We often think how cool it would be if our son's used the same razor as us. They think the same thing. He got me one for Father's day and he came over last night and showed me how to load the blade. Even for a cheap razor doesn't look well made or even designed very well. After we loaded the blade I noticed when you wake the razor the blade is so loosse it sounds like a box of tic tacs. Is this normal!.
That's 'Shake' the razor. The Razor is woke. 😄

Yes, the blade sits very loosely in the OneBlade Core. I used mine about 5 times and decided to PIF it.

Very odd indeed. For anything other than the planes of the cheeks, that seems like a bad idea. I'll find out tomorrow when I test drive it.

It is by design, the idea is that the blade follows the contours better and is more forgiving.
There are people who shim wedge on top to lock it more in place

I found it to be forgiving but awkward to use. I saw a video review where it says you should hold your index finger at the top of the handle and apply enough pressure to get there head to flex. Knowing the blade was loose, my index finger was literally trembling. No cuts or nicks, no irritation. Not really comfortable or close. When shaving it was rough and felt like there was gonna be burn. There wasn't. Two passes felt like one. I did not go the third. It think it appeals to cheek and neck shavers. On the difficult areas of the face, it doesn't seem user friendly. Blades are nice

I used a Core for a year and a half and loved it!! I upgraded to the OneBlade Hybrid and haven’t looked back since. Both are great razors for me.

Used it long time liked it more as the genesis I had (ok except for the balance looks and finish). And I like it mild. It is now my rescue razor when I did something stupid with an other razor but need to shave to be presentable.
It has been in my holiday kit from the start and still is just because a rush job in strange circumstances asks for an idiot proof shaver.
The biggest culprit is the availability of the blades outside of the states and of course blade life and blade price. Ever tried to find fhs10 in Thailand?
so in due time it will be replaced by a de (spare snmirn and a Kcg are in my drawer)

I started with the Core and really liked it. Moved up to a Hybrid and liked it even better. Purchased a Genesis and although the shaves are good overall, I prefer the Hybrid as I find it smoother.

Top Bottom