What's new

OneBlade Core Razor -- is it really just hype?

This tool i use to make the cuts
proxy.php
They work, sometimes jam on the clippings and you will screw up some blades lol

They work, sometimes jam on the clippings and you will screw up some blades lol
You need to take the left side of the tool and for the other side of the blade, I just flip the blade never had any issues, cut today 100 pieces without any failure, the other 100 pieces before were also without any failure ;) just my first 4 used blades I had cause I needed to find the right measure to cut all the rest like that.

I get most blades good but sometimes it jams. Not a biggie.
Though i still think a gem works great in a genesis less in a old core

For the moment I got 7 comfortable shaves from the modified GEM blade so a well-worked modification IMO ;) So with a packet of 16€ costs 100 GEM blades you can shave 2 years ;)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For the moment I got 7 comfortable shaves from the modified GEM blade so a well-worked modification IMO ;) So with a packet of 16€ costs 100 GEM blades you can shave 2 years ;)
I get about 10-12 good quality shaves with a Gem, but as a rule of thumb give it a toss at 10 into the spent bin!
I use my Gem blades also for Gem razors and Valet Auto strop C1 model. In Canada it costs a little more for Gem blades for 100pcs because of weaker dollar and shipping up north. Still a bargain in my thought. Oneblade core is great razor(#1 daily driver with a 3 pass shave!) and it is worth every penny I paid & bought a second one with a coupon I had for $10 US + 10 US shipping(You can not buy a used razor with shipping on _bay for that price 96% of the time).

I have a more updated Gem blade modification on this thread. GEM PTFE Modification Instructions for OneBlade -
GEM PTFE Modification Instructions for OneBlade - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gem-ptfe-modification-instructions-for-oneblade.510933/page-2 post #38
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Well the hydrid arrived last week and was pressed into service with the older feather blade form the core. Another 3 shaves all smooth and brilliant. That blade has had 6 shaves on it. As I have the Gem ready to go I'll toss the feather and put it in the hybrid for tomorrow's shave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Several YouTube reviewers and forums have gone pretty nuts over the OneBlade razor -- both in its premium Genesis form and more affordable plastic-head Core version.

But take a look at that online source of customer reviews called Amazon.

Wow. Out of 59 reviews for the Core, a full 42% are one or two stars. Those are lousy, hate-filled reviews. For example, "I just end up getting irritated, facially and mentally;" Or "the blades can slip past the guides and cut your face ... badly." Many of these reviews seem to be from long-time DE fans looking for the latest innovation, not inexperienced newbies coming from cart land.

I had been considering getting a OneBlade for something different in an SE razor, but after reading these fiery opinions, no way.
If you want a fabulous one blade razor, buy a straight razor. Nothing shaves better and more comfortably. And there is truly only one blade.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
No doubt but the learning curve of the Oneblade vs the straight don’t even compare. It’s like kindergarten vs a PhD
Ah, you overestimate the difficulty of the straight razor as do many others. It really isn’t that difficult. The biggest hurdle is the initial intimidation. The first thirty or so shaves are most of the learning curve. You could easily shave your cheeks well on the first attempt. By shave 100, you will be wondering why you waited so long. Ultimately, you would find the straight razor much more comfortable and easier in many ways than a DE. Also, those DE nicks will be a thing of the past. Just get a $20 Parker SR1 shavette off Amazon and give it a go. I know you want to. PM me and I’ll guide you along. I’m quite serious. I haven’t had a student for a good while now.

Ah, you overestimate the difficulty of the straight razor as do many others. It really isn’t that difficult. The biggest hurdle is the initial intimidation. The first thirty or so shaves are most of the learning curve. You could easily shave your cheeks well on the first attempt. By shave 100, you will be wondering why you waited so long. Ultimately, you would find the straight razor much more comfortable and easier in many ways than a DE. Also, those DE nicks will be a thing of the past. Just get a $20 Parker SR1 shavette off Amazon and give it a go. I know you want to. PM me and I’ll guide you along. I’m quite serious. I haven’t had a student for a good while now.
I tried it for several months. Yes, I could easily shave my cheeks but I could also just as easily gash them to where I had to wear bandaids to be able to go to work. I worked at it, probably shy of the 100 shaves but my progress was just too slow. In the end, it just wasn’t for me as much as I wanted it to be.

I own both a SR and a One Blade Core. Thinking back, I would say that the learning curve on the SR was about three dozen shaves to get WTG, XTG and ATG down, and that experience came with some drama. Really a full year to dial in the nuances and learning how to do a touch up hone. Nothing too difficult but it did take perseverance and patience.

The learning curve on a Core is one shave and no drama. Like most safety razors it is not anywhere near as versatile as a straight razor, nor is the shave quite as comfortable, but that is the price you pay for safety and convenience.

Can someone advise me please, if I modify the Gem blades as shown / described, will they fit and be ok in a One Blade Core, I thought I had read they don't do so well in the Core plastic headed razor. Any help much appreciated

Ron R

Can someone advise me please, if I modify the Gem blades as shown / described, will they fit and be ok in a One Blade Core, I thought I had read they don't do so well in the Core plastic headed razor. Any help much appreciated
I have over 50 shaves with my Core version # 2 since late Nov 2019 and still going strong. I left a how to modify on post #106 if that helps.

SOTD, Tue, May 05 2020

Razor: Oneblade Core version #2-Mfg 2018> Great daily driver(#1 in my den) with a modified Gem blade!
Blade: Gem SS PTFE (7) modified
Soap : Haslinger Schamfmilch- mild scent with excellent lather qualities. Triple milled also.
Brush: Yaqi timberwolf 24 mm- great lather making tool and worked well on hard soap today.
Pre shave: Shower, brush wash face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Prorazo green aftershave lotion with witch hazel + a small dollop of Nivea sensitive balm on beard area.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave & in sweet spot target.

SOTD , May 5th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that, I dont have a "heavy" beard but was getting tee'd off at only getting 1 or 1.5 shaves with a Feather, so off to buy a nibbler and some gens, cheers

I see people doing that but seems like a heck of a lot of trouble to save such a small amount of money. I shave 5-6 days/week and use a blade twice so even at $.60 or $.70 a blade thats only a couple dollars a week. I spend way more than that every day on coffee. So for such a nice shave I feel its not much of an expense.

I see people doing that but seems like a heck of a lot of trouble to save such a small amount of money. I shave 5-6 days/week and use a blade twice so even at $.60 or $.70 a blade thats only a couple dollars a week. I spend way more than that every day on coffee. So for such a nice shave I feel its not much of an expense.

I dont think those that are using Gem blades are entirely due to cost. Some just prefer them over Feathers.

Ron R

I'm not sold 100% on your thought about costs, it cost's $1.00 a blade so if you get two shaves that's .$50 cents a shave for me anyway.
I buy Gem blades by the 100 pcs because I use ASR razors also and it works to about $.02-.03 cents a shave(I get 10+ good shaves per blade consistently).
But the most important thing that should be considered does a fellow want to screw around with sharp blades to save a few dollars, to me its NOT a big deal because I have other razors that take modified blades.
To a elderly person who has health issues(blood thinners) its not worth getting cut over and taken to the hospital in these days of high cost care and who knows what lurks there so it would not be worth it.(mind you a person can just get a cut installing any blade in any razor)
In Canada we have a different health care system and it is not perfect but will not bankrupt a person like in some countries were it has gone bonkers for $imple treatments. My wife had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico at a private hospital and it was very very expensive IMO.(went off topic a bit)
The Gem SS PTFE blade is a far superior blade in longevity, sharpness and in a Core is very smooth IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom