What's new

OneBlade Core Razor -- is it really just hype?

Genesis is a very nice razor. Beautiful made. It can bite though! Just do not press on it. And give some time to get the hang of it. If needed check sharpologist for videos.
If you encounter slippery handle. Rubb some alum on your hands. I know I wrapped mine with paracord first (ugly effective). Still I needed to shave with a fixed head de before I really got the hang of it.

Two shaves in with my new core, trouble free and the 2nd bbs. The hybrid is actually cheaper here in the UK than importing from the US. Do I go for it after just the 2 shaves? It's a plastic V metal shaving head thing.

If any UK owners want to sell their hybrid, let me know.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Glad I found this thread, when my genesis arrives I’ll do a review as I couldn’t find too many that didn’t turn into “ways to to make other blades fit in the one blade” threads.
Check post #24 if your interested in modifying a Gem blade for the Genesis.

Two shaves in with my new core, trouble free and the 2nd bbs. The hybrid is actually cheaper here in the UK than importing from the US. Do I go for it after just the 2 shaves? It's a plastic V metal shaving head thing.

If any UK owners want to sell their hybrid, let me know.
Lol if you get bbs with ease with a core I would not do it. Hybrid and genesis are more efficient. And the genesis is more beautiful

Heck I have a genesis never use it will put it on fleebay before the brexit grinnn of with our import taxes wait until after it.

But serious genesis is beautiful engineering. Imho putting a genesis head on a core handle is not. Oh and I will still keep the core!
They should have made a different ( allu) handle for that hybrid.

The Hybrid doesn't look bad, and is a close second to shave quality to the Genesis, maybe 90% of the Genesis benefits, at half the cost. - Of course I paid under $100 for my Hybrid, then they had that Black Friday sale, with the Genesis discounted 50%, and allowed stacking of a discount code from buying the Hybrid. :biggrin1:

I like them all, and the Core supplanted my Tech & MingShi as my travel razor. My daily driver though is the Genesis, as nothing gives as good a shave, with that much comfort. (I'll admit, my Micromatic is also fantastic, although believe it or not, the Genesis after three passes feels slightly smoother, as in more glass like). FWIW, they both go around 10 shaves with a Personna GEM Blade, at least for me and my beard.

I have a used Genesis from the BST forum coming on Monday. Very anxious to give this a try. Feather DE blades and I get along fine. In fact, the cartridge razor I use for travel is the Feather NeoII. So I’m hoping this whole “no blade choice” issue is a non issue for me.

I bought the Core for $20--figured with 10 blades and free shipping there was nothing to lose. I fell in love with it almost immediately. The polymer head is light compared to the handle, so it does feel like using a lot of pressure, but I adapted to that quickly. I decided to buy the Genesis on sale for $199 and have to admit the balance is so much better and the metal head is obviously more comfortable coming from DE razors. The FHS-10 blade doesn't give me any irritation and, like any other blade, I toss it when it starts to tug which has been anywhere from 4 to 10 shaves. All I do is dry and flip the blade after every use and it seems to help extend the life a little.
4-10 shaved! Wow I get 1-3 depending on hair growth and the blade. Do you do anything special with the blades to have them last that long?

Lol if you get bbs with ease with a core I would not do it. Hybrid and genesis are more efficient. And the genesis is more beautiful

Well the deed is done, last night pressed the check out button at executive shaving again. I've got the hybrid coming my way. I've justified my purchase to the wife along the lines of the core can be a travel razor etc. Also threw in a large bottle of clubman lime scent and a small bottle of clubman citrus musk as a taster.

I'm genuinely anticipating the arrival.

Lazy Sunday so we make some GEM Oneblade ready’s ;)
proxy.php

proxy.php

Would this work with my newly purchased one blade core? I only ask as I do have a few tucks of Gem and treet baldes in the den ade storage facility aka tupperware box.

It should work, just be carefull not to force the blade in a core it is not a metal head. Older cores have softer plastic you could slice the blade stops of the guard. Newer cores have harder material

Last edited:
I might be in the minority, but I before the core to the hybrid. I like the mild feel and ease of getting dfs. If I am stepping up to the stainless head I just go for my genesis. Might sell the hybrid, but not sure.
Well I use my HYBRID in weekdays and the Genesis v2 in the weekend for some more luxury shaves ;) the Core I use as a travel razor, but I think I look for a leather pouch to take my HYBRID as a travel razor cause the shave is better than with the Core.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Would this work with my newly purchased one blade core? I only ask as I do have a few tucks of Gem and treet baldes in the den ade storage facility aka tupperware box.
I laid out my way on post #24 that might help you. It works for me, there are certain steps to follow for success.

Couldn't wait. Took some old blades both Gem and Feather into the work shop. Had a go and with no effort got it right. So trimmed up a new Gem, lathered some arko with my omega travler and just had a DFS with absolutely no thoughts of angles, stretching etc. The Gem gave loads more audio feedback and felt more positive on the skin. I've put the feather back in as I know I can get 2 more shaves from it, I'll then use the Gem for a few more. Thanks for the info and enabling guys.

Top Bottom