What's new

OneBlade Core Razor -- is it really just hype?

I wanted to love this razor but I just couldn't get a decent shave from it after the first blade. Props to those folks who get great shaves from it, but it just doesn't work for me.

I bought a core V2 when they first came out. I didn’t like the concept of one propriety blade and an expensive one at that. I would have preferred a blade that for me at least was good for more than one shave

I’ve been wet shaving for years and really like the one blade concept but found that the shave was inefficient and worse produced a substantial post shave rash.

to be fair I suspect the blade. I seem to have this problem with all Japanese blades yet I can use a sharp one like permasharp with no problems

I was also foolishenough to to let’s slip the core onto the worktop. A drop of about 8 inches or so and the head broke in two.

I’m sure this razor has true potential but for me it disappointed in so many ways. An expensive mistake.

just glad I didn’t pull the trigger on a genesis or hybrid

All I did was modify a Bunch of Gem blades with a magnetic business card wedge to prevent the blade moving around to fit my Core version 2 and I,m happy with the combination of a excellent razor and a excellent Gem blade that gives me some of the best shaves.
Can you send pics of what you are doing with the magnetic business card wedge? I have been using despined Gem blades with all of my OneBlades (I have the Genesis, Hybrid, and Core) and find that the Core really has problems with getting a good shave using the same despined blade that the Genesis does not. I seriously believe that the geometry of the heads on all of the models are slightly different.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Can you send pics of what you are doing with the magnetic business card wedge? I have been using despined Gem blades with all of my OneBlades (I have the Genesis, Hybrid, and Core) and find that the Core really has problems with getting a good shave using the same despined blade that the Genesis does not. I seriously believe that the geometry of the heads on all of the models are slightly different.
I like to help a fellows who contribute to this site and so I took some photo's for you. The blade was the hardest part to cut but now I have mastered that one also using some spent blades before using new ones!
The purpose of the magnetic card(it does not have to be this item but it is waterproof , rubbery and looks great for photo's) is to keep the blade pinned down and up against the blade stops while under a little pressure. This configuration works well and be careful not to push hard on the blade that could damage the core blade stops. The Hybrid or Genesis are not as big a concern because they are stainless stops.
ONE B 2 (2).jpg As you can see there are top skid nibs to glance the blade downwards to the bottom blade seat when inserting a blade and that is what the magnetic card wedges the top nips under to keep the blade from moving around from a rough trimmed blade.
ONE B3 (2).jpgThis a Gem blade I have been using for shaving and this set up works even with pressure applied to the skin to make the razor work to it's potential. Most people learning the core will be hesitant to apply pressure at first and results will be not stellar IMO because you should not use pressure on regular traditional razors is known as Taboo. This razor is different in that respect for pressure applied. Youtube has videos on how to use a Oneblade razor.
ONE B 1 (2).jpg This is not written in stone and this is what i use and it works. I was using a smaller wedge but I like this one for its appearance. After shaving take out the magnetic wedge to dry for next shave.
ONE B4 (2).jpg This is the thickness after removing advertisement .020 thousands of a inch from the magnetic card. Some were around this thickness will work IMO.
ONE B5 (2).jpgONE B6 (2).jpg This is the final position of the wedge doing its job, I found the blade is seated on the bottom blade riser seats and the blade is firm and reasonably secure to the blade stops.
This is not for every one to do but being the stubborn type I like my Gem blades over the FHS-10 blade. The FHS blade is a good blade for a least 2 shaves IMO and maybe more but my preference is Gem .
The problem when using a Gem blade is getting the exact measurements and keeping the blade up against the stops, to sloppy and the blade will move away from the stops creating a blade that does not perform well and that is were the wedge will keep the blade pinned down.
Trimming a Gem blade can be a little dangerous for some and not recommended if you have bad nerves or just the careless type.
Is it worth it?- to me I like the challenge and performance strength of a Gem blade.

Have some great shaves

Last edited:
Thanks @Ron R, it seems that great minds think alike. When fooling around with my OREN trying to get a close shave with it, I found that a floating Feather AC blade was not a good idea and so tried inserting a plastic shim to stiffen the blade. A couple of weeks after getting my Core, I noticed that the blade movement really made the shave way too mild, probably because of the plastic flexing more than stainless steel. I took the OREN idea and made a wider shim very similar to your magnetic business card and got some good success with it before I put the Core down for a while. After I saw your post, I picked it up again tonight for a shave and found it shaved as well as I remembered it doing the last time I tried it.

Your shim has the advantage of sticking to the blade, making it easier to load and unload, and so that might be something for me to look into as my method means that I need to be holding the blade in the proper place while inserting the shim and then making sure it is seated so the blade does not move.

Great idea, thanks.

DSC03011.JPG

DSC03012.JPG

Ron R

Thanks @Ron R, it seems that great minds think alike. When fooling around with my OREN trying to get a close shave with it, I found that a floating Feather AC blade was not a good idea and so tried inserting a plastic shim to stiffen the blade. A couple of weeks after getting my Core, I noticed that the blade movement really made the shave way too mild, probably because of the plastic flexing more than stainless steel. I took the OREN idea and made a wider shim very similar to your magnetic business card and got some good success with it before I put the Core down for a while. After I saw your post, I picked it up again tonight for a shave and found it shaved as well as I remembered it doing the last time I tried it.

Your shim has the advantage of sticking to the blade, making it easier to load and unload, and so that might be something for me to look into as my method means that I need to be holding the blade in the proper place while inserting the shim and then making sure it is seated so the blade does not move.

Great idea, thanks.

View attachment 1044032
View attachment 1044031
Looks pretty nice, it will help the performance of the blade. The FHS-1 blade sits in the core loose yet it works fine, most fellows have been told to have rigidity in a razor. Yet Onecore blew that idea out the window and it works, I'm old school maybe and prefer the rigid method but I'm impressed with this razor and have been reaching for it often.
Onecore claims it is not necessary to have the blade solid and floating works well. It's not like they don't have the brain power to make it solid but their testing indicates there is not much performance difference floating or solid blade seating for this razor!
Have some great shaves!

The current Core has been improved from the originals, which for me, simply didn't provide a very close shave. I nearly was turned off completely by the OneBlade, but picked up a Hybrid earlier in the year for around $90 on sales, with a coupon on top of the sale price. Wow, day and night different, and it became one of my go-to razors.

On Black Friday, they have the Genesis for 50% off, actually everything was 50% off, and I grabbed a Genesis with 90 Blades & 3 Banks for around $234, or something like that. The Genesis actually shaves a bit closer, or dare I say more aggressively than the Hybrid. - Easily gives me a fantastic BBS shave in three passes, and does cope with multiple days growth quite well.

I also have the most recent Core model, still new in the box, which I grabbed prior to the Genesis, for I want to say $19.00 or something like that. (Heck that makes the razor $10-$11, given the normal cost of a pack of blades). Haven't used it yet, but she'll be my travel razor, when it doesn't make sense to bring an expensive razor, or I'll gift it to one of my brothers. From what I hear, the newest model (3rd Gen) shaves better than the original, and then the slightly modified original from 2017. - Half tempted to open the box and give it shave to test. I'll post when/if I do.

I'm convinced there are differences in the head geometry, maybe the modification to allow the metal head to mount onto the Core handle shifted the pivot point a bit, but the Hybrid feels just a bit milder than the Genesis. (I can give myself a weeper with the Genesis and a Feather blade quite easily, but the Hybrid doesn't seem to do so). I'll be pushing a GEM into the Genesis by the weekend, which works fantastic in the Hybrid.

I found the Core required a lot of patience to develop a close shave technique. More time than I cared to spend on it. Also, the proprietary blades with a short life span was a big turn off. Once I stray from my Schicks I always come scampering back. I have about learned to stay put with Schick.

Ron R

I found the Core required a lot of patience to develop a close shave technique. More time than I cared to spend on it. Also, the proprietary blades with a short life span was a big turn off. Once I stray from my Schicks I always come scampering back. I have about learned to stay put with Schick.
I like my Schick razors also and they have some great models that will shave close. The Oneblade was easy for me learn watching "Steve, the daily shaver" on youtube showing how to use one properly. The razor might be even faster to shave with than almost anything in my large razor collection. The Core is a bargin for $20.00 IMO if you want to see if your interested in this type of shaving. The core needs pressure to work to its maximum and to most of us that goes against tradition shaving wisdom not to apply pressure on any razor. My Schick blades cost about a $1.00 a blade but the longevity is much better by a factor of 5X-7X and that does tell me FHS-10 needs some improvements IMO. The first shave with a FHS blade is just stellar IMO with my core.
You have to compliment Oneblade for making a razor when used properly can shave irritation free with no weepers and fast IMO. I used Gillette cartridge razors for over 35 years and I think I could almost shave just as fast if I wanted to but I'm retired and I like to take my time shaving.
Enough bragging this razor up today and onto my Enders speed shaver tomorrow that is a excellent razor for shaving.
Its a like shaving with a Schick but open comb with a Schick b-20 proline in a Enders blade carrier that gives some remarkable shaves. Schick open comb injectors are very rare beasts and only came with the very early models I believe.
Have some great shaves!

I have always seen my Core as a special occasion razor. It is very different fromall my other non-cartridge razors. Cheap in comparison to a Genisis, but expensive in terms of blades. So I only use it really consciously.

For an every day shaver we'd need a modern version of the FHS-10.

But I cannot imagine anyone producing a modern blade exclusively for a razor whose producer is comfortable with the expensive yet fast aging blades.

br
godek

Ron R

SOTD Sat Dec 21-2019

Razor : Oneblade core- MFG 2019-Great daily driver!
Blade : Modified Gem Personna SS PTFE (#,,,,,,,,,,)
Soap : Santa Maria del Flore Firenze by Razorock- great soap
Brush : Razorock Plissoft
Preshave : Brush wash my face with CerVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Post shave : Proraso red Sandal wood with witch Hazel + Nivea balm
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:

SOTD Dec 21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I have got a genesis a core v1, V2. Most likely going to keep the v1 and sell the others. The genesis needs attention during shaving but great result.
the v1 is a great brainless shaver for when I did cut myself with an other razor or for holiday when super mild is enough. the feather blades are a bit expensive for that 2.5 time shave though and impossible to get abroad. and I still plan to mod one of the cores for using gem blades with a spine. Buttttt in the end my focus r48 and now a tad more aggressive r50 do it all with ease and standard blades. I just received a broman to try so far I do not trust the cap nor the very soft spring. Go figure. and for more proper shaving technique I am still happy with my Parker variant, merkur futul and Gilette black beauty. So most likely going eBay Europe with some of the wallhangers

I have got a genesis a core v1, V2. Most likely going to keep the v1 and sell the others. The genesis needs attention during shaving but great result.
the v1 is a great brainless shaver for when I did cut myself with an other razor or for holiday when super mild is enough. the feather blades are a bit expensive for that 2.5 time shave though and impossible to get abroad. and I still plan to mod one of the cores for using gem blades with a spine. Buttttt in the end my focus r48 and now a tad more aggressive r50 do it all with ease and standard blades. I just received a broman to try so far I do not trust the cap nor the very soft spring. Go figure. and for more proper shaving technique I am still happy with my Parker variant, merkur futul and Gilette black beauty. So most likely going eBay Europe with some of the wallhangers
A OneBlade Core using a Gem blade
With the spine still attached , now that
Is going to be very very interesting.
Please be sure to report back here when
It's done

You can easily cut the two blade locks out in a plastic core. If I remember correct the slit itself is wide enough for a gem with spine (and easy to widen)
So far I did not find a way to make new blade locks for the gem so a backburner project (definitely since the r48 performs great).
Now if someone made a modified genesis head for this.....

You can easily cut the two blade locks out in a plastic core. If I remember correct the slit itself is wide enough for a gem with spine (and easy to widen)
So far I did not find a way to make new blade locks for the gem so a backburner project (definitely since the r48 performs great).
Now if someone made a modified genesis head for this.....
What is a R48 ?

What is a R48 ?
Focus Dynamic R48 an alluminium half de blade razor with a pivot head made in Italy. And if you want it more efficient it’s R50 stainless brother. I love my r48 they are somewhere between a oneblade core and genesis in mildnes. Do not work on multi day beards. Not as brainless shaving as a core though!
they are definitely not everybodies friend!
But a nice oneblade alternative with loads of affordable long lasting blade freedom to choose from. Start with a Gilette 7 o clock and end with a kai if you want more agressive. I prefer bic chrome.
If you use them just be damn sure you load the blade properly straight!
Most of the slaughter you see happens when that blade is askew. And since they do not give audible cutting feedback.....
blade loading is its Achilles heel and that is where a oneblade genesis shines (with a core you need to be carefull not to cut the plastic blade stops/guards)
So excercise and check! After some time it is effordless to do it right but I still do it fully awake with good light.

Focus Dynamic R48 an alluminium half de blade razor with a pivot head made in Italy. And if you want it more efficient it’s R50 stainless brother. I love my r48 they are somewhere between a oneblade core and genesis in mildnes. Do not work on multi day beards. Not as brainless shaving as a core though!
they are definitely not everybodies friend!
But a nice oneblade alternative with loads of affordable long lasting blade freedom to choose from. Start with a Gilette 7 o clock and end with a kai if you want more agressive. I prefer bic chrome.
If you use them just be damn sure you load the blade properly straight!
Most of the slaughter you see happens when that blade is askew. And since they do not give audible cutting feedback.....
blade loading is its Achilles heel and that is where a oneblade genesis shines (with a core you need to be carefull not to cut the plastic blade stops/guards)
So excercise and check! After some time it is effordless to do it right but I still do it fully awake with good light.
Thanks for such really good info.

Top Bottom