What's new

OneBlade Core...how much pressure?

I have watched more minutes (or hours maybe) than I care to admit of videos explaining how to use the OneBlade properly. I am still confused as to how much pressure is necessary. Some people say to press down, like with a cart. Others say to use like a DE, with little or no pressure.

Can I get a final judgment from the experts?

For the Core - depends on which version.

If it’s the latest version, V3, with the crystalline PPS head, only a tiny amount of pressure is needed, just enough that the pivot is minimally engaged.

How do you know if it’s this version: did you buy it in the last few months? is the head a slightly duller matte finish than the handle? if you flick it gently with your fingernail, is there a strange semi-metallic sound rather than the usual noise you expect plastic to make? If yes to these questions, particularly the last two, it’s probably the v3.

If it’s the V2 core with the tritan head - a bit more pressure than that.

If it’s the original V1 core - a fair bit of pressure.

Finally, for the Genesis V2 - same as the Core V3, only even slightly less than that.

It’s also worth considering where you apply the pressure. Any tiny amount of pressure involved is better applied to the top of the head rather than the bottom. That way the pressure is translated efficiently through the pivot.

076A8AE1-CAAF-4AC2-A63E-00FFCAC34319.jpeg

Thanks Theodore. I didn't even know there was a Core v3. It sounds like the actual pressure on the blade is not much more than with a DE for the v3.

Yeah, I don’t think Oneblade has a policy of formally designating the Core version numbers, the way they did with V1 and V2 of their all-metal ones. But these are the iterations I have seen it go through.

They don’t even acknowledge the new PPS head on the website yet, which I find strange. If you wanted to order a core and be sure you got the new head, I’d write to them and check if that’s what they’d send you.

Newbie here. Starting with the Oneblade core before venturing to DE saftey razors. I am struggling with how much pressure too. My first two shaves with minimal pressure, beard reduction is very limited. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Theodore, A few months back I wrote to OneBlade asking what version they would send me if I bought one. They said the one with the PPS head. Of course that wasn't for the 19.99 special that I asked.

Mine has a definite duller matte finish on the head than the handle, which is shiny. I guess I can sleep easy knowing I have the PPS head.

Is the packaging the same for all three versions?

I am toying with mine with the same duller matte head. I’m noticing to engage the pivot , you need to hold it choked up far more than a DE.

Theodore, A few months back I wrote to OneBlade asking what version they would send me if I bought one. They said the one with the PPS head. Of course that wasn't for the 19.99 special that I asked.

Mine has a definite duller matte finish on the head than the handle, which is shiny. I guess I can sleep easy knowing I have the PPS head.

Is the packaging the same for all three versions?

Yep, sounds like you got the PPS.

As it was a prototype, I didn’t get mine with the full packaging, so I can’t say if the box is different.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If you are a DE shaver, forget what you know when using this razor use at least as much pressure as it takes to activate the pivot laying it flat on your face. Too much pressure, you will not cut yourself.

Newbie here. Starting with the Oneblade core before venturing to DE saftey razors. I am struggling with how much pressure too. My first two shaves with minimal pressure, beard reduction is very limited. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It’s hard for me to describe how much pressure to use, but I can say that what works for me is using longer strokes on my initial WTG pass. By doing this I can get the feel of how much pressure needed to allow the pivot to engage, although I think it’s mainly in the background. On my 2nd and 3rd pass I use shorter strokes and keep the register flat to the skin and raise the handle just a tad as I’m shaving to keep it flat. I’m not using much pressure on any of the passes, but definitely using enough to allow the pivot to do its job (sometimes a slight audible click is there).

The main thing I found with these razors (have the Hybrid too) is that, for me, I made myself give the razor a fair shot and committed to almost 2 full weeks of shaves to ensure I got most out of it. Once I figured out what works for me, I can say that they have become my go to razors. I’m getting super close, irritation free shaves. I’ve downsized to three razors, the Core, Hybrid and a Rockwell 6C, and the OneBlade razors get used the most.

I actually bought and sold a Genesis in late 2017 prematurely because I had some money I was just itching to spend, but didn’t give the razor a fair try. I used it a few times, then let it sit for a while before selling it. Kind of regret that now, but the Hybrid is a good replacement for me.

Good luck and try to stick with it for an extended trial to see if it works for you. It’s definitely not for everyone, but for me it’s been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Boy I had a shave with my Core , and you can get a nick and weeper with this thing from using too much pressure. Don’t let it’s mild label fool you I suppose.

This is my sixth day using a Core. I have found it easier to use than a Supply but still not satisfying. I've been surprised at how quickly the blades lose their edge. Three, maybe four, maybe the max for me and that's not good enough. I'm going to keep trying with the 21 days trial in mind. Learning to dial in for the floating head is the hard part.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
@wwoof I get two great shaves. I can do shave 3 and 4 with the same blade, if I have too. Blade longevity is never going to be a strong point of the OneBlade. For those of us it shaves well, it's a nice razor minus that one point.

Top Bottom