What's new

OneBlade Core for $19.99

I see this ad on Facebook, but can’t ever find it elsewhere. I’ve tried the Core and it’s damn good. At $20, it’s just a no-brainer.

Razor cost is ok, but theh blades at roughly $1 each for 2-3 shaves (according to maker) makes the whole deal, hmm ... well, same marketing scheme as Gillette cartridges. :nono:

A dollar each is a bit steep. But if you don't mind buying bulk, you can get them for about half of that price.

Got a total of $54 shipped with code "twitter" as a coupon code.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’m kinda tempted to buy it. I can’t tell....does it take double edge blades?

I’m kinda tempted to buy it. I can’t tell....does it take double edge blades?

No. It takes the Feather FHS-10 blades that were intended to fit Valet Auto Strop razors. It doesn't fit anything else. And they're absurdly expensive per shave.

They should be paying you $20 to take the razor, not the other way around.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No. It takes the Feather FHS-10 blades that were intended to fit Valet Auto Strop razors. It doesn't fit anything else. And they're absurdly expensive.

They should be paying you $20 to take the razor, not the other way around.
Thanks. No longer tempted!

No. It takes the Feather FHS-10 blades that were intended to fit Valet Auto Strop razors. It doesn't fit anything else. And they're absurdly expensive per shave. They should be paying you $20 to take the razor, not the other way around.

+1 :thumbup:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I purchased the core for the $20. Figured if it stinks, I could use the blades in one of my valet razors. Worth the shot in my opinion. It just came in. Feels like a quality build to me. We will see how it shaves.
20191011_150301.jpg

I ordered the Genesis for $400 a couple of weeks ago. When it didn’t ship in two weeks I wrote customer service. They said production was backed up thanks to the 50% off sale. Asked if I could get that offer and they refunded $200! At $400, the Genesis is a stretch, but at half that, I think it’s a good deal.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I really liked it when I did the trial. Blade seemed to have a little play, but did not impact the shave, which was excellent.

I have one of the Ocam razors, and that has quite a bit of play in the blade. It doesn’t affect the shave in that case either. Should have my first shave with the Core tomorrow.

I have one of the Ocam razors, and that has quite a bit of play in the blade. It doesn’t affect the shave in that case either. Should have my first shave with the Core tomorrow.
Apparently the OneBlade designers liked that the back floated a little bit. They apparently came up with a way to really lock the whole blade in place, but people didn't like it as much. Kind of interesting.

I took a flier on OneBlade after seeing the Facebook ad. It will arrive soon, maybe even today. You can get the Feathers on the Bay for much less than OneBlade is offering, but... I already own, use, and am happy with my Feather Popular DE that I bought for $12.99! With Feather DE blades selling for twenty-five cents per when you buy 100-packs, the only argument for the OneBlade Core is shave quality. We shall see.

I bought a Core for $19.99 a couple of weeks ago and I have about four shaves on the razor. My initial opinion is that I'm glad I didn't pay full price for the razor. The razor is well-made and the first shave was quite good after three passes, but the blade didn't last even one pass into the second shave before I had to change it out. I've gotten merely adequate shaves on the subsequent three shaves. I used a fresh blade for each three-pass shave and all of them required a finishing pass with another razor to clean up the leftover stubble. I'm not sure if it's my technique or the blades causing the problem, and frankly, I'm not sure I'll put the effort into finding out.

So ...... I took a chance on this deal, too. After 6 shaves, I can say with confidence ....... that it isn’t worth the 20 bucks.

It has the feel of a cheap plastic razor ..... albeit weighted nicely with the metal core in the handle. As many others have said, the blade is good for one or two shaves. In my case it is 1. But even for that 1 shave, it does a pretty lousy job. Just not actually very sharp.

Weird feel to the razor. Handle is slippery and oddly shaped. Head is wide and prevents me from getting up under my nose (I’ve tried 6 times without success). No idea what the pivot is supposed to do. I have to lean real hard on it to get it to engage, and if I just shave naturally it never does.

The resulting shave? Maybe 3 out of 10 for me. If I work real hard there is no visible stubble ..... but my face is still rough. 3 passes, 4 passes, same result.

I went for the $8 shipping cost trial on the Genesis and Hybrid. They arrived a couple days ago. I’ll try them but suspect they’re going back without a purchase. Gonna have to make myself try it so the $8 isn’t a total waste.

Absolutely no idea whatsoever why these razors cost so much. Kind of blows my mind.

But ......... if you like ‘em. Cool. Enjoy!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have also been using my $20 Core. I think it shaves okay. But I have DE’s and SE’s that shave much better. And it feels like a cartridge razor when I’m using it. It is worth the $20 to try it. I’ve spent more on worse razors. But I can’t see myself using it long term. I will give it a couple more tries.

Very interesting. First shave with the trial Genesis this morning. Completely different experience from Core.

First of all, the blade fit much more snugly into the head. It actually rattles around in the Core head, but is held firmly and tightly in the Genesis. This, unless there is also a geometry difference, produced a much better shave experience and result. I was actually able to get up in there under my nose.

Second, the handle was much more comfortable in my hand. Largely because it is steel and not plastic, but also because the “core” is hollow. Without the metal rod in the core of the plastic handle, my fingers were able to grip the handle much more naturally. And of course because it is not plastic, it was not slippery.

I’ll use it again tomorrow, but first impression is very positive. Completely different from Core. Still don’t understand the pivot, though. As far as I can tell, it did not engage this morning.

I took a flier on OneBlade after seeing the Facebook ad. It will arrive soon, maybe even today. You can get the Feathers on the Bay for much less than OneBlade is offering, but... I already own, use, and am happy with my Feather Popular DE that I bought for $12.99! With Feather DE blades selling for twenty-five cents per when you buy 100-packs, the only argument for the OneBlade Core is shave quality. We shall see.

On second though, put the Core up on eBay at a slight loss, unless people bid it like crazy, and I expect not. Why bother? There are better razors I can buy, which will take DE blades that cost me no more than 30 cents each and can give me six or seven good shaves on that. I don't see the OneBlade Core's reason to exist. I decided to bid on a Feather As D2 instead. If I lose that, there are Viking Blades to try...

I used my $19.99 Core for the first time this evening, and was pleasantly surprised at the result! Given I wasn't entirely sure of the best technique, the quality of shave was just pretty much on par with what I would expect from my usual DE shave. Not bad for a first go!

Does anyone have any thoughts on technique with this razor? Lots of comments on the forum seem to suggest actively engaging the pivot, but Sharpologist/Mantic59 prefers to use a light touch and let the pivot work in the background. The latter was closest to my approach on the maiden voyage, and it seemed largely effective.

I reckon I could shave pretty quickly with the OneBlade once I have a little more experience.

Andrew

I will gladly send my Core (with stand) along with the brush, soap, aftershave samples that came in my Genesis/Hybrid trial kit (all never used) ...... to anyone willing to share something interesting from their den with me. Send a pm ......

Top Bottom