What's new

Oneblade, a most unnatural razor

I'm using the newer Hybrid. Metal (Genesis) head slightly altered to accept the Core's Tritan (composite) handle with SS Rod. I tried a Core two years ago, sent them back, both the original and the massaged/fixed version. Couldn't get a good shave with them, but the Hybrid is a MUCH better shaver. Closer, and the blade lasts for more shaves.

With a carbon steel KAI, she gets really close, at the sacrifice of a little scraping or dragging sensation.

The GEM also worked well, with no fear of cutting off the plastic pins, being a metal head.

How can you tell the difference between the Genesis the V1?

My girlfriend’s grandpa bought one and forgot about it, so then her dad gave it a try and he hates it! He only uses plastic disposals, so for him it was too heavy, and he said the handle was slippery. So now I’m getting it. It’s not a razor I would have considered buying for myself, but I’m actually really curious to give it a try.

I’m wondering how to tell which version it is because I’d like to use GEM blades. I already have around 200 of them, since I use them in my Blackland Sabre. It sounds like for the V1 all you have to do is take the spine off, but for the Genesis it’s a little more complicated.

I believe the original locked the blade down, and there was no movement or 'giggle', while the Genesis (V2) uses a 'floating blade', which allows a little bit of blade movement. - There's also some differences in the hinge/pivot area. No movement of the blade, *should* indicate a V1.

For practical purposes, the V1 doesn't have the half round posts on each side of the blade, near the back end of the head, which matches the cut-outs of the feather blade. Without a blade loaded, look into the back side of the head opening, if there are half round or crescent raised posts on both sides, approximately 3-4mm in diameter, it's most likely a V1. Those posts are what prevents a GEM from locking into, or sitting flush in the head of the Genesis.

They also added two small bumps or supports near the front or business end, which prevents the 'smiling' that some users encountered with the original version. - You can see them if you look from the front into the blade gap, protruding down from the top, maybe 4-5 mm in from the edge of the upper guard.

I love the way the Oneblade looks. Too bad it doesn't take GEM blades without fuss. I love the idea of a modern looking razor that can give a great shave in a few minutes without the need for good technique. I'm guessing the pivoting makes it similar to how cartridges perform? I think they missed out.

My other dream razor that doesn't exist would be something akin to the RazoRock Hawk that takes regular injector blades.

Let’s bring it back…..

For a myriad of reasons that I don’t need to bring up (those with multiple razors at their disposal will understand), I had put off using the OneBlade for quite some time. This morning I looked in the shave cabinet and it was staring right at me as if begging me to grab it. So, I did. Installed a fresh FHS-5 blade in it, pulled out a Limited Edition release of B&M’s Ravish soap and went to work. I had a real good shave yesterday from the Karve but, I had enough stubble this morning to get in an easy shave with a tool that didn’t need much in input on my part. It was a delight once again to get this thing on my face and realize how easy & smooth this razor really is. Again, no special technique, modified way to hold the razor or anything that would tell me that I don’t have a traditional feeling razor in my hands. Yes, face feel during action is different from your traditional DE shavers and to some extent some other SE’s but, you don’t have to wrap your head or mind around a whole new different form of shaving to get this razor to work for you. I went through 3 smooth passes when I really was done in 2. I went for the 3rd one just to use some lather (had way too much but, I’d rather be over than under in the suds department) and to do a light clean up pass on the neck & jawline. Not an ounce of irritation, no nics or cuts and as drama free a shave as with any of my other razors.

This razor gets beat up somewhat and mostly from traditionalist who look at it as an abomination in the wet shave realm. The reasons are many with some such as it pivots, feels like a cartridge razor, uses proprietary blades, too expensive, made in China and whatever else they can think up to throw into the negative bowl of soap of reasoning they need to discount and justify their beliefs of the farce that the OneBlade is. I remember when it was first announced to the public of its eventual release to us the wet shave consumer. Somewhere between 2015-2016 and this razor was available for the buying masses. Now 2022 and the OneBlade brand is still around and still selling/producing this razor. It just works and they offer it in three class configurations with the SS model being the best for me. The Sharpologist actually put up a real nice review of it in a long term review/assessment of the OneBlade and it’s a real good read that I actually agree with to some extent. I’ll post the link below for those that want to take a nice yet quick read on Mantic59 thoughts on this razor which he updated back in September of 2020. Can’t tell you on his current thoughts of it but, he put it in high praise back then.

Regardless of anyone else’s thoughts or input, I think it’s a real good shaver. I’ve had mine for some years now and it still remains in my possession. I know, why don’t you use it as much then is the question I’m asked and I ask that myself as well. Simply, I’m a glutton for trying new razors whether modern or vintage and it’s what keeps me going in this hobby. Truthfully though, if I just needed to keep a modern day razor that had quality, precision & superb craftsmanship with a company that stands behind their products 100%, this would be an extremely viable option for me and as tough a decision I’d have to make considering the tools in my collection. Thank goodness I don’t have to. Drawback? It’s the proprietary blades that are required which aren’t the most economical in blade land. On the flip side though, this version does accept GEM blades which are much more affordable and clearly more durable though not as smooth as the FHS Feather blade (In my experience).

in short, a superb razor that does exactly what it was intended to do, give a man or woman a smooth, close and comfortable shave time after time.

Here’s the link to that article. To the Mods, if the link is not permitted, please remove and my apologies if a rule was broken with this particular post.

Great shaves to all…

9404A6C5-DE11-4DA1-AAAC-FE6E7AA9A180.jpeg

Thank you, Gus. I’m going to give mine another run to see if I can get more enjoyment out of using it thanks to reading through this thread.

Let’s bring it back…..

For a myriad of reasons that I don’t need to bring up (those with multiple razors at their disposal will understand), I had put off using the OneBlade for quite some time. This morning I looked in the shave cabinet and it was staring right at me as if begging me to grab it. So, I did. Installed a fresh FHS-5 blade in it, pulled out a Limited Edition release of B&M’s Ravish soap and went to work. I had a real good shave yesterday from the Karve but, I had enough stubble this morning to get in an easy shave with a tool that didn’t need much in input on my part. It was a delight once again to get this thing on my face and realize how easy & smooth this razor really is. Again, no special technique, modified way to hold the razor or anything that would tell me that I don’t have a traditional feeling razor in my hands. Yes, face feel during action is different from your traditional DE shavers and to some extent some other SE’s but, you don’t have to wrap your head or mind around a whole new different form of shaving to get this razor to work for you. I went through 3 smooth passes when I really was done in 2. I went for the 3rd one just to use some lather (had way too much but, I’d rather be over than under in the suds department) and to do a light clean up pass on the neck & jawline. Not an ounce of irritation, no nics or cuts and as drama free a shave as with any of my other razors.

This razor gets beat up somewhat and mostly from traditionalist who look at it as an abomination in the wet shave realm. The reasons are many with some such as it pivots, feels like a cartridge razor, uses proprietary blades, too expensive, made in China and whatever else they can think up to throw into the negative bowl of soap of reasoning they need to discount and justify their beliefs of the farce that the OneBlade is. I remember when it was first announced to the public of its eventual release to us the wet shave consumer. Somewhere between 2015-2016 and this razor was available for the buying masses. Now 2022 and the OneBlade brand is still around and still selling/producing this razor. It just works and they offer it in three class configurations with the SS model being the best for me. The Sharpologist actually put up a real nice review of it in a long term review/assessment of the OneBlade and it’s a real good read that I actually agree with to some extent. I’ll post the link below for those that want to take a nice yet quick read on Mantic59 thoughts on this razor which he updated back in September of 2020. Can’t tell you on his current thoughts of it but, he put it in high praise back then.

Regardless of anyone else’s thoughts or input, I think it’s a real good shaver. I’ve had mine for some years now and it still remains in my possession. I know, why don’t you use it as much then is the question I’m asked and I ask that myself as well. Simply, I’m a glutton for trying new razors whether modern or vintage and it’s what keeps me going in this hobby. Truthfully though, if I just needed to keep a modern day razor that had quality, precision & superb craftsmanship with a company that stands behind their products 100%, this would be an extremely viable option for me and as tough a decision I’d have to make considering the tools in my collection. Thank goodness I don’t have to. Drawback? It’s the proprietary blades that are required which aren’t the most economical in blade land. On the flip side though, this version does accept GEM blades which are much more affordable and clearly more durable though not as smooth as the FHS Feather blade (In my experience).

in short, a superb razor that does exactly what it was intended to do, give a man or woman a smooth, close and comfortable shave time after time.

Here’s the link to that article. To the Mods, if the link is not permitted, please remove and my apologies if a rule was broken with this particular post.

Great shaves to all…

View attachment 1395231

Nice write up!

I purchased a OB Genesis V2 when they first came out, I want to say around '16 or '17? I shave with DE's, SR's, Artist club based SE's, and shavettes. I tend to have a long rotation meaning that once I pick up a razor I use it for several months before moving on to something else. The other day I was digging out some more DE blades and I ran across my healthy stash of FHS blades. That prompted me to pull out the OB as I hadn't gotten around to it in a couple years. It took a few strokes to recall the best technique and then it was smooth sailing. I'm glad I dug this out, its an excellent shaver. When I first picked this razor up I played around with the carbon blades and modified Gems. Ultimately I settled on sticking with the FHS blades.

For me the OB provides a great shave. Using it is a much better experience than I would have expected and its unique enough to have earned a permanent spot in the collection.

Top Bottom