What's new

one year straight razor anniversary and PIF

One year ago today I had my first shave with my first straight razor: a white handle dovo best 5/8 from TSS. used it again today to commemorate the day.

I had used a shavette for a couple weeks prior, but I don't remember when I started. I made note of the first shave with the dovo because I had heard how it takes 100 shaves to become proficient and I wanted to keep track.

As a thank you for all the great support I've gotten here over the past year, I'm giving away my most recent restore: an imperial razor co 5/8, hollow ground.
It has new black acrylic scales with a transparent orange wedge (my school colors, both high school and college). The shape of the scales was blatently ripped off (i mean inspired by) of one of heespharm's sets he posted earlier this year. As it is to commemorate my first straight shave, I'd like the pif to provide someone else with their first straight shave.
So the rules:
1. Only open to those who've never shaved with a straight razor (if you've used a shavette, you can still enter)
2. A shave journal is NOT required. Ive never been the type to keep a diary or journal so im not gonna ask anyone else to do it. On the other hand, it can be a good way to get great advice when you are starting out and you will meet some great people in the straight shave journal area. So rule two is, if you need help, tips, etc. Post your questions/problems. Not only will you get all kinds of help, some of which might actually help, there is someone else out there who will also be helped by the answers to your questions.
3. The razor is honed and shave ready with a nice jnat edge. I will also strop it before sending it (and oil it too). Do NOT strop it before your first use. Just wipe off the oil (carefully, see rule 4) and shave.
4. By entering you acknowledge that I am sending you an extremely sharp object and you will take due care and responsibility to avoid injuring yourself or others.
5. CONUS only (sorry). There will be some other stuff coming with the razor (samples of soaps and aftershaves), so no airmail or border crossings.
6. I will also include a very inexpensive but functional starter strop. Still, don't use it for the first week or so--use a sheet of newspaper folded into a 3" wide strip and hung over a towel bar and strop slowly.
7. Commit to at least 10 shaves with it.
8. No selling the razor. If you don't like it, give it or pif it to someone else. Or send it back to me and I'll find a new victim, err.. recipient!
9. To enter (almost forgot this one) say something along the lines of "I'm in," and tell us your favorite movie (or one of your favorites if you're like me and can't narrow it down to just one because sometimes it just depends...)
10 (did forget this one, had to come back and add it). Entries taken up until midnight eastern Sunday night, may 25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perfect PIF!
I'm in, sir, thanks so much for the opportunity! I've been reading a lot about straights recently but frankly am a little hesitant to pull the trigger. Thanks so much for the opportunity!
My favorite movie that comes to mind right now is "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison" just because my dad and I watched it every day around Christmas time 3 yrs in a row. My mother and sister grew very tired of it very quickly!

Have a great day, sir, and thanks again for the opportunity!

good luck in advance to the winner, I love my straights. once the initial fear is gone they will love it. I been using straights since I was 14,glad to see someone putting back and getting another st shaver.

Congrats on the milestone!

I'm in. Don't have a favorite movie per se, but I never get tired of watching GF I and II so I guess those would count.

A great PIF to encourage someone to start straight razor shaving. Not in as I started a couple of months ago and really enjoying it.

Another fantastically generous PIF on b&b!

I'm in. Off the top of my head, my favorite movie would have to be Harvey. I've never seen a more heartwarming comedy.

Nice gesture, I like it.

Giving something back to the community, now that you mastered the skills.

Laudable....

I am in!!! Been looking for a good way to get into straights and this just might be the ticket! Thanks for offering the great PIF. One of favorite movies is Top Gun.

Chaloney, I'm most enthusiastically in!! I have been wet shaving for over two years now and have been looking to take the next step and try my hand, (and my face), at straight shaving. Thank you for this great PIF. O, one of my favorite movies is " The Best Years of Our Lives" a classic movie about the lives of GIs trying to return to civilian life after fighting in WWII.

Top Bottom