What's new

One Year Observation

...resurrected through the repristination of the past. And there may also be some looking to try to repristinate traditional symbols of masculinity, concurrently, and make some money off it in the process...
Repristinate - thank you, I learned a new word today.

It's cold and wet here so I think I'll put on my anorak. :)

Repristinate - thank you, I learned a new word today.

It's cold and wet here so I think I'll put on my anorak. :)

It's a wonderful word but I only occasionally use it. Usually when talking about the dangers of nostalgia.

I have been a religious seeker much of my adult life and that's a word that's come up in a great deal of my readings on religion, especially from a philosophical angle that looks at the conflict of modernism vs. fundamentalism. Repristination is part of a great many reactionary movements, and not just in religion. European fascism repristinated the past, for instance. But the flaw with such nostalgia is that none of us have direct access to the past, so the past we bring to the present is always a reconstruction that is sometimes more a mythology that serves ulterior motives, ones that may be as much distortions of the past as genuine appreciation.

Last edited:
Spend about a year shaving with straight razors and then DE shaving will be easy for you.

I agree that cuts and irritation are not acceptable. I shave with a shavette and don't get cuts or irritation. DEs are much simpler than shavettes. If you get cuts or irritation with a DE razor, it's your fault, not the razor's. There is an old internet meme: "You're doing it wrong."

Top Bottom