What's new

One year in the life of a Koma Nagura.

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Are these shapes of naguras meant to be used by rubbing the narrow side?
I have 2 similar shaped ones, and I rub the bottom large surface instead of the narrow side in order to protect the writings on the large top surface?

In most cases the side opposite the Asano stamps is the flatter of all the sides but not always. With this particular Nagura I would have lost 2-3mm+ to lapping the forementioned flatter side (the one with the weight and price) so I decided to use the side that was somewhat smooth already instead.

In most cases the side opposite the Asano stamps is the flatter of all the sides but not always. With this particular Nagura I would have lost 2-3mm+ to lapping the forementioned flatter side (the one with the weight and price) so I decided to use the side that was somewhat smooth already instead.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Which side you use can depend on the Nagura in question. The side opposite the stamps is the general rule but using the side of some Nagura is fine, while it's not ok with others. Botan for example - if there are lines through the stone, you want them parallel to the Honzan.

I'm using a Mejiro now that I opted for a side instead of the bottom as well, if lapping the bottom costs me anything over 1mm of nagura I'll look for an alternative.

Top Bottom