What's new

One week, one product

Hello All:

I decided, having nearly 20 (in total) creams and soaps, that I would re-dedicate myself to giving each product fair use. So, I have decided to shave with one product for a full week before moving onto another. I just received a bunch of new soaps and creams and haven't even tried most of them yet. I will start with MWF. Here is a list of products that I have:

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Proraso cream (green tube, old formula)
Proraso soap (white tub, old formula)
TOBS sandalwood cream
Mama Bear's Caribbean bay rhum soap
Cella
Lab Series maximum comfort shave cream
Arko shave stick
Lea shave stick
RazoRock Boston Tea Party
Pre de Provence
La Toja stick
Speick stick
Mike's lily of the valley soap
D.R. Harris Arlington soap
Palmolive stick
Cyril R. Salter wild rose cream
Valobra stick
Herban Cowboy dusk soap

I have much work to do. I will take notes on each week's thoughts and experiences to see where each product stands in my personal YMMV list.

Anyone else in...? I think it's the right thing to do for some of those over-looked and unfairly under-used soaps and creams in our shaving dens. Plus, it may help curb SSAD and SCAD for a bit...maybe...

Last edited:
Sounds like a solid plan. I'm trying to get into a rhythm of something similar but my strategy would be to use 1 soap or cream for the first 5 days of the week, then play the field over the weekend. I'm also trying to find some that I have but don't love so I can get rid of some.

Have you tried that Herban Cowboy yet? I haven't used it but I like the scent. I have yet to hear anyone say they like it though.

Sounds like a solid plan. I'm trying to get into a rhythm of something similar but my strategy would be to use 1 soap or cream for the first 5 days of the week, then play the field over the weekend. I'm also trying to find some that I have but don't love so I can get rid of some.

Have you tried that Herban Cowboy yet? I haven't used it but I like the scent. I have yet to hear anyone say they like it though.

No, haven't tried it. I like the scent and may use it like a shaving stick.

Not so sure I could use the same soap all week but I understand the logic behind your decision. I have way too many soaps to the point where each gets used infrequently. Need to make some decisions myself, I think, and just keep a handful of my absolute favourites.

I am in the same situation as you David. My problem, if indeed it is a problem, is that I like all of the soaps and creams that I have. There are only a few that I would not replace. I have found that I like certain products more in certain seasons such as citrus scented in warm weather and wood base scents for cooler weather. I like the variety but the herd has grown to the point where perhaps some tough shepherding is in order.

Regards,

Doug

Not so sure I could use the same soap all week but I understand the logic behind your decision. I have way too many soaps to the point where each gets used infrequently. Need to make some decisions myself, I think, and just keep a handful of my absolute favourites.

Apart from making it easier to make decisions I actually found using a soap for the entire week made me actually enjoy the soap more. When you use it once in a while you can't really appreciate its properties. 1 shave is just so short.

Last edited:
Apart from making it easier to make decisions I actually found using a soap for the entire week made me actually enjoy the soap more. When you use it once in a while you can't really appreciate it's properties. 1 shave is just so short.

This is a very good point, especially when its something new to you.

Apart from making it easier to make decisions I actually found using a soap for the entire week made me actually enjoy the soap more. When you use it once in a while you can't really appreciate it's properties. 1 shave is just so short.

A very valid point although it may make the SOTD a little boring though!:closedeye

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Can't even put a dent in MWF in a week! Maybe a month each ... good idea though and be sure to read the 3017 thread.

Just finished a week with C&E Sienna. I found I had enough other variables, razors, blades, aftershaves to keep me from boredom. Next week a cream, I think.

I know this is the soap forum, but I am doing the same with a tube of C&E Nomad - the top has broken so I am on a mission to use it up, but it will also clear a bit of clutter in the bathroom (and make room for something else I might acquire when I am in Blighty next month!).

It does save any decision making effort in the mornings! :thumbup:

Top Bottom