What's new

One week of shaves

One week in. Still shaving with the shavette. I'll have the SR in a week.

Four shaves so far. This last time I cut my chin (again.) My cheeks are smooth although I can feel with my hand slight stubble everywhere else.

But for the first time with the blade I have only mild irritation. My face isn't inflamed. And I'm much more confident with the angles and shaving (which probably caused the cut on my chin, but still.)

The reduced irritation is certainly because I'm improving although I also added a pre-shave oil which I'm sure helped. I'll keep doing that and when my technique grows solid I'll experiment with and without it.

I'm doing with the grain and attempting across the grain where I feel comfortable. My goal is consistently BBS shaves. I would have gone against the grain to try to achieve this but I could tell it would have been too harsh after the other passes.

Is there any hope for me? Or am I getting hooked?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Your goal may be BBS but don't try for it. Just work on developing your technique for no blood or skin irritation for the first 100 or so daily SR shaves. BBS will come naturally without you even trying.

Sounds good. That magic hundred shaves will come round before you know it.

I've always found shavettes more bitey than solid blade straight razors, which seem to give more warning when they're thinking about it.

It will take you a while to pick it up. Stretch more, and then some more.

I recommend Dorco blades in the FAC shavette. WHich shavette do you use?

Congrats and keep it up. A year from now you will look back and wonder why you were scared or worried about using a real razor. The real straight (depending on what you're using right now) will be more forgiving. Don't even think about BBS. One day it will come and you won't realize how long it's been happening. If you think BBS, you will do more passes trying to get it. Get that straight and I bet you will find it easier than a Shavette.
If it is properly honed!

Top Bottom