What's new

One week into wet shaving, and my first post here.

Welcome!

It is my understanding that the VDH razors are made in China by Weishi. They are a clone of one of the Gillette vintage razors. They are a mild razor, so they are good for a newcomer to the DE shaving world who is trying to learn without too much discomfort. I have both a short handle VDH and one of the newer long-handled versions. Although it is not my razor of choice, I like using it for clean-up passes after using another razor for the primary passes.

I am not certain, but I suspect that the VDH blades that come with the razor may be made by Merkur since they are both German-made, ice-tempered blades. The blades are not all that sharp, so they are often recommended to newcomers so you are less likely to nick yourself. However, for me the VDH and Merkur blades (along with Derby Extra and Shark blades) are not sharp enough to cut my coarse beard without tugging. Thus, I prefer sharper blades. However, if your beard is not as tough as mine, you might like them.

As has been mentioned by others, I suggest purchasing a blade sampler pack to see which blades work best for you. I love trying new blades to see which work best for me in different razors. I have tried packs of twenty different blade brands and have three new ones arriving later today. However, since your beard and face will differ from mine, what works best for me may not be what works best for you.

HELLO.gif

Welcome to the forum!

You've been bitten by the bug! Just wait, you'll have a nice boar or badger brush soon and a bunch of soaps and aftershaves! Next you'll get a nice case of RAD!

Ask a lot of questions, that's what we are here for! :)

Thank you all for the warm reception. I'm very glad to be here. It's funny because I went from hating to shave to looking forward to it.

RayClem, thank you for the information regarding the Van Der Hagen, that is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Luecke2326, I have already ordered a badger and a boar brush, so I will hopefully get them this week sometime. I couldn't find anything locally, so I had to go online. As far as soaps and aftershaves are concerned...that's where i feel my willpower is going to be tested. I already want to try out so much different stuff that it's not funny.

Right now I have a puck of Williams soap and a tube of Cremo Bourbon shave cream. I also ordered a puck of Tabac, as I had heard it's really good for the price (although the scent is somewhat polarizing). For aftershaves, I have Stetson, Aqua Velva Musk, and Skin Bracer. Quite honestly I really like all three and have been rotating them. :)

Top Bottom