What's new

One week into wet shaving, and my first post here.

Hello all,

New guy here. I am normally the guy with a beard of some sort, due to never being too enthusiastic about shaving. However, I stumbled across the wet shaving community on YouTube last weekend and binge watched several videos.

The enthusiasm became in infectious and I decried to shave off a 10 month beard. I went to Wal-Mart and all I could find was a Van Der Hagen razor with some blades included in the box. I picked that up and went on a mad hunt for a proper shaving brush. After searching high and low, I finally gave up and bought a women's makeup brush (my girlfriends idea) to use instead.

The only soap puck I could find was Williams at Hy-Vee for a buck and some change, so I rolled with that. I then went to a Dollar Tree and picked up a glass bowl with slight ridges on the sides, to lather in. I also picked up a glass container with a lid to hold my puck of Williams. For aftershave, I picked up Stetson Cooling Moisture to begin with.

I went home and had my first DE wet shave ever. I ended up cutting my top lip twice and a few nicks here and there. A couple of days later I picked up some Aqua Velva Musk aftershave and gave it another go. I fared better on my second shave, with no serious wounds, and only a couple nicks.

On Friday night I picked up some Skin Bracer aftershave, as well as some Cremo Bourbon shave cream that comes in a tube. I excitedly came home and shave just for the fun of testing my new cream. WOW! Now we're talkin'...the scent was MUCH better (IMO) than the puck of Williams, and I finally had my first injury free wet shave. :)

I don't know if I was just starting to get better at shaving this way, if my blade had "broken in" a bit, or if the soap was really making that much of a difference. Either way, I was quite pleased with the results. The Skin Bracer aftershave was very nice as well. The scent is nice, but the performance was most impressive to me. It was a nice burn with the initial blast, followed by a cooling effect for a while. It felt great, and really did work to eliminate redness and irritation on my skin. I must say that I am 100% satisfied with those two purchases.

I went from absolutely hating to shave to now doing it for fun. Talk about doing a 180! Heck. last night I did an experiment using Equate brand canned gel left over from my days of cartridge shaving, just to see what would happen. It was horrible, to say the least. LOL! I ended up with bad razor burn and bumps. However, the Skin Bracer sorted that out for me, I really like that stuff! No cuts or nicks though, so that was a win. I did notice, however, that the razor was beginning to really tug, so I think it's time for a new blade, which I will put in before tonight's shave.

I ended up getting 5 shaves from the included Van Der Hagen blade, so that seems ok, but I have no other point of reference to go by. Generally, I am planning on only shaving 3 times a week on average. I just shaved a couple extra times this week because I wanted to test products, and I was enjoying the process for the first time in my life.

Anyway, today literally marks exactly one week into my wet shaving journey. I am really enjoying the hobby, so I decided to join here after discovering the forum. If you read this novel, I appreciate it, and am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

You might consider Try A Blade. You can buy as many or as few of any blade you want to try.

You might also think about some Stirling soap samples. Stirling makes very good soaps. Their samples are large and last a long time. They're a great deal. If you like menthol, they have a pretty good selection. If you like a lot of menthol they have Glacial soaps too.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome aboard! Get a $10-20 boar brush, it'll work so much better than a make-up brush.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome aboard, @painted_klown ! Just wait until you pull back the curtain and discover the myriad of soaps, creams, aftershaves, razors and blades to play with! .... not to mention the rabbit hole of straights. :a14:

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome. :)

Regarding brushes, I broke down today and ordered two brushes online, as I cannot find any locally. I decided to get a boar brush and a badger brush, as I am not sure what I will like more. I ordered a Simpsons Berkeley 46 in Best Badger and a Semogue SOC Premium Boar with the Taj Resin handle. Boar brushes were surprisingly cheap, so I bought one that was labeled as "premium". Perhaps I fell for clever marketing and overpaid for no reason. Hopefully all of you can fill me in on the actual truth.

I am not certain if these are considered "good" brushes or not, but they weren't overly expensive, and I am hoping I can get many years of usage from each before needing to get something else. That way the essentially pay for themselves over time. I would liked to have bought a higher end badger, but they get very expensive quickly, and I'm working on a limited budget.

I also ordered up a 40 blade sampler pack (4 different brands), a refill puck of Tabac soap, and a Fine Accoutrements lathering bowl in red. I didn't really "need" the lathering bowl necessarily, but I have been bitten by the bug already. :001_unsur

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome. :)

Regarding brushes, I broke down today and ordered two brushes online, as I cannot find any locally. I decided to get a boar brush and a badger brush, as I am not sure what I will like more. I ordered a Simpsons Berkeley 46 in Best Badger and a Semogue SOC Premium Boar with the Taj Resin handle. Boar brushes were surprisingly cheap, so I bought one that was labeled as "premium". Perhaps I fell for clever marketing and overpaid for no reason. Hopefully all of you can fill me in on the actual truth.

I am not certain if these are considered "good" brushes or not, but they weren't overly expensive, and I am hoping I can get many years of usage from each before needing to get something else. That way the essentially pay for themselves over time. I would liked to have bought a higher end badger, but they get very expensive quickly, and I'm working on a limited budget.

I also ordered up a 40 blade sampler pack (4 different brands), a refill puck of Tabac soap, and a Fine Accoutrements lathering bowl in red. I didn't really "need" the lathering bowl necessarily, but I have been bitten by the bug already. :001_unsur

You can do much worse than Simpson and Semogue.

You have done VERY well with those two brushes; they are highly regarded.

You can do much worse than Simpson and Semogue.

Thank you for the confirmation gentlemen. I was a bit worried that I may have taken a wrong turn with these, as I didn't really know what I was looking for.

Like all new guys, I want to try several different soaps and aftershaves, but those add up very quickly as well. I'm guessing that my razor will probably need upgraded at some point. I am thinking I will try the Rockwell 6C next, but I didn't want to get it right away, as I was afraid that if I did so, then I would end up never using my Van Der Hagen and that would be $20 wasted. Plus, I didn't really have the budget for another razor at the moment, truth be told.

I thought the smartest financial move would be to buy a sample pack of blades, and rotate to a different one each week, to get a feel for all of them.

What is the reputation for the Van Der Hagen razors from Wal-Mart? I suppose it's a bit too late to ask now, since I bought it already, but I am just curious to know what the experts think. :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your journey so far. It will be interesting to see if the Acquisition Disorders kick in or will you be able to resist?

Yet another hearty welcome, painted_klown!

I started with the same VDH right after Christmas--my son gave it to me as a gift. I used it just over a month then found a Merkur 38C I liked and now use that every day. I cleaned up the VDH and once I have some more experience I'll return to it for fun, maybe use it as my travel razor.

I am relieved to see another newbie who got bit so early on and got a taste of an Acquisition Disorder. Odd thing about them is they're not really painful, just expensive :001_smile

You're in with a great DE community here, I assure you!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thank you for the confirmation gentlemen. I was a bit worried that I may have taken a wrong turn with these, as I didn't really know what I was looking for.

No wrong turn there. If anything you drove head on into two of the best and most respected brands, even if by accident lol. To be honest I didnt know Simpson made a 20mm badger but I've thus far resisted temptation! lol

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your journey so far. It will be interesting to see if the Acquisition Disorders kick in or will you be able to resist?
I'm hoping to stave off brush and razor acquisition disorders, but sadly I am already eyeballing way too many soaps and aftershaves. I keep telling myself that I can just try them down the line somewhere. LOL!

Yet another hearty welcome, painted_klown!

I started with the same VDH right after Christmas--my son gave it to me as a gift. I used it just over a month then found a Merkur 38C I liked and now use that every day. I cleaned up the VDH and once I have some more experience I'll return to it for fun, maybe use it as my travel razor.

I am relieved to see another newbie who got bit so early on and got a taste of an Acquisition Disorder. Odd thing about them is they're not really painful, just expensive :001_smile

You're in with a great DE community here, I assure you!
Very cool, nice to see another guy who got started on the VDH. I like the weight of the razor well enough, but I need to work on my technique more. I am also curious to see what new blades will bring to the table. :)

No wrong turn there. If anything you drove head on into two of the best and most respected brands, even if by accident lol. To be honest I didnt know Simpson made a 20mm badger but I've thus far resisted temptation! lol

Good to hear. I honestly know nothing about knot sizes and how they affect the brush performance and things like that. Embarrassingly, I just stumbled across these by sorting "price low to high" and bought what I could without going over budget.

I did watch some YouTube videos, but the guys with channels seemingly use different gear for every shave. I suppose they probably review a lot of stuff and want to keep things interesting, so a constant rotation of gear is somewhat of a necessity for them.

It's seemingly very difficult to pin down what to start with. Especially when it comes to blades. Nobody gives them too much thought/talk on YT, from what I have seen. The only blades that get regular mention is Feather, and that is because they are notably sharp.

I'm looking for something very smooth and not too aggressive to learn with. I'm hoping my incoming sample pack will have something that works well for me in my Van Der Hagen. :)

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B. Good choices on the brushes; they will last many years. The boar will take ~ 30 shaves to break in.

Congratulations on your week of shaving. This is a great pastime & I'm glad you've discovered it. Welcome to B & B!

Hello all,

New guy here. I am normally the guy with a beard of some sort, due to never being too enthusiastic about shaving. However, I stumbled across the wet shaving community on YouTube last weekend and binge watched several videos.

The enthusiasm became in infectious and I decried to shave off a 10 month beard. I went to Wal-Mart and all I could find was a Van Der Hagen razor with some blades included in the box. I picked that up and went on a mad hunt for a proper shaving brush. After searching high and low, I finally gave up and bought a women's makeup brush (my girlfriends idea) to use instead.

The only soap puck I could find was Williams at Hy-Vee for a buck and some change, so I rolled with that. I then went to a Dollar Tree and picked up a glass bowl with slight ridges on the sides, to lather in. I also picked up a glass container with a lid to hold my puck of Williams. For aftershave, I picked up Stetson Cooling Moisture to begin with.

I went home and had my first DE wet shave ever. I ended up cutting my top lip twice and a few nicks here and there. A couple of days later I picked up some Aqua Velva Musk aftershave and gave it another go. I fared better on my second shave, with no serious wounds, and only a couple nicks.

On Friday night I picked up some Skin Bracer aftershave, as well as some Cremo Bourbon shave cream that comes in a tube. I excitedly came home and shave just for the fun of testing my new cream. WOW! Now we're talkin'...the scent was MUCH better (IMO) than the puck of Williams, and I finally had my first injury free wet shave. :)

I don't know if I was just starting to get better at shaving this way, if my blade had "broken in" a bit, or if the soap was really making that much of a difference. Either way, I was quite pleased with the results. The Skin Bracer aftershave was very nice as well. The scent is nice, but the performance was most impressive to me. It was a nice burn with the initial blast, followed by a cooling effect for a while. It felt great, and really did work to eliminate redness and irritation on my skin. I must say that I am 100% satisfied with those two purchases.

I went from absolutely hating to shave to now doing it for fun. Talk about doing a 180! Heck. last night I did an experiment using Equate brand canned gel left over from my days of cartridge shaving, just to see what would happen. It was horrible, to say the least. LOL! I ended up with bad razor burn and bumps. However, the Skin Bracer sorted that out for me, I really like that stuff! No cuts or nicks though, so that was a win. I did notice, however, that the razor was beginning to really tug, so I think it's time for a new blade, which I will put in before tonight's shave.

I ended up getting 5 shaves from the included Van Der Hagen blade, so that seems ok, but I have no other point of reference to go by. Generally, I am planning on only shaving 3 times a week on average. I just shaved a couple extra times this week because I wanted to test products, and I was enjoying the process for the first time in my life.

Anyway, today literally marks exactly one week into my wet shaving journey. I am really enjoying the hobby, so I decided to join here after discovering the forum. If you read this novel, I appreciate it, and am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Welcome painted_klown,

That's a huge transformation!

The guys here are great and will gladly dispense advice and occasionally freebies lol.

You're going to have fun here!

Top Bottom