What's new

One wallet that will last forever!

Hey gang,

It seems that I end up needing to buy a new wallet every 2-3 years. (Full disclosure, I am rough on the thing) As an avid outdoors person, I always had the cordura type wallets when I was younger but needed a something a little more adult as I grew older. I always bought real leather based wallet (Guess, Roots, etc) but they don't last.

Wanting stuff to last forever is what brought me to DE shaving and ultimately here. I even decided to make my own dinner table because I knew it would last longer than anything that is bought in stores, lol.

Any advice or recommendations on wallets that are known to go forever?

Marc

I am actually looking for a passport travel wallet. Something that holds a passport, paper currency, credit cards. It has to fit in a front pocket.

I am interested in Saddleback, although they are mexican made and chrome tanned.
Also Bellroy, made by Indians, and vegetable tanned.

Any other options for something that will outlast me?

Maybe the OP and I have a converging interest here....

I am actually looking for a passport travel wallet. Something that holds a passport, paper currency, credit cards. It has to fit in a front pocket.
Also Bellroy, made by Indians, and vegetable tanned.

The Bellroy travel wallet should fit in your front pocket (I just tried mine, fits in my front pocket no problem) and holds your passport, paper money, credit cards, etc...

Disclaimer: I am a Bellroy retailer in Canada

Other small leather workers that make a travel wallet include Billykirk, Tanner Goods, and Corter leather. Different designs, so, perhaps, one of those will fit the bill.

I can vouch for Saddleback. I find that it scuffs fairly easily, but it's constructed very solidly, and I don't see it falling apart any time soon.

I can vouch for Saddleback. I find that it scuffs fairly easily, but it's constructed very solidly, and I don't see it falling apart any time soon.

I got one in Tobacco and I too find that it shows scuffs. I like it though, I think it adds character. I've had mine about a year and it is already developing a nice patina. I expect it to outlast me.

Check out Alchemy Goods products all their stuff is made out off recycled rubber bike tubes they have a couple wallet styles that would fit the bill. Their quality is great I have their Elliot Dopp kit, very nice. Oh I think amazon carry their wallets.

I'm liking the Tanner Goods Travel wallet.

Leather tanned in chicago, made in oregon, only thing is that it does not have a full size paper currency pocket... hmmm

I like the Alchemy Goods stuff on principal, but their passport holder is nothing but a passport holder... not a passport wallet. But this thread has been very helpful... Lots of great makers out there about which I had no idea!

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Think stingray leather. I had a stingray wallet that I used for years. That stuff is damn near bullet proof. I only retired it because I went to a front pocket wallet. The thing was still fine when I put it away.

+1 for Saddleback. My Medium Coffee Brown Bifold that is more than a year old, still hasn't really even started to break in. A few scuffs here and there but that's about it.

The problem that I have heard of with Saddleback is the leather they use in insanely thick. Also, with only 4 card slots, it doesn't seem like you can hold very much. You can probally put a lot of cards in each of the 4 slots, but if you are like me then you don't like to dig for your stuff.

Legion

Staff member
The problem that I have heard of with Saddleback is the leather they use in insanely thick. Also, with only 4 card slots, it doesn't seem like you can hold very much. You can probally put a lot of cards in each of the 4 slots, but if you are like me then you don't like to dig for your stuff.

Yes. Like most saddleback stuff, they are well made and durable, but just too thick and heavy to be practical, IMO.

Top Bottom