What's new

One thing I’ve learned about chasing BBS

I do chase BBS, most every shave. The irritation drives me to better technique, until I get past the irritation.

I get you brother, but my face will definitely feel smoother when I let it rest. Which drove me to write this. Like I said the quills you’re chasing will lay down when you leave the sink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get really great shaves with just about anything I use, but with straights, that smooth feeling just seems to last longer, and some really tough areas are easily taken care of without the need of a third pass.
That's because (going by your picture) you don't shave the difficult areas.:)

I always get BBS shaves with a DE with no irritation. I can't do that with a straight over all parts of my face (with or without irritation). I can get the checks of course. I can get the neck but I may be some irritation. I can rarely get BBS over all parts of the chin and just under the nose.

I can't live with that so I then use a DE. I'd like to not have to do that but that's life. I do agree with the advice to not keep doing whatever gives one irritation. With good technique I can do as many passes as I want with a DE and not have any irritation.

Good technique with a straight doesn't quite do that for me just due to the longer blades and the less than square parts of my face/chin.

Once you have your technique down, there is only one thing that will ensure you get a BBS without irritation each time you shave. Skip a day or two or three. Then you can get a BBS each and every shave. Works for me.

Once you have your technique down, there is only one thing that will ensure you get a BBS without irritation each time you shave. Skip a day or two or three. Then you can get a BBS each and every shave. Works for me.
To me, if you are getting irritation you don't have technique down so I don't get the advice to wait 3 days. I do know what you mean however. I mainly use a DE and just use a straight about once a week for fun but using a long blade with a pointy chin just doesn't get BBS for me unless I try "too" hard.

Some people have a chin that is more square than others. Some who have no problems also have a mustache and goatee. If I had the latter I'd be getting BBS with a straight as well:)

To me, if you are getting irritation you don't have technique down so I don't get the advice to wait 3 days. I do know what you mean however. I mainly use a DE and just use a straight about once a week for fun but using a long blade with a pointy chin just doesn't get BBS for me unless I try "too" hard.

Some people have a chin that is more square than others. Some who have no problems also have a mustache and goatee. If I had the latter I'd be getting BBS with a straight as well:)

I can get a BBS every day. But I'll get irritation. It's not my technique. It's my sensitive skin. I've been shaving with a double edge for almost 5 years now.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Once you have your technique down, there is only one thing that will ensure you get a BBS without irritation each time you shave. Skip a day or two or three.

I most definitely don’t have my technique down and this practice works for me.

Don’t know if it’s the skin healing more before next bout of bladed foolishness or longer whiskers absorbing more water than the skin, but my last shave (after waiting more than two days) was so good it almost looked like I knew what I was doing.

When I started DE, BBS was easily done, and because it was a new experience, at first I chased it each time. Then I calmed down about it and went for bbs only rarely.

Then when I started SR BBW was very hard to do, and funnily enough that motivated me to chase it down. It took a while to be able to do bbs with a straight. Then eventually I calmed down about that too, and now chase the bbs only rarely.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have a fast growing, coarse beard and sensitive skin. I need to get a close shave to avoid having to shave more than once a day. However, if I chase BBS, I will get irritation. My goal is for a near-BBS shave with zero irritation. Typically, I will get BBS on my cheeks and neck. However, my jawline and chin are more difficult to shave. I get them close, but not BBS. With the right hardware, software, and technique, I can shave without irritation, in spite my sensitive skin. However, it too me several years to get there.

+1....My skin is not that sensitive but, other than that, this is how I approach things.

My beard is all gray with hair like barbed wire. Very chaotic and grows in a lot of different directions and swirls (sometimes in the same area ;)).

Problem areas are the 'goatee' (nose, upper lip, around the mouth, lower lip, chin) areas, jawline and some 'swirl' areas of the neck.

A small razor head helps to facilitate a very nice and consistent DFS without nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Two ways for me to accomplish this:

1. Use a razor with a small head like the Blackland Vector or a nice vintage Schick.

2. Use a nice vintage Schick for the Touch-up Pass.

After lots of experimentation, this works really well for me.

My opinion and YMMV. :)

Top Bottom