What's new

One SR to rule them all? A beginner's dive into the deep end.

Greetings and salutations B&B members! As you can see from my join date and post count, I am a new member on the forums. Aside from that, I am also a relatively new wet shaver. In fact, today is the start of my 7th full week of using a DE safety razor!

Now, having come of age in the mid-1990s, I had always been a disposable cartridge guy. I initially cut my teeth (among other things) with those multi-pack single use disposables, then progressed to the Mach 3 (quite the substantial upgrade actually) and finally on to the Fusion/ProGlide razors which remained my status quo for quite a while. Eventually (by the time I was 39), things came to a head when I was once again confronted with buying an expensive pack of cartridge refills. That, combined with my folding knife acquisition disorder, lead me to look into the world of DE safety razors... and so it began.

After researching for the better part of a week, I finally hopped on Amazon and ordered up a Merkur 34C and some Feather blades. My first shave with that kit went well enough, I must admit. I ended up using the Merkur blade that came with my SR, along with my on-hand go to shaving cream (Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shaving Cream). 2 passes, 1 weeper, and some minor irritation on my neck later and I had a decent/relatively drama free shave! Great success! My next shave was pretty much identical, so I decided it was time to use the Feathers. This also went well until I decided to do a 3 pass on my 2nd Feather shave (4th DE shave ever) with the 3rd pass being against the grain.

This was a mistake.

After letting my face heal (and removing an inordinate amount of ingrown hair), I went back to my 2 pass technique (with the second being across the grain) and got more than acceptable results. Fast forward about a week and I decided this was going to be a thing for me, so I went all in.

After about 2 cumulative weeks worth of wet shaves, I went on an online shopping spree. I ended up ordering a Semogue SOC brush (tri-band badger hair), DR Harris Windsor shaving soap/bowl, Lucky Tiger aftershave, Osma alum block, lather bowl, 100 blade sampler pack, and a Timeless Razor Ti95 with the scalloped bar and smooth head... with that last bit of kit taking me much longer to mull over as I wanted to "buy once, cry once".

Now, after using this setup for about a month, I am quite comfortable with my razor/brush/soap combination. The angle I hold the razor at, the amount of pressure I use, getting a proper lather, and adequately applying said lather to my face are all becoming second nature. I honestly feel that, at the moment, my main challenge is finding the right blade. I've only managed to work through about half the brands in my sampler pack, and out of those I feel that the Crystals, Dorco Titans, Astra Platinums and (oddly) Derby Extras have given me the best shaves so far... however I am very well aware that this can and will change as I further refine my technique and try new soaps, etc.

All that being said, have I already found the "one razor to rule them all"? Could it be that I've stumbled upon the Holy Grail this early in my quest?...Or is this just a grail shaped beacon that's leading me astray from fully realizing my SR acquisition disorder? I suppose only time will tell about the Timeless, but I can honestly say that I currently have no desire to pick up a different razor. Brushes, soaps, DE blades, aftershaves, and lotions/balms on the other hand, are a different story altogether! Im sure my wife and my bank account will love that.

In any regard, thanks for sticking around if you made it this far through my pointless and rambling post. Cheers!

-Joe

Last edited:
Greetings and salutations B&B members! As you can see from my join date and post count, I am a new member on the forums. Aside from that, I am also a relatively new wet shaver. In fact, today is the start of my 7th full week of using a DE safety razor!

Now, having come of age in the mid-1990s, I had always been a disposable cartridge guy. I initially cut my teeth (among other things) with those multi-pack single use disposables, then progressed to the Mach 3 (quite the substantial upgrade actually) and finally on to the Fusion/ProGlide razors which remained my status quo for quite a while. Eventually (by the time I was 39), things came to a head when I was once again confronted with buying an expensive pack of cartridge refills. That, combined with my folding knife acquisition disorder, lead me to look into the world of DE safety razors... and so it began.

After researching for the better part of a week, I finally hopped on Amazon and ordered up a Merkur 34C and some Feather blades. My first shave with that kit went well enough, I must admit. I ended up using the Merkur blade that came with my SR, along with my on-hand go to shaving cream (Kiehl's Ultimate Brushless Shaving Cream). 2 passes, 1 weeper, and some minor irritation on my neck later and I had a decent/relatively drama free shave! Great success! My next shave was pretty much identical, so I decided it was time to use the Feathers. This also went well until I decided to do a 3 pass on my 2nd Feather shave (4th DE shave ever) with the 3rd pass being against the grain.

This was a mistake.

After letting my face heal (and removing an inordinate amount of ingrown hair), I went back to my 2 pass technique (with the second being across the grain) and got more than acceptable results. Fast forward about a week and I decided this was going to be a thing for me, so I went all in.

After about 2 cumulative weeks worth of wet shaves, I went on an online shopping spree. I ended up ordering a Semogue SOC brush (tri-band badger hair), DR Harris Windsor shaving soap/bowl, Lucky Tiger aftershave, Osma alum block, lather bowl, 100 blade sampler pack, and a Timeless Razor Ti95 with the scalloped bar and smooth head... with that last bit of kit taking me much longer to mull over as I wanted to "buy once, cry once".

Now, after using this setup for about a month, I am quite comfortable with my razor/brush/soap combination. The angle I hold the razor at, the amount of pressure I use, getting a proper lather, and adequately applying said lather to my face are all becoming second nature. I honestly feel that, at the moment, my main challenge is finding the right blade. I've only managed to work through about half the brands in my sampler pack, and out of those I feel that the Crystals, Dorco Titans, Astra Platinums and (oddly) Derby Extras have given me the best shaves so far... however I am very well aware that this can and will change as I further refine my technique and try new soaps, etc.

All that being said, have I already found the "one razor to rule them all"? Could it be that I've stumbled upon the Holy Grail this early in my quest?...Or is this just a grail shaped beacon that's leading me astray from fully realizing my SR acquisition disorder? I suppose only time will tell about the Timeless, but I can honestly say that I currently have no desire to pick up a different razor. Brushes, soaps, DE blades, aftershaves, and lotions/balms on the other hand, are a different story altogether! Im sure my wife and my bank account will love that.

In any regard, thanks for sticking around if you made it this far through my pointless and rambling post. Cheers!

-Joe
SR generally refers to Straight Razor or Shavettes in these forums. DE for double edge razor, and SE for replaceable blade single edge razors.

A lot of people just enjoy trying the different razors. Many get outstanding shave with most of them.

I'll just say congratulations and welcome. If you are getting the kind of shaves you want and having fun, good for you. :a14:

Welcome aboard!!

Thanks for sharing your experience. :a14::a14:

Traditional wet shaving is all about enjoying the journey IMO!! And you are well on your way!!

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I've had several razors, each one that I thought beat all the others. Now I just have several favorite razors.

Just stick with the one razor and learn to use it, you’ll never need anything else, it’s the Devils work that makes people buy all that crap.

What a great story and welcome! Sounds like you have acquired some great gear. Take your time and enjoy the process of trying some different blades. The Russian Gillette blades are definitely worth exploring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can resist RAD so early into this, you have my respect. After every razor I've bought, only two or three are considered unsuitable.

The ball end Gillette Old Type. Honestly, this may actually be one of those Satanically cursed antiques sold by Lewis Vendredi in the 1980s tv show Friday the 13th. Every shave with it is a reenactment of the St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

The Cadet Open Comb. The best thing I can say about this one is that the handle is compatible with most 3-piece heads by other manufacturers.

And I have one of those Russian copies of the Slim. Somewhere. Haven't seen it, don't know where it is...and I am in no hurry to find it. No wonder so many Russians defected to the West.

Welcome to the forum! Enjoyed reading your post. Personally, i agree with gsurko that RAD is the devil’s work. I have 3 razors, 1 of which was gifted to me, and in my opinion that’s about 1 more than you’ll ever need. I think the way you did it (buy a high end as your second and last razor) is a great way to do it. Now you can use your 34c for travel and the timeless for everyday. No need to look around elsewhere in my opinion. I think brushes are pretty much the same. Maybe one high end of each type (boar, badger, synthetic and horse.) Though a word of caution on brushes: figure out whether you like a brush with backbone or not and buy accordingly. It’s really the #1 factor in a brush. Some synthetics are so unyielding as to be almost unusable. Regarding the rest of the stuff, i think it’s fun to try new products (soaps, aftershaves, etc.) Blades, in my opinion, is where you’ll have the most difficulty finding “the best.” I’d recommend continuing to work through your sampler and try some of the well regarded blades from here as well. I’m a big Personna fan and can recommend the lab blues and Viking’s Sword as two of my favories. Polsilvers are also very good. Voshkod’s if you like a milder blade. There really a ton of blades to try. If you run through 30-40 of the “well known” brands you should come out with one or two winners. Buy those in bulk and you’ll be set! Good luck on the search!

I’m beginning to think similarly to you I currently don’t even know where my full assortment of razors is (just moved) all I have used for the past 3 or so years is my R41 Im considering getting a stainless and then PIFing or selling what’s left and just have the travel R41 on the whatever at home

Top Bottom