What's new

One soap for rest of the year

I used Stirling almost exclusively for about four years, and then last year like you I wanted to check out some of the more expensive ones. I guess there are 6 or 7 makers that always come up in lists of the best, and most of them have been mentioned here. I went with B&M, DG, and A&E. Are all of them a step up from Stirling? Yes. Is Stirling still great and worth using? Yes. Do I think these three are better than the other top-tier soaps I haven't even tried? That would be ridiculous. Would I rank these three best to worst base? No, I think each has slightly different properties but it is really splitting hairs which is best--what will make you reach for one more than another at this point is just how much you like the scent.

So the advice above to get samples from Maggard's is probably the best, because what are you going to do if you pick one scent and you dislike it. If you really don't want to get samples, though, the safest blind buy is probably B&M Seville. Pretty much everyone likes it, and it's not super strong like some of these artisan scents. It's also the cheapest in their line, or at least used to be. That's my two cents, though of course I defer to people who have used everything that's out there.
I just had a look at Seville, and surprisingly it only cost $2 more than Stirling!
You mentioned the scent will be the deciding factor if I prefer one over another, so will the "light" scent of Seville affect how much I like it more?

I just had a look at Seville, and surprisingly it only cost $2 more than Stirling!
You mentioned the scent will be the deciding factor if I prefer one over another, so will the "light" scent of Seville affect how much I like it more?
I just meant that some soaps have a very strong scent (including some other B&M soaps like Lavanille, and including some Stirling soaps, like Sharp Dressed Man in the jar), and this is a turn off for some people. Seville has a moderate scent strength compared to that, but I don't mean to say it's super light or faint.

Murphy and McNeil, the one with tree on it. Nice clean scent and a little goes a very long way with their soap.

Eufros or Nuàvia or Jabones Jose (buying direct from them should keep you under your budget). Nuavia can find on discount here and there.

So the advice above to get samples from Maggard's is probably the best, because what are you going to do if you pick one scent and you dislike it.
Exactly what I did with Maggard's. Some A&A samples plus 2 Stirlings. It's gonna be a long wait. Thanks!

I have to jump in the conversation here. I've tried many, & still use some, such as DG & MdC (which is actually a good value). But the number one soap in my den the past several months is a new artisan, Ethos Grooming. I have the Lavender & it is exceptional. They have other scents & I've got a tub of the Melange di Argrumes on order. Latherability, slickness, residual slickness, & post-shave feel are all the best I've used. And the scent is fresh, not chemical or overdone. Just my .02 worth.

I have to jump in the conversation here. I've tried many, & still use some, such as DG & MdC (which is actually a good value). But the number one soap in my den the past several months is a new artisan, Ethos Grooming. I have the Lavender & it is exceptional. They have other scents & I've got a tub of the Melange di Argrumes on order. Latherability, slickness, residual slickness, & post-shave feel are all the best I've used. And the scent is fresh, not chemical or overdone. Just my .02 worth.
Hi @dmshaver, do you get the Ethos directly from their site or through the shave vendors? I tried to search for Ethos Grooming and it's a totally different site...it's a barbershop....hahahaha!!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
If I could only use one soap, it would likely be Martin de Candre. I believe there are many soaps just as good, but the slickness, protection, and ease of lather would keep me satisfied all year round. I also find it very “neutral” in the post shave so I wouldn’t feel too dry in winter or oily in summer.

Top Bottom