What's new

One Soap for Life

Mitchell's Wool Fat

1) Nice, relatively weak "soapy" scent that you can use every day
2) Very slick and can hold a lot of water when properly lathered
3) Quick and easy to lather for me
4) Mild moisturizing effect that is nice in dry and cold winter days, but isn't excessive during summer
5) Relatively low cost per shave
6) Always available
7) It is the first soap I ever bought and it has a special place in my heart

After 3017'ing puck, this would be my choice. The scent wouldn't get annoying and the post shave feel is very good. The ceramic container is a plus as well.

S

Scrubby

Maybe my favorite soap is not as fancy as some of the other preferences here: De vergulde hand (Proraso red coming in as a close second). I have been using it for many years now, it always gives me decent shaves for a good price. As my new Chubby 2 burns though soaps a lot faster then my 20+ years old "el cheapo" omega boar did, i'm glad that I do not have developed a preference for MdC and similar high-end soaps yet.....

B&M Beaudelaire. That excelsior soap base is the top of the heap for me.

That is great to hear!
Part of my intent in initiating this thread was to aid in my next soap purchase decision. I currently only use one soap - DRH Marlborough (hard puck in wooden bowel). It's good, and a keeper for tradition's sake, but perhaps not great compared to some of the current artisan formulas out there. Have been conducing considerable on-line research, but it's great to hear fellow shavers' choices.

I am currently poised to purchase one of Barrister & Mann's Excelsior base soaps (along with a 2nd brush), as I keep hearing the B&M Excelsior is top tier in all respects.

To this point my favorite soap has been Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti because of slickness, scent, and post shave feel (my skin feels moist!).

I've recently been using Haslinger Schafmilch, and I must say that it may give SV Dolomiti a run for its money. YMMV. :)

Stirling Orange Chill.

Great scent and performance with that sweet menthol. Also, a great value around $13 for 5.8oz.

I would be happy with Tabac until the end. Performance and scent both work for me and it's still available.

Love these threads when members ask what's your favorite or just pick one and then guys answer with three or four brands -- simply kills me! :001_rolle

I like lots of soaps. But if I can only use one, it needs to perform. So Tabac for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me? Hasslinger schafmilch. I can get a great lather and comfortable, close shave .. And its readily available. I use many great soaps that i enjoy but this would be my lifetime choice if forced to pick one FWIW... For body soap its PdP milk soap. Great stuff.

One soap, one razor, one brush.....for life. Easy for me:

TOBS Jermyn St Shave Soap
Ever Ready Streamline (2nd gen) with PTFE blade
Yaqi Mocha Express 24mm

image0.jpeg

I am on my first MDC, it is rose scent. I would be happy to use this forever....but....in reality we (well I do) get bored and like a wee change now and again, but for now it is mdc.

Let's dig this thread back up. I was inspired to do a search after seeing a "one razor, one blade" thread and found this soap thread.

I have to go with MdC. It costs a bit more than most soaps but, IMO, the performance is fantastic (using very little product) and I love the scents.

For a more affordable choice, I'd pick Stirling Barbershop. Great performer, great smell.

Top Bottom