What's new

one side of the blade longer

I find that in my merkur 33c, one side of the blade protrudes out slightly farther than the other side. Is this just my razor? Or is this a trait of many safety razors?

I have also noticed that the long side seems to be more aggressive.:001_huh:

I notice this on my 34C as well with Derbys... On my 40s SS the exposed edge is perfectly even on both sides... The Shark SCs seem to fit better (more evenly) on my Merkur 34C... I think it should be even IMHO... not sure if I want to address this on my HD with Merkur yet or not...

So you think it may actually be the blade that is uneven, not the way the actual razor holds the blade? I just assumed the blades would be perfectly symetrical but I will have look closer. Not that I am really complaining. I like having a more aggressive side of the razor.

Blade exposure should be equal on both sides. It should also be equal along its length too. My 34C had the latter error to it. Merkur quality control again?

David

So you think it may actually be the blade that is uneven, not the way the actual razor holds the blade? I just assumed the blades would be perfectly symetrical but I will have look closer. Not that I am really complaining. I like having a more aggressive side of the razor.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I've got some other blades coming my way - so I'm waiting to see what they look like once they are in the razor... right now, since the Derbys fit differently from the Shark SCs, I'm assuming the difference is with the blades, not the razor itself...

Blade exposure should be equal on both sides. It should also be equal along its length too. My 34C had the latter error to it. Merkur quality control again?

David

I'll take a picture of what mine looks like tonight and add it here. By the way, would that be considered thread hi-jacking?

I'll take a picture of what mine looks like tonight and add it here. By the way, would that be considered thread hi-jacking?

Be my guest.:001_cool:

I may also try to get a picture of mine, may take me a few days to figure out how to do that though.

Also to any of you B&B veterans, is there already a thread on this subject?

I have also noticed this on my 11C. My Astra's seem fine in it, but I ran into a batch of Gillette Russian Green 7 O'Clocks that seemed to give me trouble. I could instantly tell which side was which based on the aggressiveness against my face. Funny, because in my sample pack they were awesome, and I went ahead and ordered 100 of them. Once I started burning through the 100 pack, I didn't like them at all. One side of the 11C was always more aggressive than the other, no matter what I did.

I always chalked it up to user error, but now reading that others have the same problem I'm not so sure now.

Last edited:
Sadly this is rather typical for Merkur as all mine have this to a certain level. It might help to turn the top-part 180 degrees but if that doesn't help (enough) you should contact your vendor. Chances are that a replacement will be better. Chances are that it won't.

I was going to create a post on this today until I seen this. I got a batch of Russian Green 7 o'clock Gillette's that seem to have an awful amount of play in all my razors. When I put one in my tech there was some significant blade overhang from one side to the next when fully tightened. In my Schick Krona it was slightly better but really sloppy, almost like the holes were punched larger than they should be. I had a similar experience with Astra SP.

Other blades from gillette made at different manufacturers (ie India) seem to fit better when the razors are fully closed in my opinion. Could be all in my head but there does seem to be a difference in tolerance.

I was going to create a post on this today until I seen this. I got a batch of Russian Green 7 o'clock Gillette's that seem to have an awful amount of play in all my razors. When I put one in my tech there was some significant blade overhang from one side to the next when fully tightened. In my Schick Krona it was slightly better but really sloppy, almost like the holes were punched larger than they should be. I had a similar experience with Astra SP.

Other blades from gillette made at different manufacturers (ie India) seem to fit better when the razors are fully closed in my opinion. Could be all in my head but there does seem to be a difference in tolerance.

The ONLY time I saw any variation in how the 20 or so different blades I have tried fit my razors was.......some counterfeit Lords. The shave was terrible! Not saying your blades are counterfeits but, they should all fit the same.

The ONLY time I saw any variation in how the 20 or so different blades I have tried fit my razors was.......some counterfeit Lords. The shave was terrible! Not saying your blades are counterfeits but, they should all fit the same.

Well I'm having a terrible time with the Derbys - so maybe there's something else going on...

Is counterfeiting a problem with any particular blade types? I'll post a photo tonight (hopefully) to show what I mean and compare Shark SC vs. Derby in the HD (and in my SS).

To the OP: I think this is all related to your original thread - but let me know if you'd rather I started my own thread.

I really hope that's not the case as I got them from a fairly popular vendor! maybe it was a bad batch? At first I thought maybe it was the ever-so-popular glue blobs from hell causing a bind but even removed they just didn't fit right. overall just sloppy lol.

Well I'm having a terrible time with the Derbys - so maybe there's something else going on...

Is counterfeiting a problem with any particular blade types? I'll post a photo tonight (hopefully) to show what I mean and compare Shark SC vs. Derby in the HD (and in my SS).

To the OP: I think this is all related to your original thread - but let me know if you'd rather I started my own thread.

To njmodi: Please go ahead and post a picture if you are able. I would really like to see if the blade exposure is the same as mine. And if it is, does anyone think it might be intentional on merkur's part? Perhaps to provide a more aggressive and less aggressive side of the razor? Since several people have noticed this in other razors and all.

After inspection of razor blades, I have come to the conclusion that the uneveness in my razor is entirely due to the merkur razor itself, not the blades. It seems to occur regardless of the blade or brand of blade.

This really has not caused me any problems at all, both sides shave well to me, just not entirely the same on both sides.

I took pics last night - but ended up getting tied up with other things. I'll upload them tonight. It's very obvious on my Merkur HD that the Derby's are uneven...

Definitely a Merkur issue. I've only bought two Merkurs since I've been wet shaving, and both had issues. If you want quality I suggest getting your hands on an Edwin Jagger DE86, 87, 89L or a Muhle R89.

David

+1 on this. It's been this way with Merkur Quality control for quite awhile. I still like my HD though and the Lord Super Chromes seem to fit better when it comes to evening out the blade exposure.

Clayton

In my Slant, if I just drop the blade in and tighten it down, it will be uneven like described here, or just slightly crooked which would be a BAD shave.

While I'm twisting the end of the razor, I need to hold the ends of the blade where I want it and usually squeeze it to make it bow upwards slightly, to get it in perfectly even on both side and straight. Works every time.

Top Bottom