What's new

one side of the blade longer

Definitely a Merkur issue. I've only bought two Merkurs since I've been wet shaving, and both had issues. If you want quality I suggest getting your hands on an Edwin Jagger DE86, 87, 89L or a Muhle R89.

I just got my EJ DE89L in the mail yesterday. It's definately got smoother lines than my HD. Its like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. I'm going to take it on a test drive this morning.

Clayton

I took pics last night - but ended up getting tied up with other things. I'll upload them tonight. It's very obvious on my Merkur HD that the Derby's are uneven...

Great I would take pictures myself, but that would require me taking my wife's digital camera to take pictures of my razor to post on the internet and thats not something I want to explain right now. She probably thinks I'm getting a little too obsessed with shaving as it is.:lol:

Great I would take pictures myself, but that would require me taking my wife's digital camera to take pictures of my razor to post on the internet and thats not something I want to explain right now. She probably thinks I'm getting a little too obsessed with shaving as it is.:lol:

That's what I did last night... and yes, she's beginning to worry about this new "hobby" of mine.

In my Slant, if I just drop the blade in and tighten it down, it will be uneven like described here, or just slightly crooked which would be a BAD shave.

While I'm twisting the end of the razor, I need to hold the ends of the blade where I want it and usually squeeze it to make it bow upwards slightly, to get it in perfectly even on both side and straight. Works every time.

I will have to try holding the blade in place as I tighten. I have just been screwing it down without trying to make it seat evenly. Maybe I should have been doing that all along.:001_unsur

Ok I got the pics :).

As you can see, there is a definite difference in how the Derby fits in the Merkur HD vs the perfect even fit in the 40s SS.

Also you can see how the Shark SC fits more evenly in the Merkur HD.

Here are some pics:

Pic 1: Merkur HD with Derby
proxy.php

Pic 2: Merkur HD with Derby
proxy.php

Pic 3: 40s SS with Derby
proxy.php

Pic 4: Merkur HD with Shark SC
proxy.php

Last edited:
So no one has any thoughts on the variation the photos show?

bulldognation - is this similar to what you're seeing?

So no one has any thoughts on the variation the photos show?

bulldognation - is this similar to what you're seeing?

yes it is very similar. I belive my situation may actually be more pronounced than that. Maybe I am overanalyzing, or seeing things that aren't really there but my blade actually seems to be slanted slightly on one side as well. It is hard to explain but what I mean is that one corner of the blade actually pokes out more. I will try to take pictures and post as soon as I get the opportunity.

Bulldognation: No rush on the pics...

I'm going to contact the vendor and see if they offer up a replacement... let's see how this goes. I'm still amazed at how perfectly the blades line up in the 40s SS.

I tried to repostion the blade by holding it in place as I tighten down on the razor. Does not seem to make any difference. I cannot alter the way the blade seats in any way at all. Thats just apparently the way this merkur is made and it holds the blade like that no matter what.

Oh well, I still won't send it back. It's a great razor for me and I am getting the best shaves I have ever had with it (of course I'm a newbie who hasn't tried any other de saftey razors). :thumbup1:

I am going to exchange my HD for another one - let's see what happens... I have to mail my current one back first though... so I'm torn about that.

None of my 5 Merkurs (2 Futur, 2 Progress, 1 HD) have had this problem, but I had a Stahly Live blade that did. I could barely see the difference, but the two sides shaved very differently.

As others have said I would take this up with your vendor, or Merkur.

Yep - I'm in midst of getting an exchange sorted out... hopefully the next razor will hold the blade more evenly...

I have noticed that slight variation on several of my antique razors. However, I have found that I can center the blade if I hold it centered as I tighten the handle the very last bit. I now take a close look to make sure the blade is centered.

I bought my first Edwin Jagger when the the heads were still being sourced from Merkur and noticed the uneven edges right away. I was able to even the exposure out myself by manipulating the blade position manually and then taking extra care in putting the bottom plate in place. It shouldn't have been that way to begin with though. When Muhle and EJ changed to a head of their own design I picked up my second Jagger and switched the heads. Shaving perfection. I still use the old head sometimes since it is now my travel DE razor, but I still remember to check the exposure.

I have a Merkur 34c and use Astra SP's. I noticed this difference also. Just before I tighten the heaed to the razor I adjust the blade from the ends of the blade to provide equal exposure on both sides. This has made all the difference in shaving.

Top Bottom