What's new

One Razor?

Who here in this forum uses only one razor or one razor for most of their shaves? Who here might have a large collection but still mainly uses one? I have a modest DE collection but mainly use one razor, my favorite Tech. I try to be a minimalist to some extent. How about you? What are your thoughts on it?
I've tried to keep the collection within 10 razors, but it's a bear.
I use the Razorock Game Changer-68 Open Comb more often than not though.

Who here in this forum uses only one razor or one razor for most of their shaves? Who here might have a large collection but still mainly uses one? I have a modest DE collection but mainly use one razor, my favorite Tech. I try to be a minimalist to some extent. How about you? What are your thoughts on it?
I have a large collection (more than 100), but mainly use the Tatara Masamune OC.

Hope that never happens because what if Merkur was to discontinue the 39c like they did with the Vision? It would break my heart!

Jason.
You never know; you might end up liking another razor better. I didn't realize how much I would like the OC Fatip Piccolo until I tried it. It's easily become my favorite razor. (I also have an OC Fatip Grande I need to try out. I may like it even more than the Piccolo, but I won't know for sure until I test it.) That said, had I not bought the razor due to a (likely irrational) fear that my previous razors would succumb to Zamak rot, I never would've known how much more I enjoy shaving with the OC Fatip Piccolo than the razors I had loved before.

I guess when it comes to razors, I'm like Romeo. I went from Rosaline to Juliet without a second thought! 😁

Gillette Brazilian Goodwill

62EB7379-6E50-40DB-92DF-25E1E6D6BC1D.jpeg

In over 30 years of DE razor use I have accumulated over 40 razors. All but three of them were purchased used years ago. I keep an old razor at my cabin but the only razor I use at home or travel with for many years is a Merkur 37c. Keep a new one in package just in case.

I do. Ming Shi 2000s (Chinese clone of Merkur Futur). Nothing else feels as good nor shaves as smooth. It's all I've used for several years now. I'm actually considering asking for the real Futur this year for Christmas.

I've been using a Merkur 34c exclusively for years now. Only because I didn't realise that people owned more than one razor. I just assumed you bought one and used it until it died, or you did. :p

I found this place after a discussion about the parallels between vintage fountain pens and vintage razors (on a pen site: yes, I collect vintage fountain pens). And now I realise that the world of DEs is so, so much larger than I could have imagined...

Suffice to say, I have a vintage Gillette winding its way through the constrictions of the global supply system at the moment!

Hahahaha! I actually fell away from here for about 5 years or so and used only a Merkur 34C every day for that 5 years. I had (at one time) 800 Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Plats (black) and used only that blade. I'd never have more than 3 lather products in the den consisting of a soap or two and a tub of TOBS rose cream. I only used Pinaud Clubman A/S. Two brushes. Five years.

I recently came back here and got back into it all over again. But I'd call what I'm doing 'experimenting' not 'rotating'. I'm running a dozen blades or so through a vintage fat-handle Tech and a 1940's Super Speed, and I recently got a Schick Type M1 adjustable injector because that's what I started with in the early 1970's.

However, when all the experimenting is over, I will likely end up using one razor again, for the most part, with an occasional outing with the Schick. I won't be 'rotating' through a bunch of razors. Every year I do a few shaves with my birth quarter Red Tip, but that's it, I'm a mild razor guy.

I suspect I will end up back with the Merkur or the Tech as my daily driver with the Schick thrown in once in a while, with one blade again. I still have about 400 Gillette blacks, and will likely lay in a few hundred GSBs. I will, however, stay up at around a half dozen lather products, and I've added a couple of brushes. I now have three badgers, three boars, and a synthetic. Oh and a small travel brush.
I find this hard to imagine, my friend....

I've been using DE razors since June of 2019 & lately I've been mainly using one razor for the majority of my shaves. Just got it over a month ago. Have yet to find a blade it doesn't like but works best with sharp blades. The razor is the Merkur 34C.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It's true! Five years. One razor. It does seem fantastic, now that I look back on it. Switching up razors again today, :lol:

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I have been contemplating getting a Karve. My favorite de is my Gillette New SC. I love it because it hold the blade firmly and doesn't allow blade chatter. My Fatip also does this.Do you happen to know if the Karve does a good job clamping the blade down just as good or even better than the Fatip OC or New Sc?
I have both the Karve and the Fatip OC. IMO, the Karve is the clear victor in this comparison, perfectly aligning and securing the blade like a bank vault door. The Fatip isn’t as precise, allowing the blade to be tightened out of alignment.

I intend to reduce my razor rotation in the upcoming months. The Fatip will be the first to go. But the Karve will always be part of my rotation.

Most used is Rockwell 6c. But only one. Rockwell 6s or Gillette slim. Slim for me.
The Rockwell's and 2 Lord razors are the only non Gillette's I own.

I’ve been using DE’s for a few years now. In that time I have dropped at least a few grand on razors and blades. RAD never seems to subside.

Funny thing is I usually end up using my old Edwin Jagger DE89 with faux ivory handle and a Derby Extra blade made more than a decade ago. The combo is just right for me.

The Super Gillette Blue razor (China) was my first razor in June 2018, I used a reverse shim to shave my head and for my beard I used a shim, I used it for a year and a half, afterwards I changed the model

I broke my hand a long time ago, I have arthrosis in my right hand with which I shave.
Now, I decided to go back to this razor forever, I will never find a razor so light.

Top Bottom