What's new

One Razor?

I was up to 6…I gave my DE89 to a coworker…so now 5. And I’m thinking I could sell off my Slim Adjustable and Razorocks and just run with my Karve (2 plates mind you) and my post war Tech.
The Karve has been a revelation and I really don’t bother with much else…only the Tech if I want a mild shave.
I guess the Tech would be my travel razor, if I’m ever to travel again.
I’d surely grab another nice Tech if I came across one for a backup or would snag a nice older Gillette OC just to experience that.

I guess my answer is 2. My 80% off the time “A” razor and my 20% off the time “B” razor.
I have been contemplating getting a Karve. My favorite de is my Gillette New SC. I love it because it hold the blade firmly and doesn't allow blade chatter. My Fatip also does this.Do you happen to know if the Karve does a good job clamping the blade down just as good or even better than the Fatip OC or New Sc?

I have been contemplating getting a Karve. My favorite de is my Gillette New SC. I love it because it hold the blade firmly and doesn't allow blade chatter. My Fatip also does this.Do you happen to know if the Karve does a good job clamping the blade down just as good or even better than the Fatip OC or New Sc?

sorry, I don’t have experience with either of those razors. I can say that the tolerance for the locking pins between the base plate and cap are very clean and tight…the nicest fit out of any of the razors I own/have owned

I'm perfectly fine with the idea of having just having one razor. I only have one DE razor right now, a King C. Gillette, and a pack of KCG blades. I don't really love the razor, but it shaves OK and the blades are great. I'll dump the KCG when my modern Techs arrive and then I'll be back down to one DE razor (plus a backup). I also only have two brushes (a RazoRock synthetic and an EJ travel synthetic), and I pretty much just use one cream (it was Gillette Pure, now I'm back to C.O. Bigelow), so I'm squarely in the minimalist camp.

EDIT: I also have no real desire to spend a lot of money on my shaving equipment, so I stay with solid, reasonably-priced performers. The total cost to rebuild my DE shaving setup after the last cleanout and foray into the cartridge world was less than $50 (for two modern Techs, 50 Blue blades, RR brush, and two tubes of cream). My days of trying everything looking for something better are over and I'm just sticking with replacing blades and cream as I run out.

The thought crosses my mind with every razor I use that it could easily be my only razor. Everyone of them are that good and that enjoyable. My goal, just for fun, is diversity within these fantastic razors. So, with the differences between brass, copper, SS, OC, SB, aluminum, titanium, SE, DE, the numbers still add up. But a razor needs to stand out to me from the others to keep my interest.

I have little interest in collecting a bunch of gear but I still want more than one razor. I’m just getting started and am looking to find that handful of razors that I can rely on for their particular shave quality and experience. Fortunately, most user-grade vintage razors are inexpensive which is where my interest mostly lies. I may get another brush or two and a few more soaps but that will probably be it. I really enjoy shaving now in a way I never have and I’d hate to ruin it by spending a ton of money on things I don’t use and regretting it.

This one doesn’t exist but one can dream: an iKon Ti X3 head with open and closed comb sides on a RR Ti Halo handle 100 would be super sweet 😍

I mostly use one razor which is R41. Sometimes when I just want some change I switch to my Fatboy, Progress, Merkur 37C or DE89 but quickly get disappointed because they don't shave as close. I'm still on board with the idea of trying out new razors though

I have a single razor - a Rockwell 6S.

I use the 5 plate almost exclusively, but run with the 6 every so once in awhile.

I don't know why people have so many razors and then decide to only use a couple of them. I mean we all have 1 face so therefore 1 razor should be enough. Then again I have 4 razors but I actually use all and rotate. Would be happy with just 1.

Legion

Staff member
I don't know why people have so many razors and then decide to only use a couple of them. I mean we all have 1 face so therefore 1 razor should be enough. Then again I have 4 razors but I actually use all and rotate. Would be happy with just 1.
Because you feel the need to try everything before you settle on “the one”, and by then it has become a collection.

Who here in this forum uses only one razor or one razor for most of their shaves? Who here might have a large collection but still mainly uses one? I have a modest DE collection but mainly use one razor, my favorite Tech. I try to be a minimalist to some extent. How about you? What are your thoughts on it?
I only have one and only one razor. The Merkur 39c Sledgehammer. I like it THAT much I don't think anything else will supersede it. You will have to prise it out of my cold dead hands.

Jason.

I have about 20 old DE razors some in very good shape. I use the same ratty new type 98% of the time. No plating on the handle, in fact the handle is beginning to turn green. I decided to send this razor out for replating and started using a Merkur 42c I purchase years ago.

Reactions: Anu
I live in rural SE Asia so I have a lot of knives (Spydercos mostly) and quite a few machetes but only one razor….an AS-D2 which I’ve had for a few years. It has a dent from when I dropped it a while back, and tea stains from our hard water, but I still love it.

However, after reading this thread, I’ve just ordered a Scratch & Dent Timeless .68 which is being shipped tomorrow.

We only have cold well water so I’ve convinced myself that I deserve a little luxury.

I have a sensitive skin, I have been shaving since June 2018 with a Super Gillette blue Chinese. I tried about 10 razors that ended up in a carton box, I also tried combinations of handles and heads. I still haven't found the razor that works without getting irritation, I would love to find my magic razor so it becomes the "One Razor".

I am interested in purchasing a Yaqi oc head which is a copy of the Merkur 41c head.

I'm pretty desperate right now, wondering when I'll finally find the razor or combination that works best for me. :sad:

I have a sensitive skin, I have been shaving since June 2018 with a Super Gillette blue Chinese. I tried about 10 razors that ended up in a carton box, I also tried combinations of handles and heads. I still haven't found the razor that works without getting irritation, I would love to find my magic razor so it becomes the "One Razor".

I am interested in purchasing a Yaqi oc head which is a copy of the Merkur 41c head.

I'm pretty desperate right now, wondering when I'll finally find the razor or combination that works best for me. :sad:
Try the aluminium Razorock Lupo.

Top Bottom