What's new

One Pass Shave

Last week shaving doing the normal 2-3 passes, I nicked myself on the chin and upper lip. I kept accidently re-opening the following day or 2. Nothing more than weepers, but enough to be annoying. Took a day off, put a fresh blade into my GC .84 and last 2 days, did a one pass with the grain with nothing more than a slight touchup under the nostril.

I have to say, for me, one pass gets about 90-95 % of my beard. Face was really smooth with the grain.

Who here does just one pass?

I think I just shave and buff, just like when I was using carts. I pretty much use my DE the same as I would a cart. Long strokes on neck and cheeks, short strokes under nose and on the chin. To me it's just like using a one bladed disposable razor (Although a lot more comfortable!) I use shaving soap most of the time with a cheap brush I bought on Amazon, but sometimes if I'm in a hurry I use the white can of Gillette foam I bought at the grocery store.
For reference I'm using a Henson TI22 Medium and Astra SP blades (they are also cheap.)

I also frequently stick to one pass. If it's been a few days I might go with a second mostly XTG or do a little buffing WTG. I find one pass with my Feather blade is still closer than anything you could get with a modern multi-blade and way more comfortable.

Situations require different approaches. I normally shave every other day. Sometimes, I'll go three days if I'm testing out an edge on a straight that I recently honed or touched up. And once and awhile, I'll have a hot edge on a DE that is past it's prime and I get a few weepers. During the latter, I simply opt for "one and done" and call it good.

Whiskers grow back, so does the largest organ on your body (skin). Tomorrow's another day.

Long time member of the one pass and done club. I simply don’t want to spend any more time than necessary shaving and it’s just going to grow back in a few hours anyway.
Yeah, I'm long done with a 3 or 4 pass, 30 minute shave. I wish I would have committed to it earlier.

I'd rather be in and out, then have time to lounge around, spend time outside or listen to an LP.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Sometimes it becomes necessary for reasons like the one you experienced. One downward pass, as you said, will cleanup a great deal and get you by. Quick healing to you! I've definitely been there. It works.

My weekday shaves are generally one-pass affairs with a bit of touch-up on my neck. As long as I'm consistent, I get SAS or better. It takes less time, so I'm less likely to skip the shave altogether if I'm running a bit late.

Top Bottom