What's new

One Pass Shave

Hi guys!

I currently have a Muhle R89 and was hoping to look at something that can complete a shave with one pass. I was looking at something more aggressive like the R41 hoewever would like some further suggestions/thoughts?

Cheers

Lots of razors are up for the job provided the single pass is against-the-grain (ATG). Or are you looking for the closest shave you can get with a single with-the-grain pass (WTG)? Clarity on that point will probably help narrow down the answers. Also, a single pass is 25 strokes for some people and 500 for others. You can get BBS with a single ATG pass with a Gillette Tech with a 500 stroke pass. The more specific you are, the more helpful the recommendations will likely be.

Last edited:
My face is happiest with a (more or less) single pass WTG shave. Inevitably, I have to do some cleanup and the growth does change direction in a couple of places. I also have a fairly coarse beard. My go-to's are aggressive razors with sharp blades and this works well me. If that sounds anything like your situation, I would probably recommend something along those lines. I can't shave with razors like the 89, as my face is irritated by the time I've made enough passes to get all the stubble.

Where are you located and how much are you wanting to spend?

Maybe an Ikon Tech. You can buy the razor head separately if you want.

1619913396733.png

Lots of razors are up for the job provided the single pass is against-the-grain (ATG)

This.

With good prep, a shallow angle of attack (and good control over it) and decent blade rigidity, a single ATG pass daily will give me a solid SAS/CCS.... Doesn't matter if it's a mild razor for me, this is perfectly workable.

I quite often take more passes just because I enjoy it... But if I'm in a hurry or just not feeling it, this will give me a decent one pass shave on a single days growth.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Depends on ya beard, what you think is acceptable, how you prep etc etc ad nasueum .. you seem to be focused on the razor, which is a good aggressive razor, but the razor won't overcome the rest

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Hi guys!

I currently have a Muhle R89 and was hoping to look at something that can complete a shave with one pass. I was looking at something more aggressive like the R41 hoewever would like some further suggestions/thoughts?

Cheers
Get a Blackbird.

No matter what I use as far as lather, technique, blade, or razor ( I have tried everything from AS-D2 to R41, Ikon Tech, wide open Futur, etc ) I cannot get a BBS and comfortable shave with a single pass shave. However the closest I come is with a Feather blade in an R-41 with a thin non-foaming cream, think Cremo, Trader Joe’s, Kiss My Face. I can include Carts as failing a single pass BBS shave, Gillette Proglide, Sensor or Mach 3 all fail as well. Good luck, let us know whatyou find that works for you.

It’s certainly possible to shave with just one pass but the resulting shave isn’t going to be close. I settled for two passes (WTG then ATG) on most days which usually always results in DFS. If I am in a rush and only have time for one pass, then I’ll pick any aggressive razor such as R41, Timless .95 OC, Charcoal goods lvl 3, or an adjustable close to wide open.

I cannot get a BBS and comfortable shave with a single pass shave

Indeed - I guess that's part of the equation though...

As enthusiasts we enjoy multiple passes and pay close attention to the results (in detail).
A more casual shaver might only be interested in looking clean shaven (ie: SAS - socially acceptable shave) from a single pass.

There's also likely to be a bunch of other factors involved...
- How fast does their facial hair grow?
- How easily does it cut?
- How sensitive is their skin (can they handle more passes or is a limit of one to reduce irritation? How much razor aggression is acceptable?)?
- How skilled are they?

Yaqi has some inexpensive razors you might try
Helmet
Aggressive slant
Are just 2 Yaqi that come to mind
I'll Watching for the other efficient razors guys use that might get you in the neighborhood

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
For DE, I’m a fan of the Fatip Grande and Ikon X3 for one-pass ATG shaves (with the Ikon X3 head being easier for me to figure out for this task), but, also, I’ve found 2-3 passes of long, smooth strokes are a lot faster than a single pass full of short, overlapping strokes or loads of cleanup.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

- Budget: im open splurge a little
- WTG or ATG: happy to shave either/both ways
- Growth: Im like a kid with facial hair that doesnt connect across my face, i find myself shaving every 4-5 days.
- Sensitivity: Ive always used a 5 blade razor which uses to irritate my skin, however after moving to a DE blade my skin has enjoyed the shave. (Astra blades) I dont believe its as sensitive anymore.
- SAS: Yes

Ive purchased the R41 to give it ago however willing to continue adding to the collection as the addiction begins.

- Growth: Im like a kid with facial hair that doesnt connect across my face, i find myself shaving every 4-5 days.
@Daves88, with that kind of growth, pretty much any razor will do.

R41 was my first razor, you definitely don't NEED it, way too aggressive.

I'm of the opinion that the best combo for a great shave is moderately mild/aggressive razor paired with ultra-sharp blade (aka Feather).

If I were you, I'd be looking at RR Lupo .72 and Gamechanger .68 and Rockwell 6S/6C, for budget-friendly GREAT shavers.

If you'd like to venture outside DE territory, you might want to consider a modern AC-type SE razor, like RR Hawk V3-SB. Another excellent shaver, at very reasonable cost. Actually, probably the best SE deal in terms of V4$.

If you don't mind splurging, then obviously Blackland Vector, some come close, but none quite like.

If you don't mind splurging, then obviously Blackland Vector, some come close, but none quite like.

This looks awesome, blackland appears to have been mentioned a few times above..

Would you consider Blackland as a Rolls Royce of shavers? If not.. out of curiosity what are?

Top Bottom