What's new

One Pass Only. SR vs DE?

Still being very new to SR shaving but a DE shaver for many years now I am finding that after my first WTG pass a DE shave is significantly closer than the same shave with a SR. I'm wondering if this is just indicative of my inexperience and inferior technique with a SR vs DE or something to be expected? This is just after my first pass. If I take my time with the SR I can get the same or better results (in some places... cheeks) as I do with my DE so I know the results are attainable, just wondering if that first pass is a good barometer of my technique.

TIA
C.

With all the different "levels" of DE blade/exposure/gap/comb style.... and varying grind/hone/sharpness of straights, I think it is hard to say definitively. As a general assumption, I would think they would be pretty close. I know I have been straight shaving for quite some time and still find myself improving. I would venture a guess you will find the same.

I know some people here working with edges comparable to a DE blade can get a closer 1 pass shave than DE, but at my experience level (both shaving and on the stones), my DE shaves are initially much closer. DE blades are sharper than my personal SR edges and my technique shaving DE has been refined over a longer span of time.

Will time flip that around for me? Frankly, I could care less. With time will come improvement, and if you set yourself that specific goal I'm sure you will get there.

S

Scrubby

Tough one...... I can get a closer shave with less irritation from a straight compared to a DE, but it would take me several passes (ns+ew+we +sn). My first reaction as a daily straight user was “of course with one of my trusted straights”, but when I am really honest I think that I would have to vote for the DE when only 1 pass is allowed. Unexpected outcome. Good question.

I can get just as close a shave with a DE as an SE. With that said, if I had to pick one over the other I would say the SE will generally give a closer shave. When I say SE I'm talking about the Artist Club type razors. Like this one:

EJ-Arko.JPG

I could/can get a single pass BBS with my Gem MMOC or 1912. that's been my "in a rush, out the door" shave. I don't do that with a straight. I don't want or need to.

you'll get as good a you'll get if you stick with it.

The straight will have to be sharp. If so, you probably won't see much difference between a mild-to-aggressive DE and a straight.

That's my experience anyway.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Still being very new to SR shaving but a DE shaver for many years now I am finding that after my first WTG pass a DE shave is significantly closer than the same shave with a SR. I'm wondering if this is just indicative of my inexperience and inferior technique with a SR vs DE or something to be expected? This is just after my first pass. If I take my time with the SR I can get the same or better results (in some places... cheeks) as I do with my DE so I know the results are attainable, just wondering if that first pass is a good barometer of my technique.

TIA
C.
I often do just one pass. First pass is a good shave and when I do a second pass,’it is more or less a touch up pass. With a shavette, I usually only do one pass.

When you have a good straight and learn to get it very sharp, it will be closer than it is now.

What is noticeably more efficient than either, in one pass is a SE 50ml with a Feather Professional.

As an aside, the attraction of straights is not about the speed. Yes, some DE may be faster. And a powerboat is faster than a sailboat.

But I think your question was whether your technique is a factor here. Well, probably, but even when your technique improves, its still the case that DE blades are usually sharper than straight edges.

And while this may sound strange, us straight users often choose comfort over sharpness. We can get much sharpness from diamond pasted balsa, but many of use choose to use a coticule or a jnat, which is less sharp, but wonderfully comfortable.

And while this may sound strange, us straight users often choose comfort over sharpness. We can get much sharpness from diamond pasted balsa, but many of use choose to use a coticule or a jnat, which is less sharp, but wonderfully comfortable.

When I decided to give straights a go I knew there was maintenance involved but I had no idea... The intricacies of honing and different edges is almost overwhelming. Certainly my technique is far from what it will hopefully become so it has to be the biggest factor at this point, but I hadn't really considered that a straight could likely be less sharp than a DE blade, and that possibly intentionally. I do understand the argument of comfort vs an edge that can split atoms. Just have to get enough shaves under my belt to begin to understand what works best on my face.

Thanks!!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I think the results with one pass would be fairly equal for me with SR or DE. That being said, my DE tool would be a Super Speed loaded with an Astra SP blade, a combo I favoured when I was DE shaving.

There are a great number of variables in both camps. There are many DEs to choose from, with Feather being the sharpest, but others being more comfortable and smoother. The same variables are there for straights: grind, hone angle, type of steel, and most importantly, the finished edge. This is where straights take the lead. Some prefer an edge finished on a jnat stone with water only. Others will finish on a jnat with light slurry. Some prefer a coticule stone and others an Arkansas stone. There are many here that finish their edge on a balsa strop with diamond paste.

So the reason I say that straights take the lead is that with experimentation you can create that edge that works best for you. And that will require developing a skill. On the other hand, you can try different DEs with different edge exposure safety razors and also find what works best for you. So you can find the perfect shave for you and the path you take is your choice.

@Cahoots, what @Eastcoast30 said, really is at the heart of it.

This is a hobby and everybody enjoys it in a different way.

This online forum is a wonderful community of folk who really want you to enjoy your hobby. The way you personally want to do it, that's the right way.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
With a AC 50mm Kai Protouch with my AC Kai style folding shavette I can receive similar shaves(2pass with touchups), I have used SE & DE and know those razors well and know how to pre shave to get excellent results. I just bought a folding shavette in Jan 2021 approx and really enjoying it with a guarded blade. You need great technique to master a shavette with a naked edge IMO & which some say are harder than a Straight razor to master, a naked edge is so sharp and any error it will let you know who is boss of the shave.
I enjoy the guarded blades more than the naked edge blades for this Greenhorn when it comes to straights or Shavettes.
As for just one pass I would say it's all operator technique & experiences with either blade systems IMO! Safety razors would win with just my technique because of lack of experience with a naked blade and no safety bar. I will have to do a ATG with the Protouch guarded blade some day on just a 24hr growth.(not many folks do a one pass shave.)
Kai Luffy style folding shavette- Mfg- 2017--.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Last edited:
@Ron R I've thought about getting an AC shavette to eliminate the variable of the edge and my ability (or lack there of) to maintain it. But then I read how they are less forgiving than a straight and all the little bites from the straight immediately start stinging lol.

Shavettes which use a half DE blade are very unforgiving but IMO an AC shavette loaded with one of the milder AC blades is much easier to use.

There will still be a learning curve, of course, but a much less daunting one.

I never considered a single wtg pass from any razor to be 'close'.
There are so many variables that affect every shave; it's impossible for me to say, without exception, what type of blade is 'closer' on a first pass. Lather, skin, hydration, razor type, blade type, edge type, prep quality, whisker length, and so on.
Plus, I never do a single pass and call it a day. I pay more attention when I use a straight, 1st passes with them may very well be better just because of that. But how to qualify that, objectively and/or scientifically? Seems pointless actually.
The only thing I know for sure is that I get smoother shaves that last longer with a traditional straight.

Top Bottom