What's new

One-off stones

This could be a one of stone... @cotedupy recently got something similar with ice caps.. I've never seen anything like it specifically. 99.999% certain it's novaculite, really translucent in sunlight. I'm pretty sure its a very old washita stone that had a holder made by the next generation(pre electricity) but it's really hard and super fine with a light touch(very coarse with pressure, i.e. washita) but it's the finest washita I've ever seen and didn't realize until an hour ago. It hasn't gotten a razor yet but I feel she may soon. 20211024_162848.jpg

Digging up this necro thread, hold my shovel...

Trying out a couple oddballs from the internet. One Finnish natural, very fine phyllite that feels almost Ark hard. The other a Llyn Idwal, fine green novaculite. So far not the sharpest shaves I've had yet, but comfortable, and also haven't done a proper progression so no final conclusions. Mostly they're just both really cool!
ACAE0FF5-89F5-4C5D-8637-5C6747BBBE4B.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Digging up this necro thread, hold my shovel...

Trying out a couple oddballs from the internet. One Finnish natural, very fine phyllite that feels almost Ark hard. The other a Llyn Idwal, fine green novaculite. So far not the sharpest shaves I've had yet, but comfortable, and also haven't done a proper progression so no final conclusions. Mostly they're just both really cool!View attachment 1405899
That LI on the left is near identical to mine, and I love it. It's my go to knife finisher, but also puts a nice edge on a razor. I think they are of the type that was known as a Grecian hone.

6B087390-935A-46DB-803F-282EF07F9D91.jpeg

Last edited:
That LI on the left is near identical to mine, and I love it. It's my go to knife finisher, but also puts a nice edge on a razor. I think they are of the type that was known as a Grecian hone.

View attachment 1405960
Wow they really could be twins. I'm looking forward to getting a better base level.in this razor then seeing what she'll do. If it's close to my other Arks, I'm sure I'll be pretty dang happy.

View attachment 1405960

I may have been a little hasty in saying I thought yours looked like a Grecian D...

It certainly looks almost identical to my old one (now belonging to @captaincaed ). And I do have a small, definite ‘Grecian’ Idwal which is way coarser and faster than that one:

6008B0D4-9B69-4D04-A607-C545E59FAC28.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I may have been a little hasty in saying I thought yours looked like a Grecian D...

It certainly looks almost identical to my old one (now belonging to @captaincaed ). And I do have a small, definite ‘Grecian’ Idwal which is way coarser and faster than that one:

View attachment 1406020
Wow they really could be twins. I'm looking forward to getting a better base level.in this razor then seeing what she'll do. If it's close to my other Arks, I'm sure I'll be pretty dang happy.
Hmm. So much mystery with these old rocks.

Here's a one off mystery stone. I bought this at an antique store years ago. I have sought the expert opinions of many knowledgeable stone fanatics. Its been identified as sand stone, Hindostan, Dalmore, etc. It isn't a finisher but it does a great midrange job prior to a Thuri or Jnat. What's your guess on this one?

Attachments

• 0502151640_zpscr6i0ntl.jpg
    0502151640_zpscr6i0ntl.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 0502152114_zps7xvqlypk.jpg
    0502152114_zps7xvqlypk.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 0504151203_zpsj2h98soe.jpg
    0504151203_zpsj2h98soe.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom