What's new

One of the rarest vintage Gillette razors has found a new home

This puppy just got sold and i'm surprised that it went down so ''cheap''. I never thought that i'm ever going to see any of these for sale.

topkek.png

I was completely unaware of the existence of this thing. What's the story behind it?

Not much is know about this model. 4-5 of them are known to exist and they were made around 1947 as prototypes and most likely given to some of the high ranking Gillette employees to test them, but they were never approved for mass production even though some of the ideas were taken which lead to the creation of the adjustable razors.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Thanks for posting.
It was the first time I saw such a design, it was really interesting. :D

I could have never afforded to drop that coin but I can imagine hundreds of wealthy collectors interested in that gem and I'm surprised it went so low.
This sale is a reminder of how cheap the hobby of collecting vintage razors is when the rarest of items and a piece of history sells below the $2.500 mark.

R

romsitsa

Interesting to see that there are at least three versions of this razor (no emblem, thick knob, thin knob, numbered cap/not numbered).
I’d say rare variants of “hyped” razors will fetch really high prices (adjustables, US/UK hybrid Aristocrat) the rest rarely goes over 2k, doesn’t matter how rare or unique the given razor is.
And judging by the photos this example has some plating problems, so is closer to user grade than to mint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom