What's new

One Month with Invicta Pro Diver

NOTE: This is not meant to be a typical watch review. Instead, I'm attempting to highlight the items that led me to purchase (actually request - Christmas gift) the Pro Diver and reflect on them specifically. While some of it will be a review, I'm forgoing typical formats and some details. I hope that those who may be on the fence about purchasing this watch or not will find it useful. For those who already have a strong opinion, I'm not trying to change it. The specific model I'm reviewing is the blue faced 90940B.

• Movement. The primary reason I requested this watch is the automatic movement. This is my first fully automatic watch. I've worn it at least every other day, which has kept it running. I have noticed that especially if I skip a full day wearing it, I need to re-set the time. It is not stored in a watch winder. While this is slightly annoying, coming from owning mostly quartz watches, it is not a huge issue. I have enjoyed at times just watching the second hand "sweep", though it does seem a bit more jerky than I envisioned. My daughter noted that the second hand moves very fast, for example. She also referred to the hour hand as looking like a steering wheel. A horologist, she is not. :)
  • Caseback. Being my first automatic watch, I felt pretty strongly that I needed it to have a display caseback. I even avoided purchasing any natos for this watch because I didn't want to hide the movement. As it turns out, I've RARELY even looked at it. Yes, there's a bright yellow rotor under there. But other than that, it's pretty plain and not very interesting. I'm not sure if it actually raises the watch higher than a standard caseback would have, but if it does I would say it's NOT worth it. If you're deciding between 2 watches, and were leaning this way because of the display caseback, I may advise you to not use it as a deciding factor. It functions fine, but is not as impressive as I thought it would be.
  • Size. I don't have large wrists at all. I compared the 40mm crown, and found it the same size as a couple other watches I have that I felt wore well. I also own a pair of 44mm watches, which I would consider max size for my wrist. However, I feel the Pro Diver wears more like the 44mm I own than the 40mm. I'm not sure if it's the lug length, or the height, but it feels larger. It's not uncomfortable by any means (size wise...more later), just an observation.
  • "Diver" Styling. I never really consider myself a fan of dive watches....until I bought a Duro on a whim. I actually really like them. I realize this watch is debated heavily regarding it's very close likeness to another much costlier, famous watch. I can honestly tell you that I would not have looked at this watch and said "Oh, it looks like a...". It's a blue faced dive watch. I like it. Moving on.
  • Face. Another reason for purchasing this watch is the face. I had another blue watch, but it died. I was somewhat concerned based on internet pictures. Some seem to make the indices/hands very yellow-ish. In typical light, I do not notice this on the wrist. Internet pictures also indicate a very "navy" face. There's actually a pretty nice sunburst to the blue, at times giving it an almost purple look as well. I'm not great with words, but again I like it. The face is highly functional as a dive watch should be.
    • The cyclops is functional as well. It may be slightly off angle, but even inspecting it closely I can't say for certain. It magnifies the date well.
    • Regarding the text at the 6:00 position, it's very small. I could've forgone the "Professional" line to make the rest slightly larger.
    • Finally, a note on the lume. It looks nice when charged up with my flashlight. I've not timed how long it lasts. I imagine not long. However, I will say it is the ONLY watch I own that seems to charge up it's lume fairly well even inside. So, there's that.
  • Bezel. The color on the bezel, especially compared to the face, is what I call "Crayola 8-pack blue". It's certainly brighter than the face. I was curious if this would bug me, but it does not. The bezel feels fine when I move it, and seems very secure once it's positioned where you want it. I will say that it does not have as much grip as the Duro, but it is very usable on wrist.
  • Bracelet. I'll be ending here. I've yet to own a watch with a bracelet I really like. After spending a month with the Pro Diver...that's still true. I am hairier than average, and it's certainly snagged a few here and there. My main dislike of bracelets is the fact that as my wrist swells throughout the day, I cannot adjust the band accordingly. So my watch either feels too loose at times, or too tight at times. This likely doesn't help with the hair pulling potential. I did size the bracelet without major issue (considering I don't own actual tools). I'm also not a big fan of the friction lock. It's functioning fine, and currently has what I would consider an appropriate amount of grip. I just imagine that it will certainly become looser with time. The bracelet is one negative I had to this watch prior to purchasing it...and it's remained a negative. However, it's not really available without a bracelet. Just plan to add the cost of whatever band of choice you have to the potential cost of owning this watch.
That's all I can think of to note. I'm enjoying it, and looking forward to whenever my straps finally arrive in the mail. I'm happy to answer a question if someone has one. Hopefully it's helpful to someone. If not, I wasted about 10 minutes. I guess I could've used my bezel there, huh....

My first autos were Invictas along time ago. They were a gift from my father, then my neighbor stole them. Loved the display backs on them. Enjoying your watch is the best. Aliexpress has great straps if your looking still. I'm not used to bracelets yet either due to weight. Take care and have fun, it's another rabbit hole.

Good review and write up. How does to compare to the Casio Duro on your wrist? I presume the Duro is thinner but also larger, but hard to know how it feels on the wrist. I have avoided these medium-to-larger sized divers like the Casio Duro, Orient Mako, etc because of their size. I have a thick ~37mm that feels about as large as a medium 39mm, so I get what you saying about thickness.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review and your thoughts on the watch. The only thing lacking in my opinion is a nice photo of the watch. Yes,,, I would like to see it if possible.

Here is one I got for $60? I do have a nicer silver/black like an Oyster Perpetual for $70....no pic avail.... The Seiko machine is accurate, hacks and winds.

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_122607~2.jpg
    IMG_20190907_122607~2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
Good review and write up. How does to compare to the Casio Duro on your wrist? I presume the Duro is thinner but also larger, but hard to know how it feels on the wrist. I have avoided these medium-to-larger sized divers like the Casio Duro, Orient Mako, etc because of their size. I have a thick ~37mm that feels about as large as a medium 39mm, so I get what you saying about thickness.
The Casio Duro actually feels about the same on wrist, size wise. As you mentioned, it's thinner, so it does fall under a shirt sleeve easier in that regard. Of course, we are talking about ~4mm as well. So it's noticeable, but not huge.
I will add that I have been swapping between this and the Duro very frequently. The Duro is a great watch, and I doubt you'd be disappointed. Though I do believe I saw that they are removing the swordfish markings for 2021 and beyond. If that makes a difference to you, it might be time to find a 2020 that's still on the shelf. They added a couple of color schemes as well.

My first autos were Invictas along time ago. They were a gift from my father, then my neighbor stole them. Loved the display backs on them. Enjoying your watch is the best. Aliexpress has great straps if your looking still. I'm not used to bracelets yet either due to weight. Take care and have fun, it's another rabbit hole.
I have some straps on the way, but they seem to be held up in shipping somewhere. I'm glad I paid a little extra to get tracking on those. Part of me would really like to experience a "good" bracelet to see if it's something I'd like....but I imagine the "you get what you pay for" is true in that regard. And I'm a pretty budget minded individual. I certainly don't want to pay more for a bracelet than I did for the watch itself. :)

Thanks for the review and your thoughts on the watch. The only thing lacking in my opinion is a nice photo of the watch. Yes,,, I would like to see it if possible.
Yeah, I was rushing to type this up. Should've included a picture and just held off on writing it. I tried to capture the "purple" that I get on the face as well in the photo.
1611584979307.png

Here is one I got for $60? I do have a nicer silver/black like an Oyster Perpetual for $70....no pic avail.... The Seiko machine is accurate, hacks and winds.
How do you feel about the scalloped edge vs the coined edge? Any noticeable difference there?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
If you want to skip a day wearing it, but wish to keep the watch running, just manually wind it (which I believe newer Japanese movements permit) on your off days. Don't worry about overwinding it: automatics are designed to prevent this.

Enjoy your watch!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice 10 minute review. :wink2: Glad you're enjoying it.

I got rid of mine because the lume didn't cut the mustard. Most of my watches will hold enough energy to see the hands in the middle of the night, the Invicta did not. Good otherwise, a little far on the homage side of a you-know-what.

Top Bottom