What's new

One last brush to complete the collection

Here’s where I’m at and would love to hear your feedback. I have 10 brush stands and only 8 are being used. They are occupied by the following:

Semogue SOC Mistura
Shavemac D01 2 band
PAA Peregrino
Erebus and Terror with Tuxedo knot
Paragon two band finest
Spiffo! Silvertip
Blackship Grooming Whaler two band
APShaveCo G5C synthetic in a red snakeskin resin handle.

The 9th spot is reserved for a Zenith Manchurian.

Which leaves one spot for another badger brush…

I seriously don’t see myself getting another brush or parting with what I already have for the next 8 years until my sons are old enough to take up traditional shaving. So whatever I choose I better be satisfied with it.

Not interested in a custom brush though.
I have been considering something along the lines of a Simpson M7 in Best or Super, but all options aside from the custom brush are on the table.

I prefer a longer handle and bowl lather for the most part.

I look forward to your input.

Owning a Shavemac D01-2Band, Zenith Manchurian, SOC Mistura and Simpsons in Manchurian, Silvertip and Pure I would also vote for a Simpson to round of your brush selection.

Going by your overall selection I would suggest an Eagle G3 Pure as I believe the Shavemac/Zenith/SOC combo would overlap very much with the pricier Simpson grades.

If you would like to add instead something natural and soft then a Polo 8 Super would be a good choice as well.

I really like the handle on the Eagle G3. Just not sure about the knot. There is also the Simpson KH4 in best as an alternative. I have found over the years that I like a brush with the widest part of the handle at the base (like a Semogue SOC) or a chubby style handle where the waist of the handle is farther away from the base. (think Paragon signature handle).

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I really like the handle on the Eagle G3. Just not sure about the knot. There is also the Simpson KH4 in best as an alternative. I have found over the years that I like a brush with the widest part of the handle at the base (like a Semogue SOC) or a chubby style handle where the waist of the handle is farther away from the base. (think Paragon signature handle).
I agree. Back in December, I emailed Simpson to see if they offer the Eagle 1, 2, or 3 in super badger. They responded it’s not something they normally carry, but they would make one. I opted instead for a similar handle from Shavemac.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Chubby in Best? My reservation on Simpson Best is the typical observation which I can confirm that the knots vary widely. Still, the two I have are interesting brushes.

Maseto/MS in three band or two band? Every MS I've purchased has been a keeper and a pleasing brush every time I use it. Multiple handles and sizes are available.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I agree. Back in December, I emailed Simpson to see if they offer the Eagle 1, 2, or 3 in super badger. They responded it’s not something they normally carry, but they would make one. I opted instead for a similar handle from Shavemac.
Apologies @DrCarver. In rereading your original post, I see you prefer larger handles. I have a fondness for handmade, hand tied brushes. Simpson is iconic. A large handled best or super would be perfect. I like your thoughts on the M7.

I have a Simpson KH4 in best and also find the handle very comfortable to use. It is a very nice brush, but I find the knot to be better suited for bowl lathering than face lathering. I’m afraid it doesn’t get much use.

At this point I think I have narrowed it down to Simpson M7 in Best or Super, or Thater Two Band Beehive handle or “82 style”. While cost does factor into my decision I don’t want it to be the issue that makes me have regret in the end.

I not so comfortable trying to pick between the two lines of Simpson and then being dissatisfied with my pick.

I don’t have to make a decision right now and part of the enjoyment is getting better educated.

By the way, can someone educate me on the numbering system Thater uses, specifically the last number. For example: 4670/5

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just bought two more...a Yaqi and a RazoRock brush both synthetic.

Screenshot_20220425-210625.png

Screenshot_20220425-210602.png

Which leaves one spot for another badger brush…

I prefer a longer handle and bowl lather for the most part.

I look forward to your input.
I'm really enjoying my Yaqi badger brushes, they generate great lather, pillow like soft tips, nice scrubbers + excellent lather painters.
Yaqi 24mm Artic sky silvertip(nice handle)........................Yaqi 24mm mountain lake 2 band badger(nice handle also)
Yaqi #1 Artic sky 24mm Silvertip.jpg
Yaqi #1 24mm 2band badger Mountain lake.jpg

Have some great shaves!

A Simpson badger or a Zenith boar. Both are amazing.

Also, Zenith boars come in many longer handles. I have 2 Zenith boars and love them (and 20 badger and synth Simpsons).

At this point I think I have narrowed it down to Simpson M7 in Best or Super, or Thater Two Band Beehive handle or “82 style”. While cost does factor into my decision I don’t want it to be the issue that makes me have regret in the end.

I not so comfortable trying to pick between the two lines of Simpson and then being dissatisfied with my pick.

I don’t have to make a decision right now and part of the enjoyment is getting better educated.

By the way, can someone educate me on the numbering system Thater uses, specifically the last number. For example: 4670/5

I'm not sure how they come up with the model number, but /x is their size designation. Keep an eye on the vendor's description because they aren't consistent from one hair type to another.

If you really want to go for it and do not want custom, then my choice would be a Simpson’s
Chubby 2, 2 band Silvertip. You have no brush like it and I guarantee you will love it.

Doug

Top Bottom